Advice of Oil Weight for ACR and track use

PAvenomRT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Any engine experts out there with opinions on weight of oil for ACR used about 5-6 times per season on track with most miles on the street? Usual recommendation is Mobil-1 0W-40. However, ACR manual recommends 15W-50 for use on the track. Based on this I asked one of the John Archer Viper techs their opinion and they said to stick with the 0W-40 which is what I have done. However, i would like other's opinions on this since the heavier weight oil would seem better with the temperature extremes brought on by tracking during these rather hot summer days. A couple of weeks ago during a very hot track session, I noticed my oil temp climbing well above what it normally is on the street which prompts me to raise this question again.
I would appreciate any feed back.
PAVenomRT/10
09 ACR

Reaction score
You should be changing oil for every track weekend anyway so I would use the 15/50 at the track events especially when it is hot out and then back to the 0/40 for the street. The 15/40 has to be fully warmed up before driving hard and unless you can do that on the street to it is smarter to change it out for the track days IMHO.

OP
OP
P

PAvenomRT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for all your input. It looks like the consensus is 15W50. Interesting that Viper Tech for Viper racing team had other opinion.
PAVenomRT10

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
15w50 Mobil 1 is best for the track.

I change my oil every other "track" weekend.

Dan

Shandon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Motul 15/50 300V Hands down the best on the market for Race/Track IMHO! Dang expensive but my car is worth it
:2tu:
Also I change my oil after each track weekend and my Filter every other.

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Motul 15/50 300V Hands down the best on the market for Race/Track IMHO! Dang expensive but my car is worth it
:2tu:
Also I change my oil after each track weekend and my Filter every other.

Most of the ACRX Cup racers have been running 15w50 Motul, but it is very expensive and the new Mobil 1 race oil has the zinc additives that the Motul has.

Dan

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jpolen21