ACR Question Oil Filter

Viper 55

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's been 40 years since I've changed the oil on a car. It's time I get back into it and my 2008 ACR will be my starting point.

Need some help please.

Questions:

1. Because the oil filter is recessed, any special trick in getting the filter off?

2. When installing the new filter, I recall needing to dampen the casket with a little oil and hand tighten the filter. Has that changed?

3. I was able to grease two of the front bottom grease fittings. Are there more on top? If so, obviously need to remove the tire.

4. Are there also grease fittings in back? Can't seem to locate any.

5. What is the torque for the oil pan bolt once reinstalled?

Once again, I'm enjoying the treat of being able to work on a Mopar. 40 years ago, it was on a 1968 440 GTX, now this great machine, the Viper. Muscle cars have come a long way!

Thanks for your input!

Reaction score
Added what I know below..

It's been 40 years since I've changed the oil on a car. It's time I get back into it and my 2008 ACR will be my starting point.

Need some help please.

Questions:

1. Because the oil filter is recessed, any special trick in getting the filter off? Nope

2. When installing the new filter, I recall needing to dampen the casket with a little oil and hand tighten the filter. Has that changed? Nope

3. I was able to grease two of the front bottom grease fittings. Are there more on top? If so, obviously need to remove the tire. These will not need much grease so don't over do it.

4. Are there also grease fittings in back? Can't seem to locate any. Yes

5. What is the torque for the oil pan bolt once reinstalled? I can never remember but I just snug it to about 10#

Once again, I'm enjoying the treat of being able to work on a Mopar. 40 years ago, it was on a 1968 440 GTX, now this great machine, the Viper. Muscle cars have come a long way!

Thanks for your input!

CCBrian

Enthusiast
Reaction score
We service all of our own personal cars from Dodge Caravans to a Ferrari
F430. Our Vipers (08 ACR & 06 Comp Coupe) are the easiest of all of our vehicles! Just follow Marks advice above and it will be a breeze!

FastZilla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just changes mine today.

Noticed there is an "O" ring on the drain plug. What is the specs on the "O" ring? Or do I just go to my stock and match one up. Also is there a Dodge part number for it, hopefully it's not a $5 "O" ring.

My old oil filter gasket stuck on the engine this time.

fireball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There are grease ******* on the upper a-arm where they meet the spindle. Both front and rear.

Greg

OP
OP
V

Viper 55

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Done. Piece of cake. Thanks for the help.

I also did one additional step which makes a lot of sense. Got the tip from Grailkeeper from another post.

"11 qts should be the right amount for your car with a filter change....don't forget to fill the new filter manually before you screw it on the motor. It will take a few tries to fill the filter fully, so be patient. By doing this there will be no momentary drop in oil pressure as the motor fills the filter during the first startup.....GK"

Good advice.