96-98 cam in an 00-02?

99 Sidewinder

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Has anyone exchanged a 96-98 cam in a 00-02? Does it fit right in? What were the results?

Also, I have heard that the hydraulic lifters in 00-02 are "softer" in the 00-02, has anyone changed them over as well?

Fast Freddy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
what a waste of time. there is so little performance difference between the 2 cams. better raising your compression ratio and installing a aftermarket cam that has more lift and duration than stock cams.

OP
OP

99 Sidewinder

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What aftermarket cams would you recommend? I was planning on keeping the conservative stock compression ratio. My goal is to pick up some HP without sacrificing drivability (i.e. keep low end power and not stall at idle.)

What are good lift and duration #'s?
Should you go with a slightly reduced lift if the cam is used in conjunction with 1.7 ratio roller rockers?

Fast Freddy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
kill 2 birds with 1 stone. u are going to want t&d roller rockers eventually anyway. so ditch the cam idea and install 1.8 ratio rockers. this will give u more lift without increasing your duration. more power as a result of less friction and more lift without having 2 increase your compression ratio. best of both worlds.