97 GTS keeps throwing serp. belt ???

sweet gts

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have thrown the serpetine belt twice now. The 1st time I thought it was a fluke but it came off again. Any thoughts....has it stretched and needs replacement? Also running a Roe. Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks Steve
PS This really $&#@*! to fix on the side of the road in 90 degree heat!

Martin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Do you have a new PS pulley on it - or is it stock? The stock PS pulley has a tendency to break right at the center, and the first sign of it getting ready to totally go is either a chronic loss of power steering, or a serpentine belt that flies off. The pulley can fail in a mode where it rocks side to side when spining - and that can throw the belt.

The other possibility is your tensioner. Even if your belt has worn a bit, the tensioner should keep it tight enough to not get thrown off.

Check both of those, and I'll bet one if them is the culprit...

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Also make sure that the crankshaft bolt is tight, if the damper hasn't been pinned. (or even if it has, I guess.)

RobZilla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The "snout" or input shaft on the s/c is designed to leak a slight bit of oil. That ensures the unit is working properly. On the top of this shaft just behind the pully wheel you will see the bolt.

You need to be sure and wipe this oil away from time to time or it can get onto the wheel and cause the belt to continuously slip off as you have described.

All above mentioned should be checked as well.

:usa: