ACR shocks on a regular coupe..

evomind

Viper Owner
Reaction score
i have a 2008 viper coupe that the previous owner put ACR shocks on it so he could lower the ride height. (kw3s)
i have the stock shocks in my garage if i wanted to swap back.
the problem is that for my streets the car sits too low, so ill have to adjust the ride height.
i havent driven the car except around the block but i am wondering if i should just put the stock shocks back on it as i am thinking the acr shocks are made to work with much stiffer springs and a lot more downforce.
anyone have any opinions or insight as to what i should do?
thanks

AbsolutHank

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a 2006 coupe that I bought in February, and I installed the 2008 ACR KW3s on my car for the same reason as your previous owner. I wanted it lower, and figured 3 way adjustable shocks would be best.

I'm here to tell you, if you haven't driven the car out on the street, you are probably going to be unhappy with them. Those springrates are made to work with the Aero package on the ACR...on a standard coupe like mine and yours, it is downright BRUTAL. On the highway, larger bumps would send me into the headliner...and I'm a big guy. I've never been tossed around a car like that before.

Needless to say, I only made two drives with the car on the KW3's, and swapped back to Eibachs until I could buy a set of KW2's from JonB. Night and day difference for the standard coupe, and a great price too!

ROCKET62

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
Another possible option if you want to want to keep the kw3's and soften up the ride to make it more street-able would be to just change the spring weights. (I wonder if the springs from your stock shocks would fit on the KW3's ?) This would allow you to adjust your height and still have a shock that is much better than stock.

AbsolutHank

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Rocket...swapping the stock springs to the KW3's is not an option. There are softer springs you can buy that will quickly install on the KW3's (another advantage of this setup). However, I was running 800lb. rear springs and they were still way too stiff. Since I already bought them and were installed on the car, I spoke to both KW and JonB about, and they agreed if the spring rates were dropped too low on the street, the specific valving in the shocks for the ACR could still make it ride too stiff, and too unpredictable with much softer springs.

OP
OP
E

evomind

Viper Owner
Reaction score
thanks guys.
anyone know what a set of kw3s are worth?
i might have a set for sale