Advice on 94-95 RT/10 purchase

NONO5.0

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am currently looking for a '94-95 RT/10 and was wondering what issues I should be concerned with while trying to find the right one. I've ALWAYS loved the RT/10's with the side pipes and recently did a search on them (price wise) and I was amazed at how affordable they are :omg: From the research I've done, I should check for stress cracks on the hood and also around the side pipes. What other issues should I look at?

Thanks for any advice! :2tu:

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Headgaskets. Find one that has been replaced with the MLS design. If not, its about a $2k repair (OEM parts and labor)

EDIT: beat by 1 minute by viperdude!

EDIT #2: Find one with tires that won't need replacing for a while. $1k+ for a set depending on the brand you go with

EDIT #3: Definitely get the frame checked out and be sure its straight

Last edited:

viperdude118

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Headgaskets. Find one that has been replaced with the MLS design. If not, its about a $2k repair (OEM parts and labor)

EDIT: beat by 1 minute by viperdude!

EDIT #2: Find one with tires that won't need replacing for a while. $1k+ for a set depending on the brand you go with

Haha......I could have went into more detail on the headgaskets, but figured its been posted enough here that one could find it through some research.....and I knew you were typing at the same time and wanted to get my post in before you so......I cut my reply short. :D

Stretch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would also check the condition of the top & windows coming with it, they're not cheap to replace.

Get an inspection done. They won't catch everything, but it's good to have it up in the air to see under it and inspect it.

Take someone with you who really knows the cars, they will be able to give you even more info above and beyond what the inspection shows. This is definitely definitely the best info you can get, and VCA members are usually nice enough to lend a helping hand.

Check to see that the AC works & is connected (if so equipped).

Sorry for the rambling, I just bought a 95 last fall and I'm trying to remember some of the wacky things I found out after I got to know the car better.

OP
OP
N

NONO5.0

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice everyone! I had forgotten about the headgasket issues. I have good mechanical skills and was wondering if the headgaskets are easy to replace? (it *looks* like they would be as it seems like you have plenty of room to remove the heads) but then again, I've never touched a Viper.

There's one currently in New Orleans I may end up looking at. (I'm located in Mobile, Al) Just curious if there are any owners here from NO that I could possibly pay to look at the car.

Frame wise, what should I look for? Do they have rust issues or cracking or something? If the mounts are bad, I'm guessing ya can hear a clunking of some kind?

The top and side windows don't bother me too much as I'll probably be looking at one of the aftermarket kits for a solid top and real windows.

Before I got my first C5, I was looking at a RT/10 but went with the Vette because of the price. Since, I've had 2 other C5's (still currently own a coupe) but I've ALWAYS loved the RT/10's. VERY sharp cars! :cool:

Sorry for all the n00b questions! :D Thanks so much for all the advice so far! :2tu: Great forum!!!

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I said check the frame to be sure its straight. A whole lotta Vipers have been wrecked and are still on the road. Given the costs to repair them, I'm sure a lot have had "shadetree" repairs and aren't nearly as "fixed" as they should be

Stretch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The headgaskets are not too bad. I had an experienced local guy help me do mine since I'm really new to working on engines, but it went well and I learned a lot.

If you look for aftermarket windows & top, look at AP Engineering / Mach 7 Motorsports first. They have fantastic stuff.

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
partsrack.com will have all the parts you need.

I'd be looking for a car with new headgaskets, PS2 tires, aftermarket exhaust and Gen2 exhaust manifolds. If the stuff wasn't on the car I'd be buying that and noutting that into the car. Stock Catylitic Convertors are BAD and without a/c the car would be too hot to sit in. Don't like the Gen 1 cast iron exhaust manifolds (hp + 50# off for Gen 2 header style manifolds).

Stress cracks in the hood? Never seen any of those.

Ted

1994viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not to highjack the thread, but how would some one know if the head gaskets were changed before? Is there a way to tell without taking the head off? Its just sometimes difficult to find out a complete history on a vehicle which had multiple owners.

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not to highjack the thread, but how would some one know if the head gaskets were changed before? Is there a way to tell without taking the head off? Its just sometimes difficult to find out a complete history on a vehicle which had multiple owners.

Some of the gasket peeps out from the head and block. you can look and see what type material it is. the paper will be brown and flaking a good bit most likely.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score

If you look very closely at the underside Head-To-Block seam, the newer metal-sandwich gasket layer is clearly visible, [assuming the seam area is clean.] A brush and degreaser will spiff it up, and a rougher cleaning pad like a Scotch-Brite will even make that metal layer SHINE. Then you know you have new gaskets.

No metal layer = gaskets WILL fail

viperdrummer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hood cracks for sure. Also check wheels . Lots of folks, including me put 96 wheels on earlier Vipers. Some of these including mine were bad and broke--no fun.

martyb

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why not buy a spotless 94 with the mods already done? Look at my add in the classifieds, 94 RT/10, Roe/Heads/Cam, 3 pc hardtop, real glass windows, approx 680rwhp. Car just turned 30,000 miles, around 4,000 miles on the heads/cam/blower. Head gaskets have obviously been changed, as have the engine tranny mounts(replaced with Woodhouse poly mounts). Car has seen rain 4 times in its life.

martyb

viperbob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why not buy a spotless 94 with the mods already done? Look at my add in the classifieds, 94 RT/10, Roe/Heads/Cam, 3 pc hardtop, real glass windows, approx 680rwhp. Car just turned 30,000 miles, around 4,000 miles on the heads/cam/blower. Head gaskets have obviously been changed, as have the engine tranny mounts(replaced with Woodhouse poly mounts). Car has seen rain 4 times in its life.

martyb

Good idea - your car sounds nice Marty. I'd love to find and buy back my first Viper, a Red '94 that I owned for almost 3 years before I sold it in Maryland in 2000. However, you car intrigues me albeit the miles are up there and the price is a bit more than I want to spend for a modded car. But then again, it seems it would be great for the right person!

isanti

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Good idea - your car sounds nice Marty. I'd love to find and buy back my first Viper, a Red '94 that I owned for almost 3 years before I sold it in Maryland in 2000. However, you car intrigues me albeit the miles are up there and the price is a bit more than I want to spend for a modded car. But then again, it seems it would be great for the right person!

His car sold.

I may be selling a stock 95 (Black) with only 15k on it. It was a TX car, I am the second owner. I picked it up a year ago with only 7k on it. PM me if interested.

viperbob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
His car sold.

I may be selling a stock 95 (Black) with only 15k on it. It was a TX car, I am the second owner. I picked it up a year ago with only 7k on it. PM me if interested.

"His car sold" - which car are you talking about?

Not sure about Black as I am a big Red fan; however, I did have a Black '95 as well but with Silver stripes - looked great.

Ricketts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've been strongly considering a Black GEN 1 car for awhile now. GEN 1's are the coolest cars for the money on the market at this time in my opinion.

isanti

Viper Owner
Reaction score
"His car sold" - which car are you talking about?

Not sure about Black as I am a big Red fan; however, I did have a Black '95 as well but with Silver stripes - looked great.

martyb

I have a black 95 and a red 93. Looking to get rid of one and may trade the black one for a GTS. Red has 78k on it though. LMK if interested.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang