ACR shock installation

NI-KA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The photos are of Dynamics (2001 - 2002 ACR shocks) mounted to a 1997 GTS. The suspension is unloaded and hanging. In this position due to the spherical shock bolt "pass through" it is possible to have the shock slightly rotate and contact the A arm.

Perhaps under load this may "self correct" but I am doubtfull and it will be a awhile as the brakes are undergoing an upgrade.

Just need experienced feedback in order to make any corrections if they are needed.

Passenger Side
You must be registered for see images
[/url][/IMG]

Passenger Side
[/url][/IMG]

Drivers Side

jrod_okc

Viper Owner
Reaction score
when i get home, i will post pictures of mine.. I have mine up in the air and the all the tires off at the moment.

2000_Black_RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you haven't checked, make sure that you have the front LH and RH installed on the correct side of the car because each side is not common for the fronts since the canister is rotated 10 degrees off center for this reason.

Front part numbers:
RH 05264922AA / F80 010 91 (passenger side)
LH 05290073AA / F80 011 91 (driver side)

Rear part number:
05264920AB / F80 012 91 (common for both sides)

Best regards,
Mike

Last edited:

2000_Black_RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's not the cones, they look ok. Mind you I worked at the company that owned Dynamic Suspensions and actually worked beside the guy who designed these ACR dampers.. even had some extra cones and parts in my desk drawer...

I'll just wait for an update regarding my previous reply.

Cheers,
Mike

Last edited:
OP
OP
N

NI-KA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mike,

What you state makes alot of sense. Since it was tempting to think that the "A" arms were are somehow reversed.

Hopefully by Monday evening I will have switched shocks and be able to post pictures of the correction.

Thanks for the information !

Much appreciated.

scoobie

Enthusiast
Reaction score

OP
OP
N

NI-KA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the pictures. They do help confirm the proper orientation.

By the way your car looks super clean.

scoobie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jack: not sure what you mean about the stabilizer interfering.
I think he is right that the shock can slightly rotate and contact the A arm though.

2000_Black_RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just to help clear it up, NI-KA knows what I meant, but here's an image for the Post for future reference.

The Front LH and RH bottom canister castings are designed 10 degrees offset / rotated from the centerline of the damper so there is clearance to the A-arm. You can see in NI-KA's initial pics that both canisters are angled / pointing to the rear of the car resulting is a position of being out by 20 degrees total if installed on the wrong side.

Also as a tip, when you have a LH and RH unique part from Chrysler, the part number ends with an odd number for the LH side and even for the RH side unless it is a common part for both sides (then both would end with the same even number).

Cheers,
Mike

Last edited:
OP
OP
N

NI-KA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here is one of the shocks after it was moved to the other side of the car.

[/url][/IMG]

OP
OP
N

NI-KA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mike,

Thanks for the expertise here :headbang:

The responses offered in this thread with good professional knowledge is just one reason I am a member of the VCA and one reason I hope members like yourself are around for a long time to come. :2tu:

TorontoACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can somebody give me some guidance on what to do. I have a 2003 ACR. The stock Dynamics shocks or struts are now leaking. Should I scrap them for something else or should I rebuild them. I was told that you cant these shocks from the dealer anymore.

2000_Black_RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
See my reply to your other / new Post.

Best regards,
Mike

PS, no such thing as a 2003 ACR, assuming you made a typo..

Dan Cragin

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
The dynamics on the 03-06 models tend to leak. Some may have some seepage and stop. According to the service manual this is normal. If they continue to leak then they need to be replaced. These are still available from the dealer.

The Dynamic ACR shocks for the Gen 2's were bad leakers and had poor rebound dampening.

2000_Black_RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Dynamic ACR shocks for the Gen 2's were bad leakers and had poor rebound dampening.

Members need to be aware that this is your personal comment, sure you said this in the past, I talked to guys at DS who were my coworkers (also involved with F1, etc.), and they sort of laughed about your comments last year especially the rebound comments. I don't know what it is, pehaps you are trying to sell other brands, but it's getting old.

Good luck eh'
Mike

Black Moon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
DS shocks are the suckiest and most expensive OEM shock that I have seen after owning dozens of brands and hundreds of different model cars in 40 years. The gen 3 are a testament to poor engineering.13000 miles and 3 replacements so far. Monroematics are built better. In my opinion of course.

2000_Black_RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
DS shocks are the suckiest and most expensive OEM shock that I have seen after owning dozens of brands and hundreds of different model cars in 40 years. The gen 3 are a testament to poor engineering.13000 miles and 3 replacements so far. Monroematics are built better. In my opinion of course.

This Post is about the Gen 2 DS ACR adjustable dampers, it has absolutely nothing to do with the non-adjustable Gen 3 stuff, hence the location of this Post in the Gen 2 RT/10 and GTS section. Please do not hijack it to rant about a different generation of issues.

Cheers,
Mike

Last edited:

Black Moon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Since Gen 3's are mentioned twice and Dynamic shocks are being discussed by you and others I don't feel the post is inappropriate or misplaced.

Evviva,
Sal

SNKEBIT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Personal experience with gen. 2 dynamics is junk. On all of them. Send them in, expensive to get fixed, wait forever, junk again. JUNK.:mad:

Black Moon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's a shame considering the cost of our cars to not have a leading brand name shock in our cars. And the cost!!! is crazy. hopefully the gen 5's will have a better set up, hopefully adjustable.

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's a shame considering the cost of our cars to not have a leading brand name shock in our cars. And the cost!!! is crazy. hopefully the gen 5's will have a better set up, hopefully adjustable.

Monroe ? Gabriel ? ;)

Kidding aside, I really do not know who is the leading brand name in the ultra high performance shock market. Who would be the average Viper buyer's preferred choice?

2000_Black_RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Since Gen 3's are mentioned twice and Dynamic shocks are being discussed by you and others I don't feel the post is inappropriate or misplaced.

Evviva,
Sal

Only reason I suggested that the focus is was on the OP Gen 2 DS adjustable damper, it's a completely different product than the Gen 3 - 4 stuff. I'm giving up anyway, had enough with sifting through useless rants and folks having a conflict of interest, plus I don't work amongst the DS folks anymore, so what's the point eh'? Yet if someone has a specific problem and needs some help, you know where to find me via email as I always try to help.

Best regards,
Mike

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
webironmongery