96 wheels

Ron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<FONT face="Comic Sans MS">Remember that 1996 GTS wheels were cast rather than later years (97.5 & 98) forged and from what I've been told (though I don't understand why) chroming could make them even weaker.

Keep an eye out for spoke cracks on the inside where the spokes meet the center hub. Typically happens only if tracked with higher than stock adhesion tires.</FONT f>

FLX109

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had my wheels chromed and they seem to have polish marks or slight scratches underneath the chrome, almost looks like paint brush marks,I'm not happy, but I was told that you have to expect that with these wheels, Is that true? Anyone ever have this problem before? Are the 96 wheels harder to chrome? thanks
Bill

HP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Maybe, what they should have said was "It's what you can
expect for the price", so either you got the work at a lower
price(but less quality), or they made more by not putting
the time in to do it right. You can chrome almost anything,
provided you prepare the work first, and a good chrome job(or
any other plating) requires a series of steps before the actual
chrome plating. Correct cleaning, polishing, and then zinc, copper,and nichol(triple plating) are the foundation for
a good chrome job. If any part of this is not done right,
you get a crappy end product. *the zinc primary coat, is
used for chroming aluminum, and not necessary in other applications.

Kurt 97 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My 97 GTS wheels are chromed and look very nice. Have not noticed anything like what you are describing!!....Kurt

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
As Ron said above, be careful with 96 wheels. One our our fellow members has a 96 GTS with chromed cast wheels (small amount of track usage, stock tires)...developed cracks...one wheel had 2 of 5 spokes fully cracked!!! If you want the look of chromed 5 spoke wheels, I would strongly suggest going with 97-98 wheels and a HIGH quality chrome shop.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dale04SS