A/C Problems. Please help.

rjsrt10

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The A/C blows cold when im moving, but when stuck in traffic it starts to get warmer. I took it to the dealer and they said it was a bad A/C line located in the passenger fender. They replaced the line and it worked great for a few weeks, but yesterday...warm air again when stuck in traffic. It blows ice cold when at speed. Is there something wrong? Or is this to be expected? Im thankful for any advice. This is my first Viper. 2008 Venom Red coupe.

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
may not have the cooling fan running at this time, head pressure rises at stops, then when you get goin the air cools the condensor and it starts working again- check for cooling fan operation first- well first check for full freon and correct headpressure and cooling fan operation... lol gotcha confused now

OP
OP
R

rjsrt10

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Cooling fans are working fine. So to the dealership she goes Monday morning. Wish me luck. I just hate taking it there ...last time it went in for a cam position sensor it came back with scratches on the intake! ...Awesome.

ViperDad

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not at my car now, but check for the "bullseye" in the line. I'm not certain if they have one in the viper. It should show flow of the freon, bubbles mixed in with the liquid shooting by. Other, and probably more likely, you've got a leak in the system. If it ran good for a few weeks that suggests you started with a filled system and now it only has enough when the "presser" is running at a decent speed. You can confirm that by observing effects as you rev the engine. If you can get a hold of a freon detector, you might be able to confirm the leak. Another option is to get a windex type pump sprayer with a soap solution and spray the lines at the junctions and around the "presser". If it's a leak, it should be pretty obvious considering you lost it over a couple of weeks. If that's the case, I'd consider another techie; he should have looked for leaks.
Another confirmation, if you can't source the leak is to get a can of freon and charge a little at a time. If it's a leak, you should get cooling at idle as it fills. Get one of those thermometers that has a wire extension that lets you read outside and inside temps. You can stick the probe in one of the vents, get a baseline reading and then observe as you add the freon. Shouldn't take much to observe a temp drop.
If you have a freon sensor, check the cabin. It would **** if it's inside. I'm guessing a bigger job to rip out the evaporator versus stuff under the hood.

LifeIsGood

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Where are you located? There may be better options as where to take the viper. Folks in your area will chime in with their opinions.