After track day cleanup

wing

Viper Owner
Reaction score
How do you remove tire smears from your car. The first layer comes off easy but what is left is a "shadow". I have tried wax, cleaner wax, bug and tar remover, brake cleaner, gas and clay bar and nothing will take the shadow off. The smears are especially noticeable on a white car.

F

FrgMstr

Mask off with Blue Tape next time.

I usually "scrub" mine off with a bug solvent, but I also have a full clear bra that I am not worried too much about tearing up.

OP
OP
W

wing

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Used blue tape. Repaired after each session. Did not always stay on.

hou99gts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bug and tar remover works for me, but I have a clear bra on my rocker panels. I let the bug and tar remover soak in for a minute or two before removal. Do it as soon as possible after leaving the track.

SFViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
One can of WD-40 and you're done. Spray a little on the tar, wait a few minutes to dissolve tar, then wipe off with soft cotton cloth. Just remember to give your car a good wash & wax afterwards.

Viperless

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How do you remove tire smears from your car. The first layer comes off easy but what is left is a "shadow". I have tried wax, cleaner wax, bug and tar remover, brake cleaner, gas and clay bar and nothing will take the shadow off. The smears are especially noticeable on a white car.

Brake cleaner??

You may have to use a buffer. Next time use gaffer's tape instead of blue painters tape. Road Warrior also helps a lot.

Allan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A local paint/body shop turned me on to some acetone. (with warning to be very careful with it) That stuff removes almost anything from your paint or clearcoat, -including your clearcoat.

Allan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
One can of WD-40 and you're done. Spray a little on the tar, wait a few minutes to dissolve tar, then wipe off with soft cotton cloth. Just remember to give your car a good wash & wax afterwards.
I tried that, and it didn't work very well for me, that's when the paint guy gave me the acetone. You do not spray this stuff on the car though. Apply a small amount to a soft cloth, and wipe the contaminant only. It eats whatever. Tire rubber, tar, paint, brain cells, skin, the inside of your lungs. Stop working the area imediately when the junk is lifted from the paint, or you may need new paint. :omg:

MarcRoth

Enthusiast
Reaction score
put a quart or kerosene (spell) in wash bucket with soap that will work the best...

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I used 3m Adhesive remover from Griots. Track days are fun, cleanup is not.

You must be registered for see images attach

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
bottom line folks, you can get the black off easy, but the blemishes will haunt you if you trac a car, learn to deal with it,or scuff and buff, or learn to deal with it

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Frankly, it only bothers me when the sills are off the Viper, LOL. The track rubber has been under my sills since last July. :D

Leslie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
bottom line folks, you can get the black off easy, but the blemishes will haunt you if you trac a car, learn to deal with it,or scuff and buff, or learn to deal with it

Agree!!!

Use tape if you want to protect the nose or just do a lot of cleaning!

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Has anyone tried Mother's R3 Racing Rubber Remover?

Bug & Tar remover didn't work too well for me, and I don't like to "polish" the stuff off. I have tried the WD-40 trick recently and it seemed to work; but, left an oilly residue (duh). I don't like the idea of an unknown chemical like that on my car on a regular basis. At least Mother's has some kind of car care product reputation to uphold, so, I would tend to trust that. I was thinking of trying it if I could find it for sale locally.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Viper123456