Air Oil Separator Results?

Tim

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have checked my line from the valve cover to the air box and there has been some oil caught in the little sponge filter. There is no sign that any of it was coming back down the smooth tube into the intake manifold.

I don’t think a catch con on the Valve covers on the GEN 2 would help much if any.

Putting the catch can on the CCV line on the Viper seems to make more sense and is probably where we are getting the vast majority of our oil in the intake from.

Where does everyone have their catch can hooked to and what are your results?

Thanks

Tim

MTGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have checked my line from the valve cover to the air box and there has been some oil caught in the little sponge filter. There is no sign that any of it was coming back down the smooth tube into the intake manifold.

I don’t think a catch con on the Valve covers on the GEN 2 would help much if any.

Putting the catch can on the CCV line on the Viper seems to make more sense and is probably where we are getting the vast majority of our oil in the intake from.

Where does everyone have their catch can hooked to and what are your results?

Thanks

Tim

Check your air filter. That's where all mine was going. I installed a catch can and a valve cover breather.

OP
OP
T

Tim

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The little bit of oil that I’m getting into the foam filter in the air box is not getting into the manifold as the smooth tubes and the throttle bodies are bone dry.

The only other place my intake can be getting the oil from has to be from the CCV hose.

MADMAX

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've just fitted an air/oil separator - mounted it on the ali crossmember next to the alternator - to early to tell how effective it's been. I can post a photo if anyone's interested.

I've got both the CCV and rocker cover vents tubed together into a single separator.

Like you Tom, I had evidence of oil on the air box sponge but nothing to speak of in the air box or air-tubes. The CCV I'm not so sure about.

Why have I bothered doing it then, if I don't have a problem? Because my driving habits have recently changed - I'm starting to do much faster track driving and think it's needed. :drive:

Fit an air/oil separator if you think you need it, else, leave alone. :2tu:

OP
OP
T

Tim

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hey Madmax

I thought about doing both the CCV and V covers but I was not sure if I would thow any codes so I just did the CCV. If yours works well let us know and I will tie them both in.

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I did an inline air/oil separator at the CCV. I catch oil, little. maybe 1-2oz per oil change but haven't been on the track with it yet. Will do so in June. No codes. There's a write up about it in the illustrated section.

MADMAX

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Madmax

I thought about doing both the CCV and V covers but I was not sure if I would thow any codes so I just did the CCV. If yours works well let us know and I will tie them both in.

No error codes generated, not yet anyway, and I'm not expecting any.

I did an inline air/oil separator at the CCV. I catch oil, little. maybe 1-2oz per oil change but haven't been on the track with it yet. Will do so in June. No codes. There's a write up about it in the illustrated section.

Great write-up Tony - it's what inspired me.

One per valve cover mounted on the fenders. I pull a lot of moisture out of the motor with them with some oil.

Agree with you on the moisture issue - one very good reason not to simply vent to atmosphere. Another is the smell.

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've just fitted an air/oil separator - mounted it on the ali crossmember next to the alternator - to early to tell how effective it's been. I can post a photo if anyone's interested.I've got both the CCV and rocker cover vents tubed together into a single separator.

Ive also got the same type of air / oil separator that MadMax has, Nothing in mine so far as Ive not had time to fit the thing :rolaugh:

Since you connected the CCV and rocker cover tubes together and routed them to the separator can; where did you route the can outlet to? Outside air? Airbox? Intake manifold vacuum ports ?

If to the manifold intake ports; does it affect the air fuel mixture by allowing it to **** more air from the rocker cover vents in addition to the small CCV inlet it used to be connected to ?

KNG SNKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I only smell it ever so slightly sometimes. I just finished a 10.5 hour trip in the Viper so I'm sure I will have some goodness come out of those cans.

MADMAX

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Since you connected the CCV and rocker cover tubes together and routed them to the separator can; where did you route the can outlet to? Outside air? Airbox? Intake manifold vacuum ports ?

If to the manifold intake ports; does it affect the air fuel mixture by allowing it to **** more air from the rocker cover vents in addition to the small CCV inlet it used to be connected to ?

Jim,
I routed the can outlet back to the intake manifold vacuum port.
Good point with-respect-to sucking more air from the rocker cover - unless anyone knows for sure, I shouldn't think any air flow through this part of the system would have any tangiable effect on AFR.
Ade.

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here is a little different approach:

1. Remove PCV valve and cap off that outlet.

2. Cap off the the two existing tubes that enter the front/middle of the intake at the front of the engine.

3. Reuse/modify the existing tubing on the engine front and:

a. Tee into both valve covers.

b. Run a new tube to the catch can/breather which must be below the level of the valve cover. I mounted mine off of the frame near the lower part of radiator. Note, this is a breather also, not, just a can.

4. Since you have partially restricted the exit of the blow-by, you should add a Roe breather to the pass side valve cover.

I run my car as hard as anyone and there are no fumes or oil under the hood. I did this about four years ago, but, I think the details are accurate.

As a side note, the reason I did the above, when I changed the heads the intake interior was totally saturated with gummy hard oil residue. I believe most of this happened after adding the T&D rockers, in my case they increased the oil flow to the heads and a hard long right hand turn would push the oil into the intake. It is also probable that the PCV added to the problem. In short, the oem pcv system ***** unless you drive slow and straight.

Black Moon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm getting some blow by after adding the Paxton. Can some of you post photos of your set ups so I can figure this out. I have a separator on the right side and a vented filler cap on the driver's side. It's blowing mainly out the driver's. I can't seem to be able to find a screw in separator for that side.

Is appreciate some guidance. Thanks, Sal

PS It's a gen 3.

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
An update on mine: I pulled the intake over the weekend so I could swap out my t-stat. My intake runners had a little bit of oil in them, very little and I found oil residue in the airbox coming from valve cover tube. My air separator sits inline between the CCV orifice and the intake. I checked the line going back to the intake (tee) and it's bone dry. So it looks like I'll be doing a catch can for the valve covers too.

I like Jack's idea of capping off the CCV but since I already have a separator inline, I'm going to eliminate the return line from the separator to the intake ports. I'll simply cap off the intake ports and leave the CCV can in place. I'll add a little breather to it. I really like this separator so I'm getting another one to catch the valve covers and will put a breather on it as well.

nutkees

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is it also possible to run the CCV AND the valvecover together in one line to a catch tank?

I also bought a catch tank and 1 line will come of the valvebreather (roe racing) and the other on from the valvecovers. Reading this thread I'm a little confused. Is it better to catch the CCV or the valvecovers?

I als read that people do them both, so why dont merge the CCV and Valvecovers in one hose to a catch tank?

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is it also possible to run the CCV AND the valvecover together in one line to a catch tank?

I also bought a catch tank and 1 line will come of the valvebreather (roe racing) and the other on from the valvecovers. Reading this thread I'm a little confused. Is it better to catch the CCV or the valvecovers?

I als read that people do them both, so why dont merge the CCV and Valvecovers in one hose to a catch tank?

I'm catching both because my particular situation calls for it. Some don't get below blow-by, some do. My CCV can isn't filling up but I've caught a good 2-3oz between oil changes. Doesn't sound like much but I don't want that getting into the intake. I'll probably end up using one can to catch the ccv and valvecovers. Going to figure that out today while I'm in the engine bay.

OP
OP
T

Tim

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I put my catch can onto the CCV line and then back into the manifold

Test run was some booting around town then I made a hard run out west to Jasper, down to the Colombia ice Fields through Nordegg, over to Red Deer and back to Edmonton.

Edm to Jasper I average 75 mph. But from Jasper south to the Colombia Ice Fields and over to Red Deer I ran the car hard and fast. All in all 800+ miles and to my surprise I had a good 2 ozs or so of oil in my catch can. While cruising my RPM was a good 2800 rpm and lots of redline shifting.

My car has the full Stryker Package and has dynoed 555 at the rear wheels and since then I have bumped my compression up a full point so I should be 575+-. For what I have into the car this is just added insurance.

Tim

RACR77

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Lots of great info in this thread :2tu:.

Sounds like you had a great trip Tim, beautiful country along that route.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jpolen21