A brief introduction

vbzatty

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've been lurking on this forum for about a year. I bought a 2004 SRT-10 that had been hit in the rear. I tore it down, put it back together, and had a shop paint it. The frame was pushed down about an inch behind the suspension so it was an easy fix. A rear toe link was bent, for some odd reason the steering rack was busted, but no damage otherwise up front. Everything fine doors forward.
While I had it torn apart, I decided to do a few mods. I started with a Paxton supercharger. Not at all impressed with Paxton's solution for fuel control I looked into other options. I went with Roe Racing and purchased their twin in-tank pumps, 69lb injectors, 2 bar MAP, and SCT programmer. I also got their billet throttle body, crank pin kit, and 170 degree thermostat. I also used the Mopar full exhaust and wrapped the mufflers in thermal wrap.
Also not happy with Paxton's tiny little water tank and IC, I scrapped their system and built my own. I got a heat exchanger online that fits perfectly in front of the radiator, and then built a custom aluminum tank which sits in the trunk opposite the battery. It's almost flush with the trunk floor so little storage was lost. Lastly, I ran a water injection system to help deter detonation. Right now it shares the same water tank as the IC coolant (which has 4 gallons of distilled water). Both the water injection and secondary pump are activated by a 2psi trigger switch.
As a neat little upgrade, I pulled all the factory gauges in the center console and replaced them with Apex gauges (water injection flow rate, fuel pressure, oil pressure, coolant temperature). In place of the dummy lights is a PLX gauge which I can set to watch boost, A/F ratios, or OBDII readings.

After a long year of building, waiting on the bodyshop, and messing with the BMV, today was the first day I got to drive it! First stop was the alignment shop. After that it was time to try it out! HOLY CRAP! I am no novice when it comes to performance cars (twin turbo Vette, Porsche 996TT with 600hp, Ferrari 360) but this thing is a whole new animal! I have only driven it 30 miles or so on county and state roads but it is a beast. Yet to experience WOT as it breaks the tires loose too quick! And with no traction control to save me, I am quick to back off. I can't wait to get it on the interstate!

A couple of concerns. The handling is not what I am used to but I don't know if it's normal considering the mega wide tires. It tracks straight but uneven roads and it's all over the place. Wandering, tracking, bumpsteer. I don't know. Normal? Suggestions?

Second, this bad boy shoots flames! Not all the time, mainly when decelerating from a hard run. I assume this is normal with the high performance exhaust and mods I've done.

Anyways, now that I'm up and running I'm sure I'll be posting more!

Colby

Attachments

• 2012-04-01 19.27.59.jpg
    2012-04-01 19.27.59.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 61
  • 2011-04-25_20-23-26_579.jpg
    2011-04-25_20-23-26_579.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 65

viperscott

Viper Owner
Reaction score
congratulations on your beast
I am not an expert here, but I can suggest 2 things:
1- maybe you need new rear struts. I also had few german and italian toys before and was expecting better handling. exactly like you. But in my case solution was easy.
Chicago place screw up my alingment and when driving fast on bumps car almost wanted to change lines. When I went to real Viper tech and he did it right - car was way better right away. Tech suggested also new rear struts, plus I got ACR aero package - and now car is like glued to the road.
I also heard that after rear toe is moved/dislocated - it is hard to make it right again, however it is some room for adjustments.
2 - change those crappy tires and you will not have so much spinning problem

good luck and drive safe
Scott

OP
OP
V

vbzatty

Enthusiast
Reaction score
9k original miles, so struts should be good. Stock tires are runflats right? If so they definitely need to go even though they still have plenty of tread. Does the aero kit help much under 60-80mph?

Colby

viperscott

Viper Owner
Reaction score
mileage is not everything... Car was hit, and even if impact wasn't directly in strut or wheel, you don't know if car spinned later, if it didn't hit any curb, and also who and what way handled car before you got it. I know what I am talking about since I also am not afraid to rebuilt cars like this and had many different, sometimes even almost impossible stories. It is enough if auction guy used forklift to move a car - and lowered it too fast, or did it before he stopped first - he could damage shock. Not to mention guys who tow cars from accident place, if owner didn't drive it - they don't give a crap...
I am NOT telling that this is an issue here - just telling you that mileage is not everything.

rear wing gives huge downforce not only when driving 150 mph. Doing 60-80 you also feel difference and car is way more stable. Of course it is not this huge number, but still a lot, and faster you go - more it gives.
personally - having paxton I will put aero package, but most important - really good tires

viper04

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Vbzatty
Any more pictures on the set-up (water tank)? Thanks.

OP
OP
V

vbzatty

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'll take some more tonight and post later.

Colby

DMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
First - awesome, yes more pics please.

Second - only thing I'd say about struts is on my 03, I had two dead by 10,000 mis, so .... don't count on them based on mileage.

And I echo the tires, if those are stockers, in stock form they need to go, with your setup, they really need to go, stock ZPs track all over & don't compare to other options out their. I just put on the new gen PSS's and I can tell they are rockin. Of course, with your power, going thru those tires should be no problem. ;-)

cubican

Enthusiast
Reaction score
First off welcome, Change the tires for the super sports a-sap, and put some Penske or motons shocks.

Last edited:

slysnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A couple of concerns. The handling is not what I am used to but I don't know if it's normal considering the mega wide tires. It tracks straight but uneven roads and it's all over the place. Wandering, tracking, bumpsteer. I don't know. Normal? Suggestions?
They are well known to follow the ruts. Definatley a two hands on the wheel car. Takes a while to get the feel

345s-bspinnin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Welcome aboard. Great job on the mods and the ACR color scheme. Tires and a proper alignment make huge differences in overall handling and feedback. My handling was GREATLY improved after removing the run flats and getting a good alignment.

Stay safe, and keep it between the mayo and the mustard.