98 GTSR vs GTS

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'd like to know what differences exist between a 98 GTS-R from the factory and a 98 GTS from the factory. Especially stuff underneath the car....not interior bits or cosmetics. I.e. were there different gussets/welds in places that can be seen from underneath? Is the frame/suspension geometry even a little different?

I know that very few people have experience with the GTS-Rs since there were so few of 'em made but anyone who may know please chime in.:drive:

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not much diff. Just a poser car with the racing looks on the outside but stock everything underneath (including shocks) which is why an ACR or even my lightly modded GTS is faster on the strip&track.

ohh, it has smooth tubes... so + like 10 hp over stock

OP
OP
D

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks. I wondered if I had one. Will probably never know its provenance since its a race car and has had the VIN removed along with a bunch of other cosmetic identifiers.

Not a big deal either way, just wonderin'.

One additional point is that the GTS-R block has smaller main journals which, in theory, allows it to spin safely at higher rpms which would be an advantage on the track, but I imagine they were limited to 6200 just like all the stockers from the factory.

My build is said to support 7500, but I keep it below 6500 because its expensive to have billet cranks made.

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sounds like misinformation here. Are you asking about the 100 white cars with stripes that had the BBS wheels, front canards and I believe 0 downforce rear wing? If so that is not a real GTSR, but a GT2. The real GTSR's were in fact completely modded race cars from top to bottom. Factory GTSR's had a totally different suspension which included differentials which were based on Dana 60's and not the 44 in stock cars. GTSR's were also fully caged with fuel cells, real racing brakes, transmissions etc. If I'm not mistaken, they made about 750 HP and the engines were built by the former Caldwell engine shop.I know Dan Craigin knows the history of these beasts.

OP
OP
D

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Camfab, yes, that's what I was asking about. Mine appears to be one of those. I have the original books from Caldwell Engineering's build, it does have a really unique fuel cell (bladder replacement cost a fortune), cage, trick Porsche GT2 brakes (although the calipers have "Viper" stenciled on them!), Motons all around and a bunch of other stuff. The info on the rear end is very helpful as this would be noticeably different from stock. I'll contact Dan and send some pix of the non-stock stuff and maybe he can verify. The car won class in SCCA in 1999 and then was set aside for 10 years until I snagged it.

Fatboy 18

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If your car is a genuine GTSR, it should have a racing chassis number :) The bodywork should also be wider than stock, engine X cross brace etc etc. Very different from a stock chassis, Do you also have a dry sump set up, side exit exhausts? Air deflectors to the front brakes? The list can go on and on!

Nadine UK has a Genuine GTSR, Im sure you could ask her a few questions :)

Do you know what colour yours was originally? Was it a white one with Blue stripes? Dose it have the extra Front driving lights in the hood and the racing engine vent located in the centre of the hood?

Pics please :)

AAKVIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'd like to know what differences exist between a 98 GTS-R from the factory and a 98 GTS from the factory. Especially stuff underneath the car....not interior bits or cosmetics. I.e. were there different gussets/welds in places that can be seen from underneath? Is the frame/suspension geometry even a little different?

I know that very few people have experience with the GTS-Rs since there were so few of 'em made but anyone who may know please chime in.:drive:

Rare car...less then a thousand made..I think

Cobraken

Enthusiast
Reaction score
GTSR no vin # not streetable = pure purpose built race car. The chassis has a race chassis number. Believe there is a guy in Italy who owns about 20% of all built.

GT2 commemorative street car has a vin with a numbered plaque. 100 built.

CA97GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I believe one just sold in a Mecum auction, might be some info on the Mecum site.
I think it was around $87K.

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's like two different conversations going on here, where the guys talking about the GT2 cars keep rambling on. HE IS NOT TALKING ABOUT THE GT2!

I believe Snake Oyl has those GTSR rear ends in stock, or at least they did at one time. They look very similar to the stock diff, but much bigger

Fatboy 18

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's like two different conversations going on here, where the guys talking about the GT2 cars keep rambling on. HE IS NOT TALKING ABOUT THE GT2!
Exactly, I guess if you watch some early viper development and racing there were a lot of white vipers racing. This is probably confusing the guys thinking the GT2 limited edition was those cars.

OP
OP
D

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Camfab and Fatboy. I'll post some pix in a few mins.

OP
OP
D

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here're some pix of the car and the non-standard Viper parts of the build:

The crank from the underside:

viper_crank_002.jpg

The car in the livery it ran in the VRL in the late 90's:

Race_Car_Rear.JPG

Good mechanical grip, up on 2 tires (crappy Goodyears at that) around T5 at Road atlanta

Joey_Chitwood.JPG

The cage:

Roll_cage.jpg

The front of the engine bay. Ignore the Gen 3 intake - that conversion was done recently....but note the frame extensions (where the Moton is mounted), there's a framed-box that extends upward in the engine bay

DSC_02031.JPG

Does any of this he;p identify the car?

Hoosier Daddy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Back then those cars were usually stock vehicles that were torn down and rebuilt for the purpose of racing only. Usually from a wrecked or salvage titled Viper. It was not uncommon to spend north of 100K modifying them above the cost of the vehicle. Usually also selling the stock components that were taken off in good shape. I did quite a few Viperdays events in 2000-2004 and did not see that vehicle out east. Your best bet is contacting Archer Racing, McCann Racing, Chris Barone or Autoform to see if they might have did the transformatiom or build.

GTS-R 001

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looks like a regular Viper converted for road racing, the cage looks like a McCann or an Archer.

McCann did convert on of the original collector 1998 GT2 cars to a race car, this could be it, If you can find a Vin it could help, if the engine is original check for the pin stamp on the block. The 100 GT2 cars all had sequential serial numbers #001 to #100, I used to have # 001 and #070 so I can vouch for that.

Your car is definitely NOT a GTSR.

Cobraken

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Agree with GTSR-001. GTSRs were factory race cars and not converted cars. Most went to Europe. I believe Maurice's book touches on the GTSRs

OP
OP
D

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Its undoubtedly a conversion...I just had no way of telling before the comments on this thread. Actually a builder involved with this conversion PM'd me and we now have a connection for the provenance of this ride. I love running the thing - wasn't looking for a big payday or anything....just wondered where it came from!

Bonkers

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
wasn't looking for a big payday or anything....
just wondered where it came from!

It's all good - I'm actually glad you asked, we can
revisit an old misunderstanding:

The 1998 Special Edition GTS did have GTS-R
written on the side - when 99% of people ask
about the GTSR, most here automatically assume
you want to know about this car. The 50 Oreca
built track cars, the geniune GTS-Rs, were built
in 1996. Since Dodge did not sell in Europe at
the time the GTS-Rs were Chryslers and had
very little in common with the road car, you
know the difference when you see one in