Advice On "BATTERY TENDER' Unit For Winter

Larry Macedo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Advice On \"BATTERY TENDER\' Unit For Winter

I've installed quite a few of the Power Pulse chargers and I believe it's a brand you can find easily at a Napa Auto Parts store.

Ulysses

Enthusiast
Reaction score

If you are talking about the brand name "Battery Tender", then "yes" there are a lot of us who use it for an extended amount of time. And "yes" you can hook it up to the jump terminals under the hood. You can also hook it up with a cigarette lighter adaptor. Much more convenient.

Battery Tenders "are" trickle chargers. Both supply a small amount of current. The big difference is that a battery "tender" will monitor the battery and sustain the optimal voltage level on the battery. It will top off the battery and then when the battery drops to a certain voltage, it will top it off again, thus the name "tender".

Ron

Enthusiast
Reaction score

<FONT face="Comic Sans MS">It's quite easy to hook up a permanent tap (which is included with the name brand Battery Tender) that is easily accessible via the rear side hood opening in front of the driver's door.

One leg to the ground lug, the other to the positive jump tap (under the red cap) add a bit of plastic wire wrap and an inline fuse and you're set to charge anytime you like without even lifting the hood. Especially nice if you have a car cover on. I run it (with alarm on) for about 2 weeks on then 2 weeks off. No particular reason, just what I do.

Make sure you get the Battery Tender Plus, as the charging cycle is modified to work with both standard lead acid and the Optima type batteries in case you go that way someday.</FONT f>

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score

The units mentioned above by Ulysses and Ron are made by Deltran...we have six atteched now, and have used them for several years with no problems. I PERSONALLY disconnect the units from the power source ( PHYSICALLY, not just with a switch on the surge protector) if there are storms in the weather forecast.

snakoil

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I've had one on my car for 3 1/2 years. I put the connector next to the battery post so I don't have to open the hood and plug it in after every ride. It works great.

I don't use the factory alarm system and the new alarm will drain the battery in a couple of weeks.

Steve 00RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I have 2 of the Walmart variety. Have used them for 6 months at a crack the last two winters on two different vehicles with no problems. I cut the ends off and put alligator clips on. It only takes seconds to hook up. In this instance, I believe brand name equals more money just for the name--not necessarily the quality.

The main difference between trickle chargers and tenders is that trickle chargers do not shut off--ever. They continually pump an amp or two into the battery. This can overcharge a battery.
As Ulysses said, a tender tops off the battery and then shuts down(mine shuts off around 12.8 volts). It cycles back on when the voltage drops to a certain point. Theoretically, a fully charged battery should carry 13.2 volts (2.2 per cell)

Steve

David

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Vipergts,

I use a Deltran battery tender. I soldered on a cigarette lighter plug adapter to it so that I can just plug it into the cigarette lighter socket. That's fused for 20A or so and connects directly into the battery. The Deltran will only supply a few amps at most, so this makes for a very convenient connection. I just leave a window open a bit for the cord.

David

Velox

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Or, you can get one at Sears for $30. As long as it's a sensing unit that only trickle charges to a set voltage, it will do the job. I used one on my Viper all winter with no problems. I attached a small connector to the charging posts and have it clipped inside the vent opening in front of the driver's door for easy access. I've had another Sears unit continuously active for the past 5 years on a Vet stored in my basement, it has a full charge every spring or summer. Without these units, if your car sits at all, the battery will deteriorate quickly, and lose its max capacity as well.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960