Age of 20 buy a Viper?

RedSnakeGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Excellent advice above! You cant take any money with you, so take advantage of life and roll with it. I say go for it!

OP
OP
S

SRTRICKY

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Before I bought mine my dad gave me this piece of advice. "In the end, it doesnt matter if you die with 2 million or 2 cents in the bank, all that matters is that you lived life the way you wanted with as few regrets as possible". So GO FOR IT!!!!

Your dads a smart man!

ccbatson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just my opinion, but, I think it is obsene. At age 20, you are too immature, and too young for an 80 thousand dollar car, not to mention one with 500 HP. Unless you have earned the money and capabilities necessary (I can hardly imagine how), you should wait until you have. I don't begrudge you the desire, what 20 year old male doesn't have the desire? I just question your judgment (and that of any adults in your life for not having advised against it yet).

knuk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just my opinion, but, I think it is obsene. At age 20, you are too immature, and too young for an 80 thousand dollar car, not to mention one with 500 HP. Unless you have earned the money and capabilities necessary (I can hardly imagine how), you should wait until you have. I don't begrudge you the desire, what 20 year old male doesn't have the desire? I just question your judgment (and that of any adults in your life for not having advised against it yet).

I wouldn't go so far to say that because he is 20 years old he is immature...
There are many professional drivers younger than 20, or in their early 20's that can drive circles around most older guys ;)
I do think it's a stupid move money-wise though...but like I said before, unless daddy is paying!

VIPERMIKE

Viper Owner
Reaction score
MAGICBOY2 has a good point, but if you get married and have kids, look out. You always hear about older guys saying, "I wish I would have."

knuk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
MAGICBOY2 has a good point, but if you get married and have kids, look out. You always hear about older guys saying, "I wish I would have."
I've bought 3 Vipers SINCE getting married and having kid's...

Viperfreak2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Regret? The biggest regret would be to buy the car, drive it for a while, then have to turn it in because you didn't understand that insurance, property taxes, oil changes, tires, and gas will cost a hell of a lot more than a normal car. Hell I paid cash for the SRT-10 and I'm shocked at the cost of driving it WITHOUT car payments. I can burn 1/4 tank of gas going to the Burger King. 4 gallons at $2 a gallon....to eat a $4 Whopper combo.

Then again, I drove 15,000 miles in the Viper last year. Let's see, at 15 mpg I spent $2000 on gas, $2400 property tax, 5 oil changes @ $90+each, $1200 for tires (they will not last past 15,000) and $1200 for insurance. About $7250.

Damn, that sounds like a bargain now that I think about it!

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I bought my first Viper at age 16 with the milk money I saved since I was 6. My second Viper came quicker since lawn mowing pays more than milk money. I am the envy of everyone else my age.

CTViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sounds like your dad is going to co Sign for it! Remember you have to pay taxes and insurance. What would insurance be on a Viper for a 20 yr old? 7 years, Didn't know they went that long, thought it was 5. My only problem is what is it going to be worth after 7 years and with financing it whats your total cost going to be. If i were you i would bank the car payment for 2 years and then use it for a bigger down payment. You could die tomorrow and never own one so its just a matter of whats the most important thing. Just my 3 cents worth!

Andy 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Personally, if you are a 20-year old millionaire, it would make a lot of sense. I might not do it if I had to take a loan out, and didn't have a lot of money. But age shouldn't be a factor.

ArlyDude

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just turned 21 and I am picking my Viper up next month. Paying in cash too. Well check. But I own 2 businesses and I believe the Viper will actually help business once my customers and the people who know me know I have one because they might think...Damn, if he has a Viper at 21 he must have a lot of customers and do good service. By the way, it's 2 computer stores.

98MODMTR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just turned 21 and I am picking my Viper up next month. Paying in cash too. Well check. But I own 2 businesses and I believe the Viper will actually help business once my customers and the people who know me know I have one because they might think...Damn, if he has a Viper at 21 he must have a lot of customers and do good service. By the way, it's 2 computer stores.

Oh crap, he just got all psychological on us.

LynnRI

Enthusiast
Reaction score
But I own 2 businesses and I believe the Viper will actually help business once my customers and the people who know me know I have one because they might think...Damn, if he has a Viper at 21 he must have a lot of customers and do good service. By the way, it's 2 computer stores

Or, seething with jealousy, they decide a comeuppance is in order for this young upstart, and business implodes.

Good luck with that. :2tu:

Travis

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I personally would go for the best car I could get with cash. If I had around $20k and was looking for a sports car, I'd get a nice C4 Vette.

Man, for 20k you can do so much better then a C4 Vette is scary...

LT5 is a awesome motor in a poo car though!