ACR-X OIL Separator Installation AC Line Issue

Art 138

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Someone in the past thread discussing this matter mentioned that the separator could not be installed in conventional IV Gen Models because of the AC line running under where the can bottom fits......Well the AC line needs to be moved two inches away and carefully pushed down. The bottom harness tie needs to be taken out of its tie slot which allows flexability in positioning the can. Also the ACR-X does not a windshield washer reservoir.....you must drill another hole in the separator bracket to miss punturing the washer reservoir..... in all not a difficult task....

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

Art 138

Enthusiast
Reaction score
One last thing, unlike the Gen-3 you must take off the Heater duct and windshield lower cover to take the passenger side valve cover off....a late PM to Mark J confirmed only way to do it....

ViperGeorge

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why is the ACR-X catch can better than the air to oil separator that DC Performance sells? The DC solution doesn't vent to the atmosphere so it is emissions legal. Here's a pic of the DC air to oil separator in my 09 ACR.

Last edited:

F8L SNK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's not better or worse just different. The ACRX system is not going to move as much oil away from the motor as the DC Performance system. This is not a good or bad thing but will require draining more often. This is due to the connector at the PCV system and drawing out of the valve cover. The other valve cover vents to the air box which will still move some oil through the engine as well. The good is as you mentioned, it is still emission legal.

The X system does not pull any of the oil back into the intake and uses ports on the upper part of the valve cover that will help the system pass less oil out of the motor. It will still need to be drained but not quite as often. It is not emission legal. I am going with the X System but I will no longer be driving my car on the street. I like the DC system if the car is still street driven and emissions is a concern. If you have an aftermarket PCM (which you don't) then it really does not matter if the system is emission legal or not as the PCM is "for off road use only" anyway.

Why is the ACR-X catch can better than the air to oil separator that DC Performance sells? The DC solution doesn't vent to the atmosphere so it is emissions legal. Here's a pic of the DC air to oil separator in my 09 ACR.

OP
OP
A

Art 138

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's not better or worse just different. The ACRX system is not going to move as much oil away from the motor as the DC Performance system. This is not a good or bad thing but will require draining more often. This is due to the connector at the PCV system and drawing out of the valve cover. The other valve cover vents to the air box which will still move some oil through the engine as well. The good is as you mentioned, it is still emission legal.

The X system does not pull any of the oil back into the intake and uses ports on the upper part of the valve cover that will help the system pass less oil out of the motor. It will still need to be drained but not quite as often. It is not emission legal. I am going with the X System but I will no longer be driving my car on the street. I like the DC system if the car is still street driven and emissions is a concern. If you have an aftermarket PCM (which you don't) then it really does not matter if the system is emission legal or not as the PCM is "for off road use only" anyway.

Believe the DC setup is basically a catch-can....I have a similar system in my Jeep SRT 8 and it does "catch" considerable oil....the X system has a canted bracket designed to fit the Viper....I say this in case someone tries to retro-fit the same brand separator.......

Dan Cragin

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
The ACRX system is a race setup that vents the crankcase to the atmosphere. Basically all the crankcase pressure escapes and is not pulled back into the engine. For race use this is the best setup. It does not allow any oil vapors to get into the manifold.

Our system allows the oil to be captured and leaves the production positive crankcase ventiliation emission system in tact. That way the car will pass smog, be less suseptable to check engine lights, and will not have any unpleasant fumes or smoke exiting from under the hood. It is a compromise but gives you a good alternative.

Hope this helps,

ViperGeorge

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The ACRX system is a race setup that vents the crankcase to the atmosphere. Basically all the crankcase pressure escapes and is not pulled back into the engine. For race use this is the best setup. It does not allow any oil vapors to get into the manifold.

Our system allows the oil to be captured and leaves the production positive crankcase ventiliation emission system in tact. That way the car will pass smog, be less suseptable to check engine lights, and will not have any unpleasant fumes or smoke exiting from under the hood. It is a compromise but gives you a good alternative.

Hope this helps,

Will your system still protect the engine from the problems that have been described in the thread concerning ACR piston problems? Seems like removing the oil from the intake is still the main objective since oil in the intake lowers octane.

Dan Cragin

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Yes,
This modification will keep the majority of the oil from getting into the intake.