ACR, banging noise when hard accelerating and wheel hop

SNKBYT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Has anyone ever experienced a banging noise,( sounds like it coming fronm the rearend or suspenion during a hard acceleration) usually during wheel hop. Does anyone know what causes this? Car has done it since new. Also, did it during a hard 1-2 shift. However this noise seemed to be in the tunnel. Can the driveshaft hit something under hard acceleration? Any ideas?:confused:

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
broken trani mount maybe, or something of the sort

Art 138

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had that happen once between 5 to 6 thousand RPM shifting from 1st to 2nd gear... checked everything and has not done it again. Try letting the clutch out slower between shifts...

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
:lmao:fill the rear tires with tractor tire liquid, or concrete

OP
OP
S

SNKBYT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I always get of the throttle when i begin to hear it or get wheel hop. I was just curious what causes the noise or where it comes from. Like I stated,car has done it since new, so i don't suspect a bad mount or broken part unless it was defective upon delivery. 09 ACR now has 6500miles, was purchased new from Woodhouse. Is this a trait of ACRs due to the stiff suspension? Has anyone else experienced this?

Reaction score
When the Sport Cup tires are cold they will almost always hop, wait till there is some heat in them and you will be fine. A little lower pressures also 25-27 will help. The noise is mostly the diff housing since it is tied right to the rear part of the frame the noise from loading and unloading rock it in the rubber mounts. This grabbing and releasing of the tires you get during wheel hop exaggerates this to the point that the whole car shakes from the force and you can feel it banging around bottoming the mounts.

EZ 2B Green

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If it's repeatable maybe your could mount a GoPro camera under the car pointed towards the differential. Go for a run and then plug the camera into your TV to see what's happening.

cpperhead1

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Had exactly same thing happen to me 2010 ACR with 150 miles on her !
Scared me {to say the least}
Well guess dumping the clutch is a no no between 1st and 2nd !
Strange .. never happened to me in the 4 years of owning my 2005 copperhead
So perhaps its the limited slip kicking in ?{ as the 2005 doesnt have one }?

Sonoman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The 2005/GenIII does have a limited slip, although it is a Hydra-Lok as opposed to the newer Visco-Lok. One of the "features" of the older Hydra-Lok is that the spinning wheel needs to rotate about 5 times before the clutches engage and lock-up the differential. This may tend to soften the hit and definitely has much different lock-up characteristics compared to the ViscoLok. However, I think most drivers find the newer Visco-Lok to be less twitchy and better behaved coming out of corners, and has less tendency to "side-step" the rear end of the car when breaking the tires loose. The new diff is also less prone to self-destruct under hard usage, a definite plus.
All that aside, backing off the throttle when you hear/feel wheel hop is probably a good idea ;- ) .

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
webironmongery