acceleration 0-300 kmh (= 0-186 mph) GTS

Oli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello,

i owned a 1997 GTS from 2002 to 2005 (450 hp).
Does anybody know the acceleration data to 300 km/h ?

I also need this data for the "new" SRT-10.

I need that in comparison to my SL 55.

Thank you!

Oli
(Stuttgart, Germany)

Tripple-V

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hi Oli,

The official max. speed of a stock GTS is in the range of 290km/h (181mph) and 295km/h (185mph). Depending on the magazine that prints the test...

So...finding the answer to your question is not easy, driving a bone stock GTS ...;)

But FYI:
Auto, Motor & Sport (a famous german car mag) did a test in 1997:

They compared the following - bone stock - cars:
- Aston Martin Vantage; supercharged V8; 557hp.
- Ferrari 550 Maranello; V12; 485hp.
- Corvette C5 Coupe; V8 - LS1; 344hp; (autom. Transmission).
- Viper GTS; V10; 455hp

Acceleration times from 0 - 250km/h (0-156mph):
- Aston : 29,2 sec.
- Maranello : 23,8 sec.
- Vette C5 : 43,9 sec. (..yep..thats Four-three-point-nine; hey ist an auto-trans.)
- Viper GTS : 22,5 sec.

Not bad numbers for the Viper, no?!

If my memory serves me right, there was a test where they compared the SL55 among others from 0 - 300km/h and the SL55 was faster than the Porsche Turbo and faster than the 550 Maranello..:eyecrazy: Everyone there was supprised by the SL55's acceleration times!

So you got a pretty fast car there! Congrats.
...und an der Ampel, nach der Autobahnabfahrt, stihlvoll das Dach öffnen, hat schon was....

Gruss aus der Schweiz

Vman455

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just checked the Motor Trend archives online, and there was a 2003 article that featured an SRT-10, Z06, 575M, Murcielago, CL55 (among others) in a top-speed shootout. The track turned out to be not long enough to reach the top speed of most of the cars. The Viper hit 187, as did the CL55 (the speed limiter had been disabled).

I seem to remember reading another Motor Trend test back in the day in which a GTS got to 192 mph before a radiator hose blew and it started ******* coolant all over the track. Can't find it, though. Also, I don't know if either of these tests in acceleration time to top speed. MT might be a good place to start though.

costanZo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a motor trend magazine laying around somewhere.. I'm almost positive it is from 1997.. it stated the Viper GTS hit 192mph top speed, but later blew a water gasket. However, I have heard 185mph and 186mph as it's top speeds numerous times.

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi Oli,

The official max. speed of a stock GTS is in the range of 290km/h (181mph) and 295km/h (185mph). Depending on the magazine that prints the test...

So...finding the answer to your question is not easy, driving a bone stock GTS ...;)

I can say definitively that a stock GTS ACR will reach 306 km/h. Sorry, I don't know what the minimum time to get to that speed would be.

SquadX

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So what about a viper reaching these top end speeds that cause it to Blow coolant, water pump, or whatever gasket? The pressure?

GuitarSteve

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just checked the Motor Trend archives online, and there was a 2003 article that featured an SRT-10, Z06, 575M, Murcielago, CL55 (among others) in a top-speed shootout. The track turned out to be not long enough to reach the top speed of most of the cars. The Viper hit 187, as did the CL55 (the speed limiter had been disabled).

I seem to remember reading another Motor Trend test back in the day in which a GTS got to 192 mph before a radiator hose blew and it started ******* coolant all over the track. Can't find it, though. Also, I don't know if either of these tests in acceleration time to top speed. MT might be a good place to start though.

It was Motor Trend back in 1997 I believe...F355, Vette, 911(Turbo?) and a few others. Jim Scoutten was narrating it back then, on the TV show. It was a '97 Viper GTS red/yellow rims, and yes, it hit 192 before it started to ***! Youtube may have that on there. They did a second shootout shortly after with a GTS Blue/white striped coupe, but it didn't pull 192.

YouTube - MTTV Viva Velocity High Speed Segment

Last edited:

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
So what about a viper reaching these top end speeds that cause it to Blow coolant, water pump, or whatever gasket? The pressure?

Obviously it'd be a bad hose. If it was a speed limiting factor then the magazines would have written "top speed - when the hose busts" and they didn't.

One of those 1 bad one every 25000. Guess that means that we're due for a second Viper to blow a hose at some time. LOL.

Link the time Lingenfelter's vette failed to run during the test and when they went backand tested it a second time, it had 2 lighweight rotors snap after their 0-200-1 runs. Sh_t happens.

Ted

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I haven't heard of any reported issues like that from owners on this board. There are no design related issues that would cause that, that I have heard of. If they were in high desert at 100°F ambient temperature, and running at max RPM for a while, perhaps they overheated it. Like Ted said, it was probably a unique mechanical failure.

Many Viper owners use stock cars on road courses with sustained high RPMs without issues. as long as ambient temperatures aren't really hot. There have been no reported aerodynamic issues that I have heard of that would relate to engine cooling at 150+ mph, either. (At least for a short run up to speed and back down.)

costanZo

Enthusiast
Reaction score

It was Motor Trend back in 1997 I believe...F355, Vette, 911(Turbo?) and a few others. Jim Scoutten was narrating it back then, on the TV show. It was a '97 Viper GTS red/yellow rims, and yes, it hit 192 before it started to ***! Youtube may have that on there. They did a second shootout shortly after with a GTS Blue/white striped coupe, but it didn't pull 192.

YouTube - MTTV Viva Velocity High Speed Segment

Yup, your good :2tu:

I own that magazine... it was red at first then replaced with blue and white gts. The other cars if I remember correctly were also aston, lotus, panoz, and bmw.. never understood their choice for throwing the panoz and bmw in there, they should have put the nsx and supra instead.

OP
OP
O

Oli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
First, thank you all for your answers.

For Tripple-V (and for all others who can read german), here's a link to my german
website for my SL55, so you can have a look at the acceleration data compared
between the SL 55 AMG / Lamborghini Murcielago / Porsche 911 GT 2 / Ferrari 550 Maranello / Aston Martin Vanquish.

It was a high speed track test done by auto-motor-sport in 2001 in nardo, italy.

R230

I'd like to know and add the viper time ;-)

Oli

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang