Aero Exhaust: unboxing, install, initial drive .. more to come

DMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So I picked up an Aero exhaust kit from Vipair, got a good deal and service, as always from Steve.

The box came yesterday, so today I did the install. I did a vid thru the install. I'll have a high quality vid soon with various sound clips. Still too much rain to get that done today.

Overall:

Mufflers are good quality for sure.
Tips are a piece of art, very nice.
Adapter pipe to connect to the cats was pretty bad quality. Required a good amount of modding them, cutting slots, hammering, etc., to get them right, and a clamp broke I then had to replace. Other then the sloppy adaptors, the install was cake.

I'll be doing serious sound clips soon. But first impression - no drone, sound is IMO not as good as a Corsa, but it is a unique sound, definitely lower/deeper than Corsa and not as loud as a Corsa at WOT. You can check out the vid for a teaser on the sound.

Dave.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJ69T9izxqY

AbsolutHank

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nice video Dave...look forward to the next one!

I too have had great experiences and have gotten great advice from Steve at Vipair. Hopefully he can remedy the adapter pipe problem soon, and get some more of these units out there!

I really think with headers and HF cats, this would be a great sounding system since it's much deeper and bassier than the other offerings on the market.

Black Moon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Are your cats still in place? Sounds very nice at idle. I'm trying to quiet mine down without adding cats. Are the Aero mufflers a straight thru design?

Thanks.
Sal

OP
OP
D

DMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Hank, yea I gotta take a real ride & see how I like the sound, and have my son do some drive by's. We'll get some serious vid messing around so peeps can get an ear full.

Yes, stock cats and everything else. It's definitely deeper and idle does sound good and it's definitely quieter than the Corsa I had. It's way better than stock, no question. But not sure about out doing the Corsa. Roads were wet so jury is still out on real WOT runs.

AbsolutHank

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You coming to the VCA dinner/cruise-in tomorrow Dave? I'd like to check them out in person! Looks like the weather is going to hold out for us

OP
OP
D

DMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You coming to the VCA dinner/cruise-in tomorrow Dave? I'd like to check them out in person! Looks like the weather is going to hold out for us

Gonna try, got to take my son to a school thing in the afternoon. I posted over on that thread about how long folks will be at Chilli's, cause I may be kinda late if I can make it. But I sure would like to check it out.

OP
OP
D

DMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Are your cats still in place? Sounds very nice at idle. I'm trying to quiet mine down without adding cats. Are the Aero mufflers a straight thru design?

Thanks.
Sal

Sorry, Sal, missed that second question. Yes they are a 3" straight thru bullet like design. And way shorter than stock and seem a bit shorter than corsa. When I first opened them, I joked that this gonna be loud. But it's not, not obnoxiously loud to me anyway, but I do like exhausts on the louder side but can't stand drone, thank goodness no drone on these.
Dave.

Black Moon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Dave. I went with the Kooks and secondary cats and lost about 20hp on the dyno. At first they were great but now I want a quieter car without losing too much power and want to remove the cats completely. I'm thinking about just adding one more muffler on each side and may try the Aeros or more Kooks since the sound is perfect just too loud.

345s-bspinnin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for taking the time for the documentary. You honest opinions are greatly appreciated. As for the coupling of the pipes, couldn't a band-clamp have worked easier/quicker/stronger ?????

You must be registered for see images attach

OP
OP
D

DMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for taking the time for the documentary. You honest opinions are greatly appreciated. As for the coupling of the pipes, couldn't a band-clamp have worked easier/quicker/stronger ?????

You must be registered for see images attach

It came with beefy clamps, but the only thing that could've cinched the adaptor tight might have been Chuck Norris' grip, the tolerances were just way too off. And the passenger side the adaptor was too small and wouldn't go on without a major battle of wills.

The sound is growing on me. Went to a club cruise in today and several said it sounded good, I need to hear it myself outside the car to really know for sure.
Dave.

Big Turkey

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Oh if you ever run into clamp problems go look for exhaust clamps by Walker. They are a self sealing clamp and I have fixed many many exhaust figment issues with these clamps. Even 2.5-3" connection pipes I sealed with these walker clamps had zero leaks! I am pretty sure your local auto parts store has them. I buy them from a local exhaust reseller by me.

I love deep sounds but hate drone so I tried the magnaflows. I will try to get video and if they do not work out I will try these Aero mufflers next.

OP
OP
D

DMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There were part numbers on the boxes but I didn't take note of them, Steve could certainly give you that info or I'm sure supply this without his tips. I was with you, I like just blacking out the tips, but I have to say, as someone who doesn't like bling, his tips are a marvel to look at.

malcoll

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I used the Magnaflow muffles and simple turnout tips to replace my 2006 exhaust system....total cost less than$250... sounds very good, but the drone is a bit overwhelming sometimes..... I am thinking about removing secondary cats and putting factory mufflers back on to see what that gives me.... if not I may buy the Aero mufflers..... just need to find the right part numbers to fit.

OP
OP
D

DMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You know I did, but then forgot about it. I'll look tonight, if not I can do a couple more. I think if the magnaflow drone bothers you (I've used MF on seceral other cars) you won't be a fan of the Aero either. They sound like MF to me. They are deeper but they do have a drone, it's not a loud drone, it kind of sneaks up on you, as in you don't think it's that bad driving along, but I think the frequency or something hits a sweetspot to the ear and when you stop driving after a long haul, your ears let you know they weren't happy, like a little "concert" effect afterwards, if that makes sense. At VOI I talked to several folks about the exhaust, it does sound pretty good outside the car, but again IMO, I'd go back and do Corsa over the Aero for this 1 reason, the Corsa never "hurt" my ears.

Of course this is me talking after just driving 9 hrs each way to VOI. Oh, I did post a vid of the car running the autocross in the VOI12 forum, you may get some sound there, but it's kinda far away, I'll check to night though.

Dave.

cubican

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Aero mufflers makes 2 types al-2525 or al-2525xl The xl mufflers have a built in resonator and the drone is cut out ,the ones on the kit are the regular ones I think. for the parts # 2525 is for 2.5" the 3030 is for 3" and so on....

Last edited: