A comment from the SRT Viper designer

VOI9 ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Did you read on the see this?

There are a few more new limited production models scheduled for launch in 2005. The most exiting will be the Viper SRT Coupe. The hardtop version of the Viper SRT Convertible, will be almost identical to the 2000 Viper GTSR concept (shown above).

Under the skin, the Viper coupe will be identical to the upcoming 2003 Viper SRT convertible. Featuring the redesigned V10, which has been bumped from 488 to 505 cu. in. and now puts out a whopping 500 horsepower and 500 lb.-ft. of torque and refined suspension and braking.

Hirohawa

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am a Corvette guy also and think the Viper is the best looking american sprts car ever made. Yeah I like it better than the original Cobra as well. But they missed it with the new SRT 10. Yes it is very pretty but not nearly as nice as the Gen I &II cars. Hopefully they will do something nice for the upcoming coupe. The new car is just too ordinary and looks like a Corvette/Honda S2000. The Side vents are the worst thing about the car and are totally inorganic. What was the design basis for this car? The original was the Cobra, and that is why it is so succesful. This one seems to be different is better.

DanElam

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I bought an RT-10 because I wanted side pipes and no top, but I openly lusted for the curves of the GTS. The Ferrari Dinos may have had the looks, but they couldn't back up the performance. Lambos, well they look cartoonish (not that it bothers me), but the reliability has always been poor until recently. In the end, there were a number of cars that I could have chosen, but selected my car because of performance and looks.

Which brings me to the 2003 cars.... To me, they look like a Viper made by Mercedes. It looks like they took a SL-500 and souped it up. I loved the Viper and the Cobras because they don't have a flat panel or straight line anywhere on the car. The new car reminds me of an abstract painting with a lot of intersecting straight lines. The new Ferrari Enzo has the same geometry, but somehow it works far better.

Of course, the performance is incredible. This will be the best performing car every built as a real factory car. But I still won't get one.

I know the new car will be cheaper to maintain (with a real hood, for example) and capable of being used as a daily driver. Today's Corvettes have an image of mid-life crisis that would prevent me from buying one, even if they didn't look like a GM version of an NSX. The civilized Viper is probably what I would get if I was considering a new SL-500, NSX, or other semi-exotic, but that misses the point.

The original Viper was pure lust. It reminded me of a Cobra, but clearly forged new styling ground. Early Viper owners liked the raw aspects of the car (ok, so real windows were a nice addition).

If Mercedes, oh, um, sorry, Dodge, is going to use the Viper to reinvigorate their image as a dynamic company, then they need to show something for the Coupe that looks better. I can buy other cars with better performance for less money. Are they as civilized as the new Viper? No, but that isn't exactly what I want.

Beautiful cars, like women, have curves. Think 1938 Talbot Lago. A 1963 E-type Jag. The Dino. A 1946 Bristol. Or an 1965 Ferrari 275 GTB-4. When people see the 2003 on the streets, at least a few will think that the Hyundia Tiburon has better styling.

I sure hope the designers get their act together...

-Dan

Mike Brunton

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I honestly don't see the similarity between the Camaro and Viper - if the Viper did not have the white stripes, would it still look like the Camaro? I doubt it.

Check the archives and see the post Chris Marshall made where he compared the GTS to the Gen3 (aka ugliest ever) Corvette. The similarity is MUCH more pronounced than that between the Camaro and Viper shown above.

it's easy to post pics of any number of cars and tout "look it's the same car!". If any of you guys have seen an SRT prowling the streets, you will know that it does not in any way resemble a Camaro or an S2000. If anything, it would more easily be confused with an Aston Virage or something more than a Camaro.

As for the coupe comments - I am pretty sure they are not accurate. DC has said "we have no plans to do a coupe" and I beleive that is entirely accurate.

Craig 201 MPH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just want to add.... WHO F&%KING CARES?

I see S2000 if any car in teh SRT, but I think the S2K is a fine car anyhow.

This car is badass fast, nothing else matters,

You must be registered for see images
<<<<<for the whiners please **** already the car is buing built! you can't change a d@mn thing, just deal with it. It's simple really, you don't like it don't buy it.

Motor City Mad Man

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mike Brunton:
I honestly don't see the similarity between the Camaro and Viper - if the Viper did not have the white stripes, would it still look like the Camaro? I doubt it.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You don't see the similarities because as your signature says-you have a 2003 SRT-10 on order. You are blinded by the fact that you don't want to admit you are about to own a mistake in the styling department anyways. No one wants to admit they have an ugly baby. Only good thing is your 2003 Viper will be a sleeper because some people will think it is a Camaro and when you blow their doors off they will be like *** does that Camaro have in it.

Mike Brunton

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Motor City Mad Man:
You don't see the similarities because as your signature says-you have a 2003 SRT-10 on order. You are blinded by the fact that you don't want to admit you are about to own a mistake in the styling department anyways. No one wants to admit they have an ugly baby. Only good thing is your 2003 Viper will be a sleeper because some people will think it is a Camaro and when you blow their doors off they will be like *** does that Camaro have in it.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

There are some things I would change about the SRT - don't pretend to know me and what my motivations are, because you are totally wrong in this post, and I don't see the reason to poke veiled insults.

I honestly think the SRT has as much resemblance to a Camaro as the GTS does to a GenIII Corvette - actually I think the GTS and C3 are alot more alike than the SRT and Camaro.

There are *elements* of the SRT that I see in other cars - but just because two cars have a similar hood scoop and we paint one to look like another, doesn't mean "look its the same car" because it's not.

You think I am just upset that my new car is ugly? I am paying $84k for this "ugly new car". For that money, I could get ANY VIPER I WANTED. I could by a blue/white 96GTS for $45k and have $40k left over to get a Doug Levin package on it. If I wanted a brand new car, I could get a 2002 in my choice of colors with ZERO miles on it, couldn't I? So what makes you think I prefer the old styling but I am just not admitting it? I am volountarily CHOOSING the new car, because I like it better in every way - including looks.

I am completely unbiased about these cars. I think the SRT is every bit as **** as the GTS is. I see alot of guys with the older cars going out of their way to slam the SRT - they slam the performance by saying their car will be just as fast with headers (but it wont handle or brake like an SRT - ever). They say they have the better styled car, etc, etc. Ok, great... but don't be so entranced with love over your car to think that EVERYONE must think it's better. I think the SRT has a MUCH better design overall than the GTS. If I still had my GTS, it would be getting sold for the SRT.

There are some that like the GTS better - so be it. I like the SRT better. As do many others. When you see one on the STREET - and I mean THE NEW ONE, you will not confuse the car with anything else but a Viper. And if you still do, then you need glasses, IMO.

Not everyone with a GTS can have an SRT - because we're talking $20k to $40k more to buy an SRT than to own a GTS. However EVERY SINGLE PERSON buying an SRT could buy a GTS FOR LESS MONEY. Therefore, NOBODY who is buying an SRT is doing so because they can't have a GTS. Face it, ALL of the SRT buyers either prefer the car, or at least want one in addition. So don't think that you have the "better" car - because all 1,500 of the SRT buyers could have two of your car for the same money.

Sorry, but that's reality.

Joseph Houss

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
....camaro?

I think NOT!

.....s2000?

Naaaah!

.....VIPER?

ABSOLUTELY!

Motor City Mad Man

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mike Brunton:
There are some things I would change about the SRT - don't pretend to know me and what my motivations are, because you are totally wrong in this post, and I don't see the reason to poke veiled insults.

I honestly think the SRT has as much resemblance to a Camaro as the GTS does to a GenIII Corvette - actually I think the GTS and C3 are alot more alike than the SRT and Camaro.

There are *elements* of the SRT that I see in other cars - but just because two cars have a similar hood scoop and we paint one to look like another, doesn't mean "look its the same car" because it's not.

You think I am just upset that my new car is ugly? I am paying $84k for this "ugly new car". For that money, I could get ANY VIPER I WANTED. I could by a blue/white 96GTS for $45k and have $40k left over to get a Doug Levin package on it. If I wanted a brand new car, I could get a 2002 in my choice of colors with ZERO miles on it, couldn't I? So what makes you think I prefer the old styling but I am just not admitting it? I am volountarily CHOOSING the new car, because I like it better in every way - including looks.

I am completely unbiased about these cars. I think the SRT is every bit as **** as the GTS is. I see alot of guys with the older cars going out of their way to slam the SRT - they slam the performance by saying their car will be just as fast with headers (but it wont handle or brake like an SRT - ever). They say they have the better styled car, etc, etc. Ok, great... but don't be so entranced with love over your car to think that EVERYONE must think it's better. I think the SRT has a MUCH better design overall than the GTS. If I still had my GTS, it would be getting sold for the SRT.

There are some that like the GTS better - so be it. I like the SRT better. As do many others. When you see one on the STREET - and I mean THE NEW ONE, you will not confuse the car with anything else but a Viper. And if you still do, then you need glasses, IMO.

Not everyone with a GTS can have an SRT - because we're talking $20k to $40k more to buy an SRT than to own a GTS. However EVERY SINGLE PERSON buying an SRT could buy a GTS FOR LESS MONEY. Therefore, NOBODY who is buying an SRT is doing so because they can't have a GTS. Face it, ALL of the SRT buyers either prefer the car, or at least want one in addition. So don't think that you have the "better" car - because all 1,500 of the SRT buyers could have two of your car for the same money.

Sorry, but that's reality.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

First of all, my above post was not an attack on you personally, it was an attack on the design of the new Viper SRT-10. If you took it the wrong way then sorry. If you like the looks of the new SRT-10 then by all means go for it. I just think some people on here are trying to talk themselves into liking it just because they ordered it or because they always have to have the latest thing. I guess there is no accounting for taste. And people could say the same thing about my taste. I mean look at all the people buying the Pontiac Aztec. I am appalled by some of the car designs that have come out in the last 10 years. I have worked for the Big 3 for 8 years now and I wish I was in a position to make the final decisions as to what kind of car looks good. Maybe some day if I get promoted that high up. I think I have a real knack for knowing what looks good and what doesn't. I have seen some artists rendering of new car designs that look great and then after all the execs have their say in making a little design change here and there, the end result is a certified POS. In some cases I think it is best to just let the designer have their way and build the car like that as long as it is feasible. Which in some cases it isn't. I don't know what was the case with the new Viper though.

Also, you say I am paying $84k for this "ugly new car". For that money, I could get ANY VIPER I WANTED. I could by a blue/white 96GTS for $45k and have $40k left over to get a Doug Levin package on it.

I see alot of guys with the older cars going out of their way to slam the SRT - they slam the performance by saying their car will be just as fast with headers (but it wont handle or brake like an SRT - ever). They say they have the better styled car, etc, etc.

All the above statements seem to make me think that you think anyone who rips on the SRT-10 can't afford to plunk down $84,000 for a new Viper and are somehow jealous of those who can. You know nothing of my financial situation or anyone else who may rip on the new design. Don't assume anything. I mean you went out of your way to point out that you are paying $84,000 for your new Viper and that it is $20-$40,000 more than a GEN II like you are trying to rub it in or something. You so kindly pointed out that my 96 GTS is worth only about $45,000 in todays market. Even if some stranger off the street put $40,000 in small unmarked bills in my hand, I would not use that plus sell my 96 GTS to buy the new Viper SRT-10. It is not a question of money. But, if they offered a hard top Viper that looks like the GTS-R concept car, I'd beat a path to the local Dodge dealer to buy one. Your statements almost read like something I'd read on a Vette board where a Viper owner says I could buy your Vette plus have $30,000 in my pocket for what you paid for your Vette.

I am tired of people owning newer Vipers thinking that those who own older ones or even GEN I's only do so because they can't afford them. That is not always the case. In my particular case, the 96 Viper looks no different or has any significant differences from a 2002 Viper and after all the mods I have put into it, buying a new Viper every year would be a waste just to say I have a new Viper. Your statements almost make me think that the real reason your are buying the new Viper is so that everyone knows you paid $84,000 for it. Kind of like the people who leave their window sticker in their new car for a month so that everyone knows how much they paid for it. Like you are afraid if you owned an older Viper and the average person can't tell if it is a 96 GTS or a 2002 GTS that they might think your 2002 was really an 96 worth only $45,000.

I am also tired of Viper owners who track their car at a road course thinking they are somehow superior to those of us who don't. I am not aiming this last one at you, just the numerous posts I read of people who track their car thinking they are some how superior.

I ran into a couple of Viper owners at the Woodward Dream Cruise a few weeks ago. Two of them were brothers and are members of this forum. Really nice, down to Earth guys. I had my 96, one had I think a 2002, and one had a 2000 I think. Anyways, this guy in a 2002 RT-10 comes up with this smug look on his face and kind of looks our Vipers up and down. Kind of had an air of superiority when he talked and acted like he was better than us because his Viper was newer and he was selling it to buy a new SRT-10. The guy was a real A-Hole in my opinion. The kind of guy that gives other Viper owners a bad name to non-viper owners. Now I know why some people think owners of expensive sports cars are all A-Holes if all they run into are guys like that.

I love my 96 GTS even though it is 6 years old now. I think it is a classic design and will be looked upon fondly years down the road. Mine is one of the first 50 GTS's made and I think I will keep it forever. If I wanted a new Viper SRT-10 I would get one. It has nothing to do with money. The looks of a car are just as important to me as the performance. For $84,000 I would almost rather buy a new Lotus Twin Turbo or a used Ferrari.

I have read several posts recently where owners of newer Vipers take a jab at owners of olders Vipers, especially at owners of GEN I Vipers. Hey, we are all Viper owners and are on here because we have the same interest, VIPERS. It is almost like some owners of new Vipers think they are superior to people they deem as lower income or something than them even though they can afford the same car they have, even if it is older. Gets kind of sickening with people thinking they are superior because their net worth may or may not be more than other peoples. That is what your last reply seems like. I am not the richest Viper owner and I am not the poorest either. Even though I make more than probably 95% of the people in this country-I do not look down on those less fortunate than me nor do I feel people who make more than me are superior. I am still relatively a lot younger than the average Viper owner and have many earning years ahead of me.

I also see VCA Vice President Joe Houss defending the new Viper vigorously too on every thread that rips on the new Viper's styling. But come on, it's not like we expect the VCA Vice President to say anything bad about the Viper, I mean it would be bad PR no matter what he really thinks of the car. Joe maybe you truely feel the way you do about the new Viper's styling. I hope this is really the case.

Sorry to hijack this thread, just had to vent. And nothing aimed at you personally Mike, just a comment on a lot of posts I have been reading lately.

MiamiJeff

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Much of the postings here are opinions. In mine, I'd say that Joe took a lot of great pix of a substantially improved
SRT but they weren't, to me, just of the "good" angles---his final shot of the front view of the car coming at you doesn't thrill me like a Gen I or II does...and wild horses couldn't force me to part with my current snake.

Nonetheless, there's a lot more to get excited about now than in the early version that was seen at the auto shows. I'm most intrigued (and hopeful) that someone thinks that Joe only posted favorable shots and that they think the front view is favorable...maybe I'll think so too when I see it in person???

Off to Prowler shop
You must be registered for see images attach
---if anyone who's owned a Prowler wants to privately email me about its shortcomings (beyond lack of 6 speed and lack of V-10 power) before it's too late, please do. In an interesting 180 degree contrast to the SRT, the Prowler does thrill me, but only with its sheet metal, err aluminum.

GTS Dean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by stevenAy:
The Side vents are the worst thing about the car and are totally inorganic. What was the design basis for this car?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thank you. The design basis should have been the Viper.

GTS Dean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mark O:
Are Dean & I the only ones who thinks the roofline on the coupe looks out of proportion with the rest of the car. With the SRT coming in at 80 thousand (plus), how much more will the coupe be in 2005 before it's priced out of the market. After all, it is still a Dodge?!?!

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Slabby, edgy styling with a squashed top. Viper? NOT!

I equate the original Viper styling with the Porche 956/962 racecars, while the SRT comp coupe reminds me of the Nissan 300ZX-T of the late '80s. Both very effective racers, just very different design philosophies. Porsche = smooth & flowing, Nissan = edgy & harsh. I prefer smooth.

viperprowler1

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Joe Houss...

THANK YOU for that terrific post!! No doubt in my mind that the new SRT-10 will continue to be the point car in American ultra-high-performance automobiles!! Whether you think it continues the design heritage of the GEN I and II is not as important as the fact that it is one KICK-*** car!! Can't wait to see it on the road as it will continue to cause a pile of neck pain as people **** their heads around to catch a glimpse of this rolling art form.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang