Advice needed on Viper repainting.

Pry

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Due to getting scraped I need to get the back fender and the hood of my gen1 repainted. I was wondering if any of you have any experiences on the repainting process and if there is any special steps / procedures differing from regular car painting due to the nature of the chassis material? Any info on the process would be appreciated, especially if there is something special to it. I'd like to make sure that the finish and the color tone of the repainted sections remain exactly the same as originally.
Also does anyone know if the factory paint colors are available to purchase from somewhere?

Thanks

OP
OP
P

Pry

Viper Owner
Reaction score
It's a 94 emerald green.
Unfortunately I don't have any pics of the scrapes. They are pretty minor but have to be fixed.
Edit: I found a pic:
You must be registered for see images

Most of it cleaned up after I waxed it.

Here's some other pics of my car taken just after I brought it from Germany:
Index of /pry/viper

Last edited:

RedEnuf93

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Due to getting scraped I need to get the back fender and the hood of my gen1 repainted. I was wondering if any of you have any experiences on the repainting process and if there is any special steps / procedures differing from regular car painting due to the nature of the chassis material? Any info on the process would be appreciated, especially if there is something special to it. I'd like to make sure that the finish and the color tone of the repainted sections remain exactly the same as originally.
Also does anyone know if the factory paint colors are available to purchase from somewhere?
Thanks

Terve!

Ei toi Smaragdin vihrea vari sen kummallisempi ole kuin muutkaan varit. Nykyisin monilla auton varin valmistajilla on scanneri, jolla saat oikeat suhteet maaliin. Hyva maalari sen liskai pystyy itse maarittelemaan jos maali on ian mukana vaalentunut.
Jos tarviit vihrean maalin koodit, pista mulle postia.
Lasikuitu ei ole sen kummallisempaa kuin peltikaan, jos on hyva maalari. Mun on maalattu pariinkin kertaan, milloin ovia, kynnyslistoja tai koko keula. Viimeksi koko auto. Mulla on hyva maalari, joka osaa scannerilla testaa varin ja aina on osunut kohdalleen.
Ei ole olemassa sellaista maalia kuin "Viperin vihrea", ne on kaikki maalitehtaitten perusvareja, sekoitettuina keskenaan. Mm. Standox, Dupont, Sikkens ja niin edelleen.

Nyt noita Vipereita on kai muillakin kuin Mikalla Tampereella ja Thomaksella Ahvenanmaalla?
Mistas pain Suomea olet?

terv. Lauri

Kmrumedy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Terve!

Ei toi Smaragdin vihrea vari sen kummallisempi ole kuin muutkaan varit. Nykyisin monilla auton varin valmistajilla on scanneri, jolla saat oikeat suhteet maaliin. Hyva maalari sen liskai pystyy itse maarittelemaan jos maali on ian mukana vaalentunut.
Lasikuitu ei ole sen kummallisempaa kuin peltikaan, jos on hyva maalari. Mun on maalattu pariinkin kertaan, milloin ovia, kynnyslistoja tai koko keula. Viimeksi koko auto. Mulla on hyva maalari, joka osaa scannerilla testaa varin ja aina on osunut kohdalleen.
Ei ole olemassa sellaista maalia kuin "Viperin vihrea", ne on kaikki maalitehtaitten perusvareja, sekoitettuina keskenaan. Mm. Standox, Dupont, Sikkens ja niin edelleen.

Nyt noita Vipereita on kai muillakin kuin Mikalla Tampereella ja Thomaksella Ahvenanmaalla?
Mistas pain Suomea olet?

terv. Lauri

yeah.....eh....what he said!

OP
OP
P

Pry

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Terve!

Mistas pain Suomea olet?

terv. Lauri
Moro,

Kiitoksia vastauksesta.
Pitännee siis koittaa etsiä mahdollisimman hyvä maalari, jolla on tietämystä lasikuidun maalaamisesta.
Ajattelin kysästä täältä, millaisia menetelmiä Viperin maalipintaa tehdessä on käytetty, jotta saisin siitä mahdollissimman alkuperäisen kaltaisen. Esimerkiksi onko värin päällä jonkinlainen pinnoite?
Juuri nyt asia ei kyllä suuremmin pääse edistymään, koska lumet ovat maassa ja auto on ahtaassa tallissa.

Arvioisin Vipereita olevan nykyisin Suomessa päälle 10. Ainakin tullin tuontitilastojen perusteella määrä on lisääntynyt viimeaikoina.
Itse asustelen Lappeenrannan suunnalla. Harvemmin näitä kyllä liikenteessä näkee, varsinkin täälläpäin. Viime kesänä näin kerran sinisen GTS:än Lappeenrannan keskustaan parkkeerattuna ja yksi SRT taisi käydä lentokentällä kokeilemassa kulkuja. Kyseisen tapahtuman tuloksia näet täältä. Kenttä oli valitettavasti märkä kun pääsin ajamaan, mutta kyllähän tuo kohdalleni sattunut mittavirhe sen juuri ja juuri paikkaa ;). Auto on ainakin toistaiseksi täysin vakiokunnossa.

t. Pyry

OP
OP
P

Pry

Viper Owner
Reaction score
yeah.....eh....what he said!

He said something like "You shouldn't ask these guys hard questions like this one. They just get confused. I own most probably the fastest Viper on the USA so you can ask me just about anything." ;)

Actually he said there's nothing that special on the Viper paint. A good painter can make the color match exactly to the original.

I was wondering if there's some kind of coating on the color?

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The paint is merely a high quality paint. Most quality paint suppliers can match it fine.

If you're getting some repaint done it may be a good idea to block sand the doors and the entire hood to get the fiberglas back to perfectly flat. The resins in fiberglass keep curing and that's why Viper doors are famous for not having a perfectly smooth surface. I'm tempted to block and wet sand my entire car to get the surface flat.

Ted

Canyon707

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You can get the paint at most automotive paint stores. Talleys paint store in Napa Ca is the one I use. I have had several parts repainted. The trunk, the rocker panels, doors. planing on the hood and front fasica this winter. I remove the panel completely from the car. there is no better way to get a good paint job.

RoadiJeff

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Does painting lower the resale value? Mine has a few minor scrapes along the bottom of the front fascia that I aquired before learning that I have to back up my driveway to prevent such things from happening.

You can only see them if you lay on the ground. Other than that the car's finish is just about perfect. I'm debating where I should remove the fascia, sand and prep it myself and have a quality paint shop repaint it. I don't mind doing the work as long as it doesn't send up a red flag on the resale value some year.

PaViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
repainting the front fascia should not hurt the value of a Viper with miles on it, it is almost a given that they will need painting if they are driven very much. It would be different if it is a garage queen that someone is holding onto for a sale at Barrett Jackson in about 30 years:D

AviP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't worry! The internet is an awsome place. I translated that from Finnish to English using that wonderful search engine Google. Here's your answer from: :lmao:

Free Online Finnish to English Translators

sane No toi Emerald green vari its kummallisempi ole like muutkaan varit. Today many driving varin valmistajilla is scanneri , jolly satan accurate interest goal. Hyva artist its pod up yourself maarittelemaan if goal is ian along vaalentunut. If equipment green tape encode , stop mulle stage. Fibreglass no ole its kummallisempaa like peltikaan , if is hyva artist. Mun is paint pariinkin upstairs , as door kynnyslistoja or proportion prow. Last proportion auto. Mulla is hyva artist , which can scannerilla testaa varin and ever is osunut home. No ole purport the goal like Viperin green ", those is everybody maalitehtaitten perusvareja , mixed between. Mm. Lava Dupont Sikkens etcetera. Now wizard Vipereita is maybe muillakin like Michael Tampereella and Thomaksella Ahvenanmaalla? Mistletoe print Marshland olet?

Thank you Al Gore!

P.S. Who is this wizard Vipereita chick? :lmao::2tu:

RedEnuf93

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's one awesome translation. I think they got the "Vihrea=Green" correct.:2tu:
Everything else is garbage... Well, at least I got a good laugh of it...

"Wizard Viperita" chick must be Chucks new girlfriend!:D I had no idea he was into Finnish chicks?

OP
OP
P

Pry

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Don't worry! The internet is an awsome place. I translated that from Finnish to English using that wonderful search engine Google. Here's your answer from: :lmao:

Free Online Finnish to English Translators

sane No toi Emerald green vari its kummallisempi ole like muutkaan varit. Today many driving varin valmistajilla is scanneri , jolly satan accurate interest goal. Hyva artist its pod up yourself maarittelemaan if goal is ian along vaalentunut. If equipment green tape encode , stop mulle stage. Fibreglass no ole its kummallisempaa like peltikaan , if is hyva artist. Mun is paint pariinkin upstairs , as door kynnyslistoja or proportion prow. Last proportion auto. Mulla is hyva artist , which can scannerilla testaa varin and ever is osunut home. No ole purport the goal like Viperin green ", those is everybody maalitehtaitten perusvareja , mixed between. Mm. Lava Dupont Sikkens etcetera. Now wizard Vipereita is maybe muillakin like Michael Tampereella and Thomaksella Ahvenanmaalla? Mistletoe print Marshland olet?

Thank you Al Gore!

P.S. Who is this wizard Vipereita chick? :lmao::2tu:
yonder is yea ripping software! ego essay hence onward everybody media this via :D

agentf1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would find somebody experienced in painting Corvettes and you should be fine. The pics look like it is just paint transfer which should be able to be fixed with just a good buffing. Are there actual scrapes?

OP
OP
P

Pry

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I would find somebody experienced in painting Corvettes and you should be fine. The pics look like it is just paint transfer which should be able to be fixed with just a good buffing. Are there actual scrapes?
These are the pictures I sent to the insurance company. Most of the marks dissapeared after I did the buffing but some of them really are scrapes. I didn't even remember there was that mark on the rear bumper.
There are scrapes on the hood too:
You must be registered for see images

In the picture it looks even worse than the rear fender but after buffing it actually looked better.

Don't let your brothers to park your car. :D

agentf1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Did you try lightly wet sanding with 2000 or 3000 grit before buffing it out? You may be able to remove 90% of it making it livable.

My brother gets NO WHERE NEAR my cars. :nono:

OP
OP
P

Pry

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Did you try lightly wet sanding with 2000 or 3000 grit before buffing it out? You may be able to remove 90% of it making it livable.

My brother gets NO WHERE NEAR my cars. :nono:
I didn't wet sand it. Unfortunately the scrapes have gone trough the paint in some spots so it wouldn't help there.
It was a lot better after buffing it so I drove the car for the rest of the last summer. Now it's winter here so I have the time to repaint it.

FrankBarba

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Its been along time since i have had anything nice to say.....but i'm trying to make the change.....Ok you guys....Talk your talk....

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tbone96