98-99?

SnakeBolt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
from what i have read the 99 year and above came with a different cam, and some other things were changed as well. what were these? i have also read that the with the changes the 99's and above do not respond as well to bolt-on mods...is this true? is a stock 99 and above slower than a 96-98? still trying to settle on model year but i am pretty sure a black 99 is where i want to go....

thanks

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You can do a search on it, but here is a quick synopsis: The cam was changed for model year 2000, so a '99 and earlier have the "lumpy" cam. One of the reasons they supposedly went to a more mild cam was to avoid "NGR", or Neutral Gear Rattle. I am told that many, many Vipers experience this to varying degrees, which is just a rattle of the gear/gear shift due to the loping idle of that cam. Because of the nature of the cam (and I am no mechanic), it offers a much better response to bolt-ons, mainly headers. Where a '99 might see 35+ rwhp from good headers, a '00 may only see 5-10 rwhp.

One other important thing to note: The 2000+ Vipers (including the SRT) have hypereutectic cast pistons instead of forged. While the factory claims they are 38% or so stronger than the forged pistons of the '99 and earlier cars, most agree that they should not be used for extensive power adders such as nitrous or supercharging. Here is an interesting article about the strength of forged vs. hypereutectic cast pistons.

As far as being faster or slower, most of the Gen II's are pretty comparable out of the box. There are supposedly some '97's that run exceptionally strong, while you will also find a very few cars that just don't have the oomph from similar years. I know that my '00 (mild cam) could beat most of the '96-'99 Vipers running stock for stock (tubes and filters anyway). At our dyno days events, we have seen a couple 2000's with much better horsepower than the other Gen II's present with siimilar mods. Once you add headers, the earlier Gen II's will usually take the gold.

Hope this helps to answer some of your questions!

Chris

OP
OP
S

SnakeBolt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
didnt the interior undergo somewhat of a makeover sometime in there as well? connelly leather was it? thanks chris, that makes my choice easier. i STILL think a 99 black is the way to go....yay....i can't wait for Feb.....

Kevin Stitely

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The connelly leather is definetly a step above the standard equipment. I have a 99RT/10 with the connelly leather pkg and love it. As for the rest of the interior, very nice indeed, except for the OEM stereo system. I basically replaced the entire system with an Eclipse 5v pre-output head unit, JL component system in the doors, JL sub between the seats, and a JL 300-4 channel amp. My advise, stick with the 99.

Ron Hickey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
From a non-engine standpoint, the 99 (as compared to 98) offers 18-inch wheels and Pilot Sports; brushed aluminum interior door handles, gauge trim rings, and parking brake handle; power mirrors; interior hatch release.

Jim Hodel

Enthusiast
Reaction score
99 was the first year of the 'fat' spoke 18 inch wheels and also does not have the plastic covers over the fog lights. 99's also have a rear hatch release along the driver's seat.

My feeling is that the any differences in cam don't amount to much, and that the cars are so close in overall performance that individual variations are probably more significant then year.

I look more at vehicle condition, miles, price, location, color, other mods, etc then year.

Jim

OP
OP
S

SnakeBolt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
did most of the 99's come with the connelly leather interior or is that pretty rare? also, what color is it? standard black? is it just a seat upgrade or is it more? i think a black coupe with the tan interior would be very very nice
smile.gif

speedshftr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
well ive had a 96 ,2000 and now a 99.from my opinion the 96 had a real old style rumble to her and it ran hard.my 2000 did not have the rumble but at idle you could hear some lopeyness.the 2000 also ran very hard.now to my 99 it rumbles alot but in a more of a exotic fast rumble,unlike the 96 which sounded like old school.so far the 99 runs hard but i think out of the 3 the 96 was the beast of the bunch.not by much though.the 2000 ran smoother than them all though.every car has a different feel i think.go check them out and decide for yourself.just be careful

Kevin Stitely

Enthusiast
Reaction score
SnakeBolt,
Not sure if you've checked out the Viper Registry on this site or not. If not, go to the section labeled "Viper Registry", then select "Vehicle Registry Build Information". There's a wealth of inforamation regarding the build out of vipers. Regarding the connelly leather pkg, here's what the registry says, '99 Notes: 169 Roadsters with Cognac Connolly Leather interior: 3 Red, 50 Silver, 116 Black".

genXgts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Interesting, that year over year chart states cam changes in 98 and then again in 2000 on overlap, first I've seen that.

96-97 cam identical.
98 spec change on intake/exhaust lift.
99 same as 98
2000 overlap reduced over previous.

That's the first I heard of that, I would venture out and say that chart is in error,......?
confused.gif

It's discussions like this that help pass the winter months Viperless, please engage further
smile.gif

ACR Joe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JBenko:
According to manuals and Mopar catalog PNs the '96 - '99 have the same cam.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

JBenko is correct.