Acetone increases milage massivle???

AlbertFattal

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"Acetone In Fuel Said to Increase Mileage

Readily-available chemical added to gas tank in small proportion improves the fuel's ability to vaporize completely by reducing the surface tension that inhibits vaporization of some fuel droplets"

Now before you reject this idea, please google this interesting idea. I've been searching down this additive on other forums and it's a little known secret to change milage drematically. I am thinking of trying it out - would anybody have any expereicne with this?

http://www.pureenergysystems.com/news/2005/03/17/6900069_Acetone/

Asp Man

Enthusiast
Reaction score
One problem I forsee would be the long term effect acetone would or could have on fuel sys part like o-rings, plastic fuel lines and the like.
I'll not be the first one to try it, maybe on a rental.

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i think it makes better mileage due to burning cleaner. but i dont think its really much at all.

i was told xylene is PERFECT for running in our cars at 1 gallon per tank of 93/94 octane.

tolulene is the main ingredient in gasoline im told and acetone is just a more refined tolulene i think.

i run xylene though once in a while

im waiting for tom f&L to chime in and school us

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The link to Pure Energy describes the attributes of acetone, but is already incorrect in the first paragraph.

>Complete vaporization of fuel is far from perfect in today's cars and trucks. A certain amount of residual fuel in most engines remains liquid in the hot chamber. In order to be fully combusted, the fuel must be fully vaporized.<

The amount of residual fuel that remains liquid in a hot combustion chamber is virtually nil. This is exactly what the OEMs look for and if Viper owners are removing cats and still passing emissions tests, then there isn't any "liquid" fuel remaining. In start-up conditions, maybe, but that is as much a factor of fuel spray condensing on cold surfaces, not a limitation of evaporation.

Furthermore, all oil companies are required by state laws to change the formulation of gasoline sold 13 to 15 times per year. You may not realize it, but the gasoline is seasonally adjusted (and I've lost track of what the details are with the onset of "reformulated gasoline" for lower emissions.) The changes account for ambient temperatures and you purchase a more readily evaporating fuel in the cold season and a fuel less likely to evaporate in hot weather.

The site also recommends buying "the best gasoline in your area" and trying it for a few tanks, then switching back and forth with and without acetone... Gasoline is "fungible" or interchangeable. Really, the bulk gasoline is the same for many stations in an area and the only difference is the detergent additive package. Yes, the Chevron gasoline and the Getty gasoline on opposite corners might be 99.99% the same and the last difference is that Chevron uses 0.01% additive while the Getty station only uses 0.003%.

So if the author thinks the evaporation characteristics of different brands are different, but they're not, and he thinks the gasoline itself doesn't change week to week or month to month, but it does, what did he really test? I would predict 100% of the data he has showing acetone has a benefit is technically invalid.

GTSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i run xylene though once in a while

I looked into adding toluene or xylene to my tank. But for a octane boost it's far more economical to just add in a few gallons of E85. And E85 comes from a gas station pump instead of Sherwin Williams. :2tu:

ViperGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
milage, milage, milage ...hmmmmmmmmmm....what is it exactly?
Can't remember at a fuel price over 6$ a gallon... ;-)

May be I sniffed to much acetone!

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Acetone increases mileage massive???

Hi Tom,

I came to the same conclusion a year ago when someone sent me the above article. I spoke to a lot of experts and they all agreed ed that this guys facts were way off base and had no merit. I forgot to mention it to you when we met at Chuck Tator's this fall so you could have a good laugh. Then for the hell of it I tried it in a junk lawn mower which was headed for the dump. After 5 minutes it was junk and was off to the dump. :buttkick:
Robbie

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
potterb4