Aftermarket Airbox Setup?

jasontiff

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I just got a new (to me) GTS 2 weeks ago and have slowly discovered the multitude of mods done to it. It's got larger Accufab throttle bodies, bigger Roe smooth tubes but they kept the factor airbox (and modded it). They cut the back of it up and wedged some metal tubes in there for the smooth tubes to clamp down on.

While this works, is there a better solution for my car? An air intake setup that will mate up perfectly to my larger TBs? It just seems kind of rigged.

GTSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There are lots of options. Do a search and look for PBJ airboxes. However, there are two to stay away from. One is the open cone filters that **** hot air from the engine compartment and the other is the Fipke one with tight bends and small tubes.

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't think Roe's modded air box housing uses metal but what looks like 3" plastic tubes to accept the 3" smooth tubes. I agree with Chuck, I'd go with the Vipair setup.

FE 065

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Roe used to use plastic but after some troubles...went to metal tubing inserts is the story I heard a few years ago

VIPER BAZ UK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That carbon set up is the dogs danglys!!!!!!
$800 seems strong though, But that being said 1st class workmanship there also....

RoadiJeff

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Here's a pic of my PBJ airbox setup. You can get it in any color or finsh you want. The Sneaky Pete is actually a cutout in the metal. It's hard to tell in the pic but the airbox includes a ram air scoop on the front, sort of like what you'll find on the Vipair.

You must be registered for see images attach

DVSGTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
If I didn't already have the carbon fiber setup, I would have gone with the PBJ box.

OP
OP
J

jasontiff

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Here's a pic of my PBJ airbox setup. You can get it in any color or finsh you want. The Sneaky Pete is actually a cutout in the metal. It's hard to tell in the pic but the airbox includes a ram air scoop on the front, sort of like what you'll find on the Vipair.

You must be registered for see images attach

This is Performance by Joe, right? Every time I've tried to find a site for him or look for the products he makes I've just found hits for the Viper forums. How much does the box run and where can I get one?

OP
OP
J

jasontiff

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Ah...JMB and PBJ are one in the same? That price isn't too bad compared to the carbon setup. I'll see what the techs say when they give me a once-over and if the stock airbox is handicapping me I'll be looking at one of these. Thanks!

GoCanes1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jason,

Avatar looks great! Are there any pics of the post detail?

As far as the airbox goes, I don't think there is as big of a dollar for bang horsepower worth to go with an aftermarket although the PBJ box is gorgeous.

Mike

RoadiJeff

Viper Owner
Reaction score
This is Performance by Joe, right? Every time I've tried to find a site for him or look for the products he makes I've just found hits for the Viper forums. How much does the box run and where can I get one?

Here's his contact info. He used to have a website, although it mainly listed his phone # and address. He's a very good but also a very busy Viper tuner. Does excellent work but sometimes hard to get ahold of.

Performance by Joe
3443 Hampton Ave
Saint Louis, MO 63139-1940
(314) 781-3135

TexasPettey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anyone use the PBJ for a Gen1? I wouldn't think it would seal properly. I'm planning on doing a mock up and build a Gen1 setup similar but with a top to seal it from taking in engine bay air.

OP
OP
J

jasontiff

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Jason,

Avatar looks great! Are there any pics of the post detail?

As far as the airbox goes, I don't think there is as big of a dollar for bang horsepower worth to go with an aftermarket although the PBJ box is gorgeous.

Mike

It's not done-done, but it's way better.

My exhaust was a little dirty:
You must be registered for see images

Here is the front and back...still need to get tags:

OP
OP
J

jasontiff

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Nah, it works/looks pretty good. Thanks anyway. Congrats again on your car Jason. Told ya the right one would come along, it is badass!

I lost count of the jerks that said "there is a better one that's coming" and you just admitted you're one of them :D Thanks for the congrats...it'll be a beast when we get it tuned up!

2001 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nice looking GTS!

I have the 70mm TBs with the Roe rear air box as well, and yes mine has the metal tubes coming out of it also. I'm pretty sure the Roe option is the only one that lets you keep the front part of the stock air box stock while making the rear holes larger for the bigger tubes.

treesnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
PBJ air box???? :omg:

It along with every "PBJ" air box ever built was fabricated by
Justin at JMB Performance

JMB Performance & Powdercoat, LLC

I have the first "PBJ Airbox" ever made. Still have it somewhere. JMB can powdercoat them any color you want. I have gotten two additional JMB cold air intakes since. JMB has a modified box for cars with S/Cs and larger radiators too. You can get it with or without the waterjet Sneaky Pete cutout.

If you go the other route, you won't get a reply much less an intake...:rolleyes:

Last edited:

2001ViperGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had a JMB/PBJ airbox on my 01 and loved it. Great quality and design. Treesnake, I think I actually had the first one!

Disturbed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
From a performance stand point, tubes and filters are all you need. On my 01 ACR The stock intake system (mani, tubes, filter and TB) were all stock and made 565rwhp.

From a bling stand point....GO FOR IT!

On my 01 Race car with MUCH more engine work it only makes 20rwhp more.

The stock intake system works well....

But to really get power these cars need a better intake mani.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
webironmongery