96 VS 97 GTS

Marv S

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
if proper service updates have been done the only difference today is cosmetic.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The rims are different. Welded, not forged, not a problem for street or strip. Big problem for track, but it would be good to have a second set of rims for tracking anyway.

They are also not as high polished as 97.

kverges

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wheels are different - '96 wheels have been know to fail in spirited driving and sticky tires are a bad idea on '96 wheels.

I have personally seen a '96 wheel fail and would not have a set on any car that gets driven hard.

OP
OP
O

OLXRAM

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Crap I didnt know that. Now it makes me think twice about driving my car hard..Its put away for the winter now anyway. This spring I want to have Heffner do some work on it so i'll get some new rims then

Ron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Fairly easy to get 1997 or 1998 5 spoke wheels to replace the 1996 cast if you're so inclined.

I did.

Marv S

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Forgot about those (in)famous cast 96 wheels. My bad. & yes, those look like street Pilot Sports on Superbar's wheel. Some '97 are said to also have gotten these cast rims but most 97 have forged.
You must be registered for see images

and on a car several years ago in TX on a street MXX3 tire:

65brokerima.jpg

65brokerimb.jpg

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
There are collectors that would argue for the 1996 GTS as it was the first year. I personally argue for the 1997...more sorted out...though, in fact, either would be fine as a driver. I hold the opinion that there are/have been FAR MORE oil leaks with the 96's...which are, of course, fixable. Pick to one in the best shape within the allotted budget and GO FOR IT !!!!

Ron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Since you're the owner of a 1997 GTS I'm not surprised you say that Steve, but as we all know there can only be 1 first. :D

Venom 1000TT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Also the stripes go all the way thru the rear license plate area, IMO which looks better. Also 96's are much faster! :headbang:

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Possible reason that the 96 stripes go lower in the rear...as a measure of the leaking oil blowing rearward ???
:eek: :cool: :cool:

genXgts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
haha,

turns out the rear stripe delete in 97 was due to alignment issues trying to get the stripe to line up thru all the panels. Good solution, just drop the stripe!! :confused:

Other than that and the rims there are other small variations such as the weather stripping on the door is one continous piece on a 97 where as in 96 it is a two piece affair. (along the door between glass and door panel from the outside).

I went with late 97 hoping things were "sorted out", turns out 97 had some more sorting of it's own. Oil pain, rear main seal, intake gaskets.

Both near identical cars and splitting hairs if even a few hundred units in 96 (brand new plant remember at the time) compared to anything later including 97.

Pick your fav color and go from there was my thoughts which lead me to 97.

genXgts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Chucko,

Back to reality already, which blows as I was sun tanning yesterday morning, not good!

Thanks for the hospitality Sat night, and so sorry for the drunk guy. You know, every group has one.....thought he was going to hurl on your Purners!:D

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
As Ryan said, each year has it's issues...but, overall, EITHER year is FINE.. .blue/white paint job is THE GTS color !!!!

Kurt 97 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know several people who have experienced rattling door glass on their 96 GTS. Have not experienced this on my 97 GTS. No big deal though!!

Big Medicine

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have difficulty keeping all four tires grounded at red lights. It just sits there & rocks back & forth as each cylinder fires. Maybe the source of rattles.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
potterb4