A Testament to our beloved bulletproof V10!

WESTCOAST JASON

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Having logged over 100k miles on my motor starting with mild mods, then a 300HP NX kit and then finally to my beloved twin turbo kit my motor was starting to blow a bit of oil during high RPM shifts. For safety's sake I took it to my Viper tech who found the oil was sneaking past the valve stems and suggested a r&r of the heads. Fair enough. When the heads were pulled he was amazed to see that the head gasket on the drivers side, second cylinder back, was blown. There is a 1" wide dark area where the cylinder pressure was too much for it and it caused a leak.

What is amazing about this is the fact that how long it has been this way. Back in my NX days, my lady and I always noted a slight 'smell' after a hard pass and started calling it 'Viper Sweat' - never knowing what it was, but not being concerned as it was never short on power. After the Turbos were installed and tuned the smell was around more often, again, attributed to our mystery 'Viper Sweat'. Keeping in mind the car was making a consistent 700RWHP I started searching for exhaust leaks, never thinking it could be anything else. As a side note, I did occasionally notice a 'tweet' or high pitch sound during hard runs. This sounded much like the chirp an MSD ignition makes on other vehicles (hard to explain, but if you know the MSD sound I mean, it is just like it) This tweet sound was not detonation as I had that under control, so I kept checking ignition wire routing and so forth. Again, never finding the source...

Having never solved my Viper 'sweat' or the tweet I figured I would continue searching for the answer when the car was done with the head R&R. The head gasket failure is the cause of both these and I can't wait to get on the dyno to see what the power will be now with my engine freshly sealed. The tweet was the sound of compression squeezing past the failed head gasket. I have no idea if it will make a noticeable difference but just the fact that I can cross off two of the oldest bugs I have had on the car make me very happy. I just wanted to let all you guys and gals know that you truly own a wonderful piece of equipment and this is just another testament to how our cars are the 'Flying Fortress's' of the high performance automotive world!

OP
OP
W

WESTCOAST JASON

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know of at least 3 cars in the club that are over 100k, so I would imagine there are plenty more out there. (miles not dollars - <wink>) Mine has been in daily driver mode ever since I sold my 97 650r and got this 98. It is shocking to be using another car during the down-time of my repair. Viper detox *****!

;)

MichaelP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know of at least 3 cars in the club that are over 100k, so I would imagine there are plenty more out there. (miles not dollars - <wink>) Mine has been in daily driver mode ever since I sold my 97 650r and got this 98. It is shocking to be using another car during the down-time of my repair. Viper detox *****!

;)

Thanks for the info. I saw a guy post he had the most miles of ANY Viper in the US and he had less than 100,000 miles. I thought it was BS now I KNOW it was. :)

BlueGTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Jason, I was looking at the pictures on the site and could not see how the filter attaches to the front of the compressor housing. Was it just off in the picture?

Do you run without a boost controller and just use a 7psi WG spring?

How does the 700rwhp compare to similar HP levels from the type of car you had before? Does it pull them or is it about the same?

Thanks for the info as nothing is as interesting as a TT Viper!

OP
OP
W

WESTCOAST JASON

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Aaron, the filter housing for the turbos is actually up where the stock air box went. There is a set of stainless pipes that run from the compressor inlet to the front where I have 2 K&N conicals mounted.

I run green springs in the wastegate (not sure what PSI green is) with no boost controller for a stable 10PSI.

Driving the car is much the same feeling as it was with the NX kit with the exception that the 'hyper' feeling is there at any throttle position. A light jab on the gas from say 1/4 throttle to 1/2 throttle gives an immediate RPM change - there is no build up. It is just at the RPM your foot wants all the time. Kinda remniscent of a jet boat I used to have. RPM seems to be instant, and then the tires do the catching up.... Overall top power is up 50HP at the wheels over my NX kit and like the NX kit, it is rare to truly be able to run it at WOT for more than a gear or two on the streets. Highly recommended for any others like myself with the 'Need for Speed' disease....

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm the guy with the highest miles Viper. 106k as of now. No BS, as far as I can tell I have the highest miles Viper in the world. I've been saying that on this board for a year and not one person has ever come up with more.

About the head gasket leak, since it did this for so long, did it cause any erosion to the head or block?

Gerald

Enthusiast
Reaction score
there is ALWAYS a higher or faster, louder car, etc

Dunno why, but it bothers me when someone says "best in the world" That's a lot of miles, but I HIGHLY DOUBT it's the most in the WORLD.....

After all, the board is such a MINORITY of the Viper owners out there..

Keep on driving! :laugh:

Gerald

OP
OP
W

WESTCOAST JASON

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When my car went to the tech is was at 133k miles. I would imagine there are more out there with even higher mileage...

In 133k miles (I put on 123k miles, car had 10k on it when I bought it) I have gone through 2 clutches, 2 trannys, 2 sets of oil cooler hoses, 1 front main cover seal and 2 drivers side door hinges. (and 1 head gasket! ;) )

No damage to the block or head - the blown gasket area did not cross and fluid passages. New factory heads are being put on.

MichaelP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
there is ALWAYS a higher or faster, louder car, etc

Dunno why, but it bothers me when someone says "best in the world" That's a lot of miles, but I HIGHLY DOUBT it's the most in the WORLD.....

After all, the board is such a MINORITY of the Viper owners out there..

Keep on driving! :laugh:

Gerald

Well looks like you were right again Gerald.

Sorry Joe. :(

Now stop reading this post and go out and drive, looks like you are quite a ways behind the leaders. :)

OP
OP
W

WESTCOAST JASON

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wanted to clarify this (I got a couple emails about the exhaust leak) - Although I have changed out many parts on the car that had small exhaust leaks, the fix eluded me.

The major exhaust smell was in fact the blown head gasket. Keep this in mind when searching for your exhaust leaks. An obvious (now, but not then) tip to the blown HG is the 'chirp' or 'tweet' sound at the times of real bad smell.

Hope that helps...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ctrengine