A few questions from a new guy

Glenn Sober

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I frequently hear the term "cups." Often the term is used to describe the stock Pilot Sport's; sometimes it refers to some other tire. What are "cups" and why are they called that?
NEXT: Suggestions for the jack point? I have heard poeple say to get a hockey puck and cut a V groove in it to use for the jack point.

hou99gts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"Cups" stand for Michelin Pilot Sport Cup tires, stock on the Gen IV ACR. It is quicker to say "cups", that is why they are called that.

The low profile jack I have had a rubber insert in the middle, I use this on the stock jack points to jack the car. You don't need the V-groove if the rubber conforms to the V.

Allan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you're getting new tires, and only driving on the street, the 'cups' will make the car less enjoyable. I hate them, until I get to the track. Then it's great. Cups are oem on ACR's cuz those are intended for more track use than street driving. Even if you have an ACR, if you're only gonna drive on the street, put something else on the car, you'll be happier in the long run.

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What are the characteristics of cups that make them less desirable in the street? I gotta replace my V700's and am looking for the nastiest street tire possible.

Mopar Boy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
First off, welcome to the VCA forums! :yay:

iirc, this is gen specific, gen 1 & 2 have a pigtail not a v at the jack point

Correct! You will find two curled metal loops just inside of the rocker panels under the car (about 12" inboard of the rocker). One in front of the rear wheel and one behind the front wheel.

And as for tires, I love my PS2s. Even for some track use they very much impress me. Pilot Sport Cups may be a bit much. But they do look cool! :D

Oh, and the term cups normally refer to a part of the support mechanism for a bungee cord type of device used by women. :D