Added a whopping 36 Horsepower to my Stable!

phiebert

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OK, so my stable only has two cars now, but when I was a kid my father and I built a kit car of a 1934 Frazer Nash (British racer in it's day!). I had to sell it to pay for our wedding many years ago. I hadn't seen it for 20 years but found it again and bought it back. Anyone else out there building kits? It is quite a contrast beside the Viper in the garage! Here are a couple pictures...

You must be registered for see images

You must be registered for see images

Nexus-6

Enthusiast
Reaction score
NICE!

I bet that's such a good feeling to walk out and have her back in the garage. Like catching up with an old friend.

Enjoy and post more pics if ya got em! :)

OP
OP
P

phiebert

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The door fix went well, thanks for asking. It took me 6, I ain't kidding, six!!! straight hours to open the door with the home-made tool from the inside reaching under the interior panel. I basically welded my locks open now so it won't happen again. I could have put on a supercharger faster!!

OP
OP
P

phiebert

Enthusiast
Reaction score
NICE!

I bet that's such a good feeling to walk out and have her back in the garage. Like catching up with an old friend.

You hit the nail on the head. Today I had to rebuild the carburetor to get it started and it was amazing to see the parts I had built myself to make a manual choke system for it 20 years ago just as I left it. Fiddled with the same components I had when I was 16! At some points today I felt like I had just bought back a headache I hadn't had for a while but after I got her purring along and felt the thrust of that 30 pounds of torque, it was just like old times!

OP
OP
P

phiebert

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Fiddled with the same components I had when I was 16!

Yeah...I wish :laugh:

OK, technically it's the same component but doesn't have the reliability or longevity it used too! It seems to sputter a little but with enough choking it runs for a while.

Why is it that my posts always go straight into the gutter?!!

Nexus-6

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Man - this story brings a big smile to my face.

I pretty much love all cars and getting the chance to get something back in life like this is pretty special. I guess for me cars are part of the family - they always have been. Something like this must feel like caring for that old friend and providing for her all over again.

(yes folks I know I'm pretty nuts)

I bet rebuilding the carb to get her going again was actually pretty cool and fun. I find anymore that maintenance and modding and just overall tinkering on the cars is very therapeutic for me - 1000% different from what I do day to day and it gives me a chance to connect with something else.

I bet she's a blast to drive - looking forward to this 3 day weekend I imagine, huh? :)

OP
OP
P

phiebert

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I bet rebuilding the carb to get her going again was actually pretty cool and fun.

The best part was buying a manual choke retainer bracket off a 1960 beetle that fit. It cost me $5 instead of the usual $500 for any part for the Viper. The funniest thing though is the size of the intake. They don't make K&N filters for 28mm (a little over an inch opening) throttle bodies! Actually, they probably do for lawn mowers but that would just be embarrassing to put that on! The best part is that it gets as many looks as the Viper when I've taken it out for test drives...but from a slightly different age group! The gearing is hilarious. The first gear is like a tractor, really short and you can almost squawk the tires with no power but when you shift into second it is like going from 1st to 6th with the Viper!

If you like the view from the garage you should come up to Vancouver Island for a vacation. You can stay in our vacation suite for a big discount (valid for any Viper Club members). You can check it out at http://www.aboveallonline.com

Yves

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you like the view from the garage you should come up to Vancouver Island for a vacation. You can stay in our vacation suite for a big discount (valid for any Viper Club members). You can check it out at http://www.aboveallonline.com

I can highly recommend this.
Patrick's 'suite' is really nice. It is spacious and convenient. On top his house is located close to the main attractions on Victoria island.
And the host and his wife are a fun couple to meet in a social setting :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang