ACR Chassis

NI-KA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If someone adds Stop Tech brakes, a factory Aero-kit, upgraded suspension KW's or Motons to a standard Viper do they have the equivalent of an ACR?

Or has Dodge done something else to the chassis that is not widely known?

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
From what I have heard and read, no changes to the actual chassis. suspension, downforce enhancements and rotors is what makes a ACR. There was a detailed write up in Viper magazine a while back. i Just cant remember which issue.

If someone adds Stop Tech brakes, a factory Aero-kit, upgraded suspension KW's or Motons to a standard Viper do they have the equivalent of an ACR?

Or has Dodge done something else to the chassis that is not widely known?

Simms

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think the factory aero kit (the rear wing and splitter) is slightly different than the ACR. I could be wrong on the splitter, but the ACR wing is definitely bigger on the ACR than the non ACR aero kit on coupes.

OP
OP
N

NI-KA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is what I was starting to think. Although I recently ran into someone who claimed that the chassis was different.

Is there anyone out there from Dodge/Viper or who regularly races the ACR who can confirm or deny any of the comments regarding the upgrades to a standard Coupe?

ViperGeorge

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Where would you get the aero kit for an ACR? I've heard somewhere, maybe in another thread, that Chrysler wanted crazy money for it. $27,000 sticks in my mind but that could be way off. The aero-look kit for a non-ACR is something like a $9,000 option and its not really functional since if it were it would flatten a non-ACR's suspension like a pancake.

repiv

Enthusiast
Reaction score
this was posted on this site I believe at one point, the suspension changes for the ACR:

2008 ACR:
Front: 514 lb/in
Rear: 1085 lb/in
Front Anti-roll Bar: 27mm Solid
Rear Anti-roll Bar: 27mm Solid

the ACR aero can be purchased from dodge for about $15K

OP
OP
N

NI-KA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is insteresting because it appears that most of the needed changes appear to be available aftermarket and therfore less money than direct from the manufacturer.

Are there any "secret" or substantial differences between aftermarket parts and the Mopar goodies?

Anyone else out there have some inside info on the ACR ?

Art 138

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The subject was discussed before in a thread and the consensus was in favor of just buying an ACR vs building up a conventional model...cost/benefit factor makes it more practical to buy an ACR......non-ACR aero kit 9,500thous,KWs 3,500 thous,Stop techs 1,200thous,front/rear anti roll bar$? and then /tax....installation fees.....

Viperless

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is insteresting because it appears that most of the needed changes appear to be available aftermarket and therfore less money than direct from the manufacturer.

Are there any "secret" or substantial differences between aftermarket parts and the Mopar goodies?

Anyone else out there have some inside info on the ACR ?

Exact replicas of the ACR wing in carbon fiber are available as well as the cadards. Front splitter is available also but it's one piece vs. the factory two piece splitter with the removable center section. Many ACR owners have replaced the high dollar factory pieces with the much less expensive aftermarket copies to preserve their originals.

You could easily create an ACR clone viturally indistinguisable from a real one for quite a bit less than the cost of the real thing.

Lee00blacksilverGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Exact replicas of the ACR wing in carbon fiber are available as well as the cadards. Front splitter is available also but it's one piece vs. the factory two piece splitter with the removable center section. Many ACR owners have replaced the high dollar factory pieces with the much less expensive aftermarket copies to preserve their originals.

You could easily create an ACR clone viturally indistinguisable from a real one for quite a bit less than the cost of the real thing.

I don't see hw in the world you can say that. Wheels, tires, suspension, brakes, aero package.

How are you going to buy and install all those for less than the upcharge for the ACR option?
Aero alone is more than the ACR option upcharge, which is 11K if I recall correctly.
And it always will be a clone, paperwork will not match an ACR.

repiv

Enthusiast
Reaction score
who has the exact replicas/clones available? I know a few vendors talked about it, then had the the front splitter & canards complete, but no wing.

Viperless

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't see hw in the world you can say that. Wheels, tires, suspension, brakes, aero package.

How are you going to buy and install all those for less than the upcharge for the ACR option?
Aero alone is more than the ACR option upcharge, which is 11K if I recall correctly.
And it always will be a clone, paperwork will not match an ACR.

I can say that because...I did the math, ACR cars are not being heavily discounted like non-ACR cars, much less expensive aftermarket versions of the carbon parts are available, and not buying the rest of the parts from Dodge at retail prices. If you're paying sticker for the donor car then yes, you'd be better off buying the real thing. Although there's still that matter of supply, wait times, and how much longer are they going to be built.

Whether or not it's a real ACR is a matter of personal preference and what's most important. Having the ACR's performance and looks or being able to say it's real. Are you a collector or a performance enthusiast?

Last edited:

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
There is not anyone who can duplicate the cost of the ACR package and be at the price offered from the factory. Heck just the proper wing and splitter, canards, etc. are more than the factory cost for it all. Try breaking down sidewinder rims, Dot Pilot Sport Cups, stoptech rotors, the top of the line KW setup ( not the one out over the past few years that was in the 3K range ) , the entire aero set-up, and ...............then add labor. You can do a clone, but this is the best bargain on the planet for a streetable race car, IMHO.

OP
OP
N

NI-KA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes, I have stuggled with the collectibilty vs. performance.

I drive my 2006 coupe alot. I will probably break 10,000 miles by next year. I bought it with 2,700 miles in Jan. 2009 and currently have over 7,000 miles. (as of July 7, 2009) Collectibility for me doesn't seem likley. I love the looks of the ACR and do enjoy the track and AutoX.

For AutoX any mods will throw me in to the next class with the ACR & all 2008/2009's. ( The '06 is classed as "SS" and the '08/'09 & ACR are all classed as "ASP". ) One underlying reason for the question is that if I do more track I probably won't care and would like to have the performance adders for the track as opposed to remaining in the "SS" class for AutoX

What's great about the mods is that I don't have to put an outlay of cash down up front or step-up to a larger payment.

From what I have seen after 10,000 miles something magic seems to happen to sale-ability. If that becomes a factor why not hang onto the car mod it and not take such a big hit on depreciation?

There clearly isn't one answer and if I was purchasing new I bet I would go for the ACR since new it is likley the bargain. (The math was the same for my former NISMO 350Z except there were clear hard to duplicate mods like chassis welding and horizontal mass dampers that can't be easily or cheaply duplicated) That's where the original question that prompted this thread came from.

mjf6175

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Posting here because this is something I have considered as well. I am not a "wing" fan, at least not on a Viper driven mainly on the street. Now if it was driven more on the track then I can see it. But I liked the rest of the ACR package, the mechanical bits and pieces. From my research the differences were:

1) KW Coilovers (more later on this)
2) Sidewinder wheels
3) Cup tires
4) Stoptech slotted rotors
5) Solid (vs hollow) front sway bar. Note it is the same diameter
6) In the beginning of the production run ACR's where receiving solid rear axle shafts unique to them. During some point in April 08 ALL Vipers got solid rear shafts

I have a very good contact in KW. The ACR KW's are unique to Dodge and Dodge had much input in their design. A KW dealer CANNOT order them or get them. They would cost in the 4-5k range. KW does make several versions of coilovers for the Viper and is SUPPOSED to come out with another version that is close to the Dodge version. When, what differences, price I do not know.

It would have been great if Dodge offered a semi-ACR package. One where you got all the mechanical goodies. Or gave the option to delete the wings / splitters. Bet there are other Viper owners who feel the same. Not knocking those who do like the wings / splitter on their Viper, great for you. I just wish that those who just want the other upgrades could do so.

While some mention it would cost more to build an unofficial ACR, I think that is only true if you add all the wings / splitters and use FACTORY parts. Me I am not adding the wings / splitters (factory or aftermarket) and sourcing the other parts at jobber prices. And adding them myself is more economical. I think many here have the skill or ability to add most of mechanical parts on their own or find a shop that would do it a a good price since its not heavy wrenching to do.

OP
OP
N

NI-KA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In regards to the comment about the KW's being unique and spencially made for the Viper ACR; Perhaps this explains why the Motons are so popular with so many. It would be insteresting to see if many ACR owners have taken off their stock KW's in favor of the Motons.

So if the KW's are unique to the ACR package what else is that that has not been mentioned above ?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
webironmongery