Air vent mist

NDVIPER

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have a '98 RT/10 that I purchased in March. My air conditioning wasn't working and I didn't really care but one day one of my sons came by with an extra can of refrigerant that he didn't need and I had him put it in the Viper. I tested the air in the garage and it seemed fine. One day last week I was barely getting any cold air and eventually there was no cold at all. I began to think I had o-rings leaking. The other day I happened to turn on the air again to see if by chance anything would happen and I had cold air coming out of the vents. And it was cold. I began to think maybe I hadn't put the control knob on the air snowflake last week and put it on the "face" spot by mistake. I tried to warm up the air as it was really cold and turned the control knob into the red zone and it didn't make any difference, it was still very cold. Today I did a search here and found that the air apparently always blows as cold as possible. Okay I can live with that. My real question here is has anyone ever had like a fine mist coming out of the air vents? After driving the car for awhile with the air on and the temp control knob turned into the red zone, I started to notice what looked like smoke or a mist coming out of the vents. I was almost home so I turned off the air and parked the car in the garage. I haven't been back out in it to see what happens now. So, has anyone experienced the mist/smoke or whatever it is coming from the vents when the air is turned on? I had figured I wouldn't need the air this summer, just run with the top off but we have been having the hottest summer on record.

got one

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yup, normal. On a long trip (say 45 minutes+) on hot days I notice that "smoke" along with flucauations in air temps.

OP
OP
N

NDVIPER

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks for the information guys. When I saw that coming out of the vents it freaked me out.

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sometime it will totally freeze up, and stop blowing cold. Means it has completely iced up. Solution is to turn it off for a bit, and let the condenser melt off, then back to cool air.

You may also notice on the early cars, that when you step on the gas, the AC cuts off. Then turns back on when the throttle is relieved.

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If we assume that an auto AC system is similar to conventional (home/office) AC units the condenser coil is typically operating substantially above freezing. When the coil freezes that indicates a problem elsewhere in the system.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang