'96 RT/10 - factory 450/HP?

melzer

Viper Owner
Reaction score
\'96 RT/10 - factory 450/HP?

According to Dodge Viper Central, '96 RT/10's and GTS's all shared the same 450/HP motor. I have seen conflicting specs on this indicating that the '96 RT/10 had the 415/hp motor and the GTS, the 450. How can you positively identify the 415 from the 450 motor? From what I have seen, the 415 has what appears to be a pcv valve or venting tube on the driver side valve cover.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks......melzer

Reaction score
Re: \'96 RT/10 - factory 450/HP?

The 96 RT had a Gen one motor 415hp (alternator located between valve covers top front of motor) is easy to identify. The GTS 96 GTS was the first GENII motor 450hp.

My information is from ownership of a 96RT Red(McViper). Which was a great car.

OP
OP
M

melzer

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Fred.....

After looking at the pics of the '96 RT in question, I see clearly that it DOES have the alternator mounted center/top of the motor, like you said. I am going to buy this car. I'm waiting on receiving some original Dodge Viper dealer documents that indicate it has a generation II motor. Is there a possibility that although the alternator is mounted center/top that it could be a gen II? I am quite puzzled as to why a dealer service document would contain such information.

In your opinion, is there a great deal of difference in power/torque from gen I and gen II motors?

thanks for the reply.......melzer

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Why do you think it has a gen2 engine?
What is Dodge Viper Central?

OP
OP
M

melzer

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Joe...

The only reason is that the seller indicated (in a dealer service document that is being mailed to me)that it was a "second generation motor", a newer improved version for '96. Which I now realize is the 415hp "tuned" version with the air intake reverberation removed and the rear exiting exhaust, which allowed the motor to be rated @415hp over the original 400hp motors. I guess my assumption was incorrect in thinking that it was a gen II.

Dodge Viper Central link: http://www.vipercentral.com/

thanks for the reply......

ViperJoe

Enthusiast
Reaction score

The 96 Roadster HAS Gen2 suspension pieces (some of the confusion starts here). Of course the GTS had Gen2 suspension AND engine. The upgrade to 415hp of the 96 RT/10 engine now has many owners and sales people (that don't know their **** froma hole in the ground)thinking this powerplant is Gen2 when it is still Gen1 (this is waht finishes the speculation) (I call it Gen1.5)
I ran into this on several 96s I looked at the owners said it was a Gen2 car. One salesman I talked to thought Gen2 was Gen3 and the Srt10 is Gen4.
Go figure.
HTH
Cheers

NascarDave

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Melzer,
It sounds like the dealer isn't really knowledgable of what he is talking about. The 96 R/T did have the Gen II suspension, but, retained the gen I engine. However, the 96 R/T did get a 15HP increase over all previous Vipers which had 400HP factory. Sounds like the dealer may consider that 15HP upgrade as the GenII engine, which it is not.

Another possible explaination could be that the engine was rebuilt by Arrow Racing. If that is the case, it is still a Gen I engine. Sounds like the Dealer is a little confused.

Good luck,
DN

Joseph Houss

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score

Factory rated at 415 HP! Viper Central (just an enthusiast site... not a Dodge site, nor a VCA site) only stated the one engine..... Gen 2.

Absolutely NO RT/10's left the factory in '96 with a Gen 2 motor.

OP
OP
M

melzer

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Thanks to everyone for your responses and the heads up on the Gen I/Gen II issue, however, I didn't get any feedback on the question below....

"is there a great deal of difference in power/torque from gen I and gen II motors?"

Being quite used to 'stump pulling' torque in a reproduction Cobra 427/450hp, I really don't want to be disappointed after buying a 415hp RT/10. Can anybody comment on the above?

thanks again......

REDSLED

Enthusiast
Reaction score

"is there a great deal of difference in power/torque from gen I and gen II motors?"

I currently own a Gen 1 RT/10 and a Gen 2 GTS and I would say that the power and torque are pretty close. I drive both cars on a regular basis and when I step on the gas both cars have the same feeling during launch. The GTS handles so much better but as far as power & torque they feel pretty similar. If you purchase the 96 RT/10 and you feel that there isn't enough torque you could always put in 3.55 gears ($1K total cost) and you will feel a greater seat of the pants sensation during acceleration.

Reaction score

The power is a little lower in the 20-30hp range to the rear wheels. The car (my 96) would keep up with the stcok GTS on road trips and a litle side by side playing. It is very hard to tell the difference. The 96RT handling is better then the 92-95 due to the GEN2 suspension changes.

OP
OP
M

melzer

Viper Owner
Reaction score

REDSLED and Fred......thanks for the input. For awhile there, I thought that my viper search would have to start all over again, only looking at gen II cars. You helped put my mind at ease. thanks

Reaction score

The only draw back is the side curtains. I think I would look at a 97RT first just to see if the improved visibility and creature comforts are worth a newer model. Also in 98 the airbag passenger on off was added which is a must if you have kids. The 96RT has no Air Bags. One of the most useful additions was the electric side mirror adjustments from inside added in 99. Not to confuse you just for your info. Want the back to basics model with the best handling the 96 is that model. Just make sure the head gaskets are checked for leaking/weaping. FYI with Edelbrock headers, Borla Cat back, K&N filters, Stock Cats opened to 3" in and out, my 96RT had 397 rear wheel HP.

OP
OP
M

melzer

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Fred,

I didn't know that '96 RT's lacked air-bags. Oh well, I'm an "older timer" (notice I didn't say 'old timer') geez....at 52, not quite there yet. So I'm used to driving my Cobra with no air bags and my '74 corvette has none either....the Cobra is just about as down and dirty a spartan ride as one could stand, without having to pedal the thing. My cars don't go out in rainy weather (knowingly that is) Guess I'll just have to settle for the seat of the pants approach in the '96/RT. Fred, believe me, after driving a Cobra any gen1 RT would seem like driving in the lap of luxury!! :laugh: :laugh:

BTW, what brand of smooth tubes would you recommend?

thanks for the input