a disappointing engine oil statistic

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The technical societies are working on the next engine oil category, currently called GF-5, to be introduced in July 2009. An additive company participant calculated that the expected 0.5% fuel savings over the 5 year expected life span of the category is 650 million gallons of gasoline.

650,000,000 gallons x $3.00 per gallon = $1,950,000,000
over the 5 years that is $390,000,000 per year
and over 250,000,000 vehicles, it comes to saving $1.56 per car per year (if every car in the US used this new oil).

And since the consumer buys the oil, you wonder if this really worth it. Maybe a slightly smaller engine, slightly lighter car, slightly more aero design might be a better idea. But instead the OEMs will push an even thinner, expensive oil into the car fleet that now averages over 8 years old. Geez.

GRNBGON

Enthusiast
Reaction score
$3.00 a gallon is now ancient history. It is $1.90 here, and dropping. Start buying those SUVs again. Put us back to work!

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just dream of the day when I can pour my Lone Star into either a pilsner glass or the crankcase on my cars.

I mean like shazam, my life is simpler. Presto-chango, no more buying beer on one end of Wal-Mart and motor oil at the other. More time to izzy-wizzy, let's get busy. And when I tell my Lone Star to hocus pocus, open sesame, I won't have to worry about spilling some on the car any more.

It'll be like the curse of the Stentoften Runestone has been lifted!

OP
OP
T

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just dream of the day when I can pour my Lone Star into either a pilsner glass or the crankcase on my cars.

I mean like shazam, my life is simpler. Presto-chango, no more buying beer on one end of Wal-Mart and motor oil at the other. More time to izzy-wizzy, let's get busy. And when I tell my Lone Star to hocus pocus, open sesame, I won't have to worry about spilling some on the car any more.

It'll be like the curse of the Stentoften Runestone has been lifted!

Dave, you Grasshopper, you might be ready for the next level. However, beer is foamy and engine oil contains anti-foamant. Opposites don't attract this time. So clearly you should have wished to pour flat Lone Star (preferably left-overs) into the crankcase.

Fizz, fizz, what a relief it is...

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As long as I can still buy and use the oil of my choice(0-40W or 15-40W diesel), I don't car. I won't use that thin oil