97 GTS Custom Exhaust Selection?

snkbyte

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am a new viper owner having just purchased a 97 GTS. It has stock exhaust and I am interested in replacing it. I see Borla, and others out there. What is the most popular brand/model most often selected. Are there websites with sound bytes out there for manufacturers? Suggested URLS's? Any other advise is welcome. Not interested in installing Headers at this time. Thanks, Eric <font color="blue"> </font> <font color="red"> </font>

v10kingsnake

Viper Owner
Reaction score
i have a 97gts with a borla cat back and i dyno'd 442rwhp. with just this mod alone! and this number was not sae corrected! i will tell you that the borla has the best sond for the car if you want to hear your motor. if you like a quieter approach take the corsa, but i have not seen any other car on the website dyno as much of an improvement of stock with just this mod gave my car. in fact i never bought headers yet and most guys are just at or barley above my numbers with full exhaust with headers! most im within 1-4 rwhp of their numbers.

VPRVENM97

Enthusiast
Reaction score
snkbyte,

This question comes up pretty regularly. You're going to get a lot of differing opinions on the various catback systems out there. The things that everyone agrees on are:

1. The stock sound is weak.
2. Opinions on exhaust sounds are subjective.
3. You should listen to the various systems in person and judge for yourself.
4. Go to a VCA meeting where you'll find a wide variety of systems.

I went with the Corsa system. Corsa IMHO has the best looking exhaust tips but the sound wasn't what I expected. With the stock manifolds and stock cats it sounded a lot like a UPS truck. I've since switched over to headers and high flow cats. The combination sounds great now. Tolerable at cruising speeds with no drone and just mean at WOT.

Which ever system you decide to go with, make sure you also change to high flow cats (or no cats if you want it really loud).

Here's the link to the Corsa sound file.

Corsa