96 GTS Pricing

Mighty GTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hello All,
I am about to purchase my first viper a mint 96GTS from the original owner with all paperwork,
service records, etc. He just got his 03. The car has 24500 miles. The prices seems to be regional
and fluctuate quite a bit, and I was wondering what you guys thought the market will bear in terms
of price. I have seen them on ebay as low as a 98 GTS with less miles for about 40k but that might
have been right price, right time kinda thing......
You can still get a warranty for the 96, but it is pricey, even from chuck tator, around 2500, so
I am keeping that in mind. I just don't want to get hosed, although I am willing to pay a little
more than market due to the circumstances above. Thanks for any insight......

BADVENOM

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If your going to take tihs car, the extended warranty is a MUST! The miles aren't bad if the car wasn't abused but you will hyave to have this car looked at first before you commit on an auction or at least go to the car and inspect it with someone who knows and can advise. Also check history of ownership..so on.Car is beautiful but if your patient you can find a car maybe from the first owner with all documentation if that makes you feel better. Their are some out there in the VCA classified and I think their is one on www.vipermania.com website

adam

Gerald Levin

Viper Owner
Reaction score
My opinion on this since I've been searching for a Blue/White for the last 2 months:
That car SHOULD be selling for 40K, but it isn't is it? You did not mention the price. The market is weak on a lot of Vipers but not the Blue/Whites. You hear "deals" on Blue/Whites which seem to be the exception rather than the rule. I've found that the Blue/White's from 5k-10k mi are priced at $50k +/-. There were 2 just recently on ebay with appx 25k mi and 45k mi and they both did not meet their reserve and the auctions ended at appx $39k. There was also the 700 mi. Blue/White that did not meet its reserve ($52.6k) when the auction closed. It did sell to the high bidder for what I believe was $52.6K after the auction (seller changed his mind on the reserve). It just dawned on me that you did not mention the color either. It would be nice to know if you are talking of the Blue/White and the price range.

BADVENOM

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gerald, He's speaking of a blue/white

adam

ps..If it were me and I wanted that color combo and year I would spend the 50 and get one with between 5000-10000 miles

of course buying from original owner would be preference but If and I do mean If it were from a reputable dealer like Bill Pemberton or Chuck Tator I'd have no problem with that!

adam

OP
OP
M

Mighty GTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'm sorry, I forgot to mention the color is blue and white.....Asking price is 45K....
I saw all the cars on ebay and they didn't meet their reserve......
If the deal was struck at 42.5 and I added the 2500.00 for the warranty, I'd be at
45K. For 45K, I may be able to latch onto a newer one with less miles and Possibly
some existing warranty remaining.....I'm not dead set on color...Thanks for the replys.
Joe.

genXgts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Joe,

See you just posted on the specifics of your potential deal, I was going to say 50K for a blue/white, ouch that's a little high!!

I had a 96 GTS Blue with 22K, 1st owner selling at an agreed 42,000, all original, Jenkins maintained (top rated Viper tech in Cali). Was arranging a flight and enclosed carrier (seller even was spilting shipping to Michigan) when someone bought it sight unseen. No big deal I found a 97 Cdn spec car for the same converted cash up here, which was what I wanted in the first place. This was last Feb and I wouldn't think prices have went up in the last year, if anything a little more southbound, good news for buyers.

The Cones just sold their 96 Blue/White with 11K at 45 asking, guessing a couple K lower sold for. Strong car with 4540 horse at the tires with cats and a muffler, nice!! (still listed in the classifieds on this site)

I guess 50K might be for a 1 or 2K car, but at that point, going on 7-8 years with surely OEM fluid in the rear end, tranny, clutch, brake, ,steering, etc, personally I'd take more mileage from someone not deathly afraid of a wrench (like the above mentioned car).

To each his own, let us know what you end up doing, if color is not a factor you could get more car for the buck by going newer for about the same cash!

Good luck,

Big Medicine

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'd say 42 tops. I bought mine w/ aprox 9,000 miles on it & a warranty for a little over 46. Pristine condition, not even any bug marks or rock chips. It was 8 miles from my house, so I deceided to pay a little premium for that; otherwise, I was set on shopping nationwide & paying about 5 less.

BlueGTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Where is BigCarrot when you need him?
He would say 32k for that car. :p

Seriously though. That is a great price for a blue/white car. You cannot add the warranty into the price of the car just like you should not add in shipping. All else being equal 42k for any GTS is very good. However, if you are not dead set on the color I would not buy it. The reason is you can pick up a 5k Red GTS's for 45k easy. You really get more car for the money when it is not blue/white.

pauls

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey, Blue and White owners suggesting pricing, Would you sell your car for $42K??? Market will be soft until the war is finalized, but a 96 Blue and White will fetch a premium beginning now and even more down the road.

BlueGTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I would not sell my car for 42k or even 52k for that matter. To duplicate my 1 owner 2k-mile car I would have to spend between 50k-55k and spend 3+ months looking for it. Then I would have to pay tax and ship it. Even 57k would not make me sell; do to the hassle of finding another perfect one. But since I am not looking to sell it would take top dollar to come between my GTS and me. I am sure others that are looking to sell their cars, would let thm go for around 50k.

Big Medicine

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No, I would not. But someone in a financial pinch might. I think 42 would be my ****** price if I was in a BAD pinch.

Toby

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My 2 cents...

0 to 2,500 miles in showroom condition = 55K+
2,500 to 7,500 miles in like new condition = 50 to 53K
7,500 to 15K miles in excellent condition = 47 to 50k
15k miles to 25K miles in excellent condition = 45 to 48K

Extended warranties add a lot of value as well.

My 96 GTS...priceless :laugh: