ACR vs. SRT aero pkg.

Lee00blacksilverGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Since you guys are talking about these components....my driveway/ garage will not allow for the protrusion of the front splitter...so I'm wanting to remove it ..but keep the wing on my 2008 AERO packaged SRT COUPE.....

Do you guys see any problems with this? (mechanically or technically?!)...

THANKS!

I think it could be flat out dangerous. Regular coupe downforce = 170. Aero package = 600. That's actually a HUGE amount of downforce. Take off the front splitter and you are going to produce a HUGE amount of lift in the front end. The car will be pushing down in the back and the front lifting, even at 70 mph or so. Now induce some really hard acceleration, a hard shift or two that lift the nose and you are in perfect shape to achieve low earth orbit. Try backing the car up the drive or use a couple planks to get in the garage.
I just put my ACR on the lift for the first time today, if I can drive it up the ramps to the lift with no problem with the splitter it's hard to visualize a problem with a garage entrance.

rcl4668

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think it could be flat out dangerous. Regular coupe downforce = 170. Aero package = 600. That's actually a HUGE amount of downforce. Take off the front splitter and you are going to produce a HUGE amount of lift in the front end. The car will be pushing down in the back and the front lifting, even at 70 mph or so. Now induce some really hard acceleration, a hard shift or two that lift the nose and you are in perfect shape to achieve low earth orbit. Try backing the car up the drive or use a couple planks to get in the garage.
I just put my ACR on the lift for the first time today, if I can drive it up the ramps to the lift with no problem with the splitter it's hard to visualize a problem with a garage entrance.

Another tip that I learned the hard way is whenever approaching a steep driveway try if possible to drive up the ramp at an angle. This seems to help maximize ground clearance.

/Rich

CitySnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah I noticed that also even at highway speeds. I dont use mine much for that reason.

One other word of advice in terms of aerodynamics: For you convertible owners, I did a high performance driving school at our local track (PIR) a few weeks ago and noticed while my instructor was driving my car at higher speeds (130+ mph) that the convertible boot cover/tonneau cover was literally being sucked off of the car. I decided to take it off for the rest of the day but you might also be able to tape down the leading edge of the tonneau cover with something paint friendly like blue painters tape.

/Rich
That seems odd. You did fold the leading edge under the top prior to securing it right? With the edge folded under, the top cinched down with the securing "snap" mechanism and the trunk top holding holding down the rear edge, I'm surprised that it would budge.

ROCKET62

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
That seems odd. You did fold the leading edge under the top prior to securing it right? With the edge folded under, the top cinched down with the securing "snap" mechanism and the trunk top holding holding down the rear edge, I'm surprised that it would budge.

The timing on these posts is scary. I was out yesterday and noticed that at 75mph, you can see the tonneau cover come up about 1/2-3/4". Didnt check it at triple digits, but it did stay in place.

wallbanger

Enthusiast
Reaction score
the part that comes up is not the hard plastic side pieces but the cover in the middle.. the wind gets underneath it and lifts it up no matter how well u install it

CitySnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
the part that comes up is not the hard plastic side pieces but the cover in the middle.. the wind gets underneath it and lifts it up no matter how well u install it

I haven't been able to get to triple digits yet (break in), but at 75-80 theres absolutely no lift on mine whatsoever.

There's three parts to the closure process (excluding the side tabs). The first is to take about 3 inches of the entire leading (front) edge of the cover (it's complete 4 foot width) and fold it under the front edge of the folded soft top. Then you virtually crush down the soft top on itself which acts like a vise on the entire width of the folded under portion of the cover. The soft top has to snap and lock down for this to work. It can't just be folded down, but has to be "latched" with some serious force. The rear portion of the cover is then crushed under the trunk top. Again, this is the full width of the cover. I can see the side pieces coming up before the cover.

Are you guys doing all of the above?

Maybe I'm just not going fast enough?

Last edited:

rcl4668

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So what's the verdict guys? Is this a problem with the cover or did you miss a step with attachment?

City --

I am pretty meticulous (read anal) about installing the tonneau cover to the point where after tucking the leading edge of the middle section I actually tug the edges of the cover to make sure it is as flush as possible before pushing the top down and "locking" it into place (the little lever on the driver side locks into place). I personally do not have any issues with lifting at highway speeds.

Also, when I was driving during the driving school, I did not see any problems until later in the day when the car began hitting about 130 mph. Then it got really bad; the side plastic portions were still locked in placed but the middle soft vinyl section was literally being ripped from underneath its tucked position under the hard convertible clamshell.

My general sense is that for normal highway driving there should be no issue but that for track days where higher speeds are seen, leave it off or try to eliminate the areas where the air is lifting the cover by sealing the leading edge of the tonneau with wide painters tape. I have another driving school coming up in a few weeks and I will try that and report back on the board.

/Rich

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is correct. The best way I can discribe it is the cover actually begins to "float" a bit at speeds over 65pmh. I do tuck in the leading edge and lock down the soft top. Mine will actually waver a bit in the wind and will make some flapping noises. You may not see that yet since your soft top and cover are still new and have not stretched out yet.

For civilized hwy cruising the top is find by I would use it for high speed runs.

City --

I am pretty meticulous (read anal) about installing the tonneau cover to the point where after tucking the leading edge of the middle section I actually tug the edges of the cover to make sure it is as flush as possible before pushing the top down and "locking" it into place (the little lever on the driver side locks into place). I personally do not have any issues with lifting at highway speeds.

Also, when I was driving during the driving school, I did not see any problems until later in the day when the car began hitting about 130 mph. Then it got really bad; the side plastic portions were still locked in placed but the middle soft vinyl section was literally being ripped from underneath its tucked position under the hard convertible clamshell.

My general sense is that for normal highway driving there should be no issue but that for track days where higher speeds are seen, leave it off or try to eliminate the areas where the air is lifting the cover by sealing the leading edge of the tonneau with wide painters tape. I have another driving school coming up in a few weeks and I will try that and report back on the board.

/Rich

CitySnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Interesting.....and irritating! I guess I'll have the same problem. It wouldn't bother me if it's fine up to 130 MPH, but if it's lifting over 65 MPH..???

I'll see if I can dig up some info. Thanks for responding.

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Keep in mind the tucked edge has never come physically out from under the leading edge of the top. However it does flop around a bit at speed. I think it is more irritating then anything else. After a while you will not use it that often. While it does complete the look, without it looks fine also and make putting the top down and up much easier.

wallbanger

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i have been installing mine correctly as suggested and it still rises..... i haven't noticed what speed i was doing at the time but i will next time... i very rarely drive 65mph so it is probably at higher speeds... because of the greater than 95 degree temps here i haven't had the top down much lately to notice at what speed

ROCKET62

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
Interesting.....and irritating! I guess I'll have the same problem. It wouldn't bother me if it's fine up to 130 MPH, but if it's lifting over 65 MPH..???

I'll see if I can dig up some info. Thanks for responding.

Based on some testing I did this weekend (on a closed private track :D) it is fine up to at least 130. Nader's description of how it "floats" is spot on.

Vypr Phil

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Based on some testing I did this weekend (on a closed private track :D) it is fine up to at least 130. Nader's description of how it "floats" is spot on.

Had mine up to 170 and it made me uncomfortably concerned enough not to go any higher.

The cover floated and fluttered rather violently at that speed.

My next Viper will more than likely be a coupe.

Phil