Air bag light

lh4x4

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Nice sunny day for a ride. Took a scenic view ride along the Mississippi on route 84 in north western Illinois. As I drove home I noticed the air bag light was on. Has this happened to anyone? Is it a big deal?

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Go to a dealer to get it checked out by a scan tool. And no, but sorry, you aren't the first person to ever have this happen to them. Inventor's rights have long since been taken. ;)

2000_Black_RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mine went on once, then never again.. I think it was a fluke mishap in the electronics..

Last edited:

Kai SRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I hit a bump and the light came on. The scan tool (which the dealer charged me $100 to use) said it was a ground fault in the passenger side seat sensor (that tells the computer whether there is someone sitting in the passenger seat.) I still haven't got around to getting it fixed. The dealer said that the sensor's only purpose was to tell the computer not to set off the passenger air bag, so now it will go off if the driver's side one goes off, whether or not someone is sitting in the passenger seat. I can live with that, rather than pay the dealer the $1500 plus he wanted to charge me to fix it.

Flexx91

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I hit a bump and the light came on. The scan tool (which the dealer charged me $100 to use) said it was a ground fault in the passenger side seat sensor (that tells the computer whether there is someone sitting in the passenger seat.) I still haven't got around to getting it fixed. The dealer said that the sensor's only purpose was to tell the computer not to set off the passenger air bag, so now it will go off if the driver's side one goes off, whether or not someone is sitting in the passenger seat. I can live with that, rather than pay the dealer the $1500 plus he wanted to charge me to fix it.

Why should you have to pay to have a faulty airbag system serviced if your car was never involved in a collision and is still under warranty?

OP
OP
L

lh4x4

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks for the good info. My son has a scanner. I have him bring it the next time he visits. He hasn't driven the Viper yet. That will be the hook to have him run the scan. He's a ASE cert. Master Mech.

I was concerned that the bags wouldn't go off. If it makes the passenger bag go off when it's not necessary then it's not to big of a problem. If I'm driving anywhere with it my wife is with.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Personally, I'd go to the dealer with that system's problems...use the correct diagnostic tool ("the year matters"), find the problem, apply the fix.

While you are MORE than fortunate to have a SAE Certified Master Mechanic as a son...excellent, rather clever planning, I'd say :) !!...I HOPE that his scan tool does the job, as I have had poor luck trying various scaners other than those from Chrysler.

Please let us know the outcome...and best of luck !

ViperGeorge

Enthusiast
Reaction score
While I usually shun them like the plague, I've found that an extended warranty on a Viper makes sense. Generally you run out of time long before you exceed the mileage. Given the cost of some repairs its more than paid for itself on my 06.

By the way you can buy the extended warranty after your original warranty expires as long as certain conditions are met. I'm just not sure what those conditions are.

Kai SRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
By the way you can buy the extended warranty after your original warranty expires as long as certain conditions are met. I'm just not sure what those conditions are.

I'm pretty sure that the conditions include not having modified/replaced just about everything on your car other than the frame. (which means I probablly wouldn't qualify)