Airbag light

Venom08

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Went for a quick drive this morning and noticed that my dang airbag light is on. I cranked the car several times to see if it would reset. When I first start up the light goes out then comes back on. When it does you hear a single chime. I had the seats out for a while working on the car. What could this be? Will a regular scan tool pick up any codes for this?

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Complex system...over my head.

Did you disconnect battery before disconnecting the electrical connector to the seat before removal?

Have you tried to disconnent battery and leave cables off for a couple of minutes (or ground the removed positive cable to the removed negative cable)??

I suspect that you will need a StarSCAN, StarMobile/PC, or a wiTECH/PC to read the codes. Though I have the car and the "stuff", I have not fooled with this system.

Would give Mr. Tator a call tomorrow!!

OP
OP
V

Venom08

Viper Owner
Reaction score
No, I did not disconnect the battery before I removed the seats. I have had the driver seat out before and did not disconnect the battery...no problems that time. I know I should though :rolleyes: I have double checked all connectors to the seats and everything looks intact. I have had my son sit in the passenger seat to make sure that circuit works...seems to do fine. Like I said, when I crank it the light goes out after a few seconds but it comes right back on in sync with a single chime. Some things seem too dang sensitive I know that!

OP
OP
V

Venom08

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I am hoping that by disconnectng the battery for a few minutes may reset things. Who knows?:dunno: I will try it tonight. My dealer is an hour and a half away, I don't feel like making that trip for something like this, but I guess I may have to. I do remember switching the ignition to on whle the seats were still out. I was verifying the left and right window switches. Maybe this is when the system saw something "missing" :rolleyes:

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Venom08, I've been back and forth, up and down the 2008 Viper Service/Wiring Manual on CD...and, about all that I have found leads one (YOU) to hooking up the appropriate scan tool (as I listed above) to look for a DTC and/or reset the airbag light.
Sorry that I can't seem to uncover a shortcut...noting that I am wondering about your system in general as you were chasing another "light" a short time ago. Have to wonder if it's all "procedural" or if you have a harness/module problem. I must admit that the more complex the Viper models have become, the more suspicious I am of any aftermarket wiring project...just personal prejudice ...plus my AGE. :)

A call to Chuck Tator or Tom Sessions is far cheaper than calling a flatbed!!

Good luck, and please post final outcome.

P.S. If you are the Venom Red Coupe owner that I met Saturday at the coffee shop...call me, bring it over, and we will hook up the scan tools!!!

2001ViperGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm having the same issue with my 08. I haven't had my seats out, but I believe someone mentioned something in another thread about possibly a loose connection under the seat. I put my hand under there and tried to jiggle/tighten everything I could reach. Light didn't come on the next few times I drove the car, but since then it has come on again and does so every time I drive the car. Let me know if you find a solution, otherwise I guess I'll have to make a trip to the local dealer.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Hello, again, Venom08...just got on my main computer...where I see you are located in NC...sorry, but I can't tell that on my PDA from which I was posting.

You are still welcome to come over, BUT...Sessions is a LOT CLOSER!!!

OP
OP
V

Venom08

Viper Owner
Reaction score
:dunno:AWWWWW crap!:( I disconnected the ground from the battery when I got home and let it sit for about 15 minutes. I hooked it all back up and started her up, but the light came back on. I talked to Chuck Tator this morning (really nice guy BTW), and he thinks that since the seats were unplugged I probably have a code that needs to be cleared by the dealer. I guess that I will be headed to the dealer Friday. This *****. He also said that it was very common for the check engine light to come on after a battery disconnect on the 08 or 09's. That went away after about the 3rd start. He has seen this before too and it was just a code that needed to be cleared. I just wonder when I go to the dealer should I tell them about having the seats and such out, or just tell them the light came on and let them do their thing?:dunno:

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
I'd be up front with them...Techs around here are helpful and liberal ...as long as you aren't trying to put something over on them. Secondly, the truth will help lead them to the root cause...possibly avoiding unnecessary labor, possible part swap-outs...and the occasional mis-adventures precipitated by said wild goose chases.
I'm sure a lot of folks here regularly remove the seats for cleaning purposes!! :)

OP
OP
V

Venom08

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I guess. I have always hated going in for any service work. I, as well as most Viper owners here, BABY my car. I refuse to have any scratch, water spot, bug stain, or what ever....its so hard to find someone else that will respect your car and treat it as if it were theirs. I tend to be a perfectionist. :smirk: The last car, which I still have, that I took in for warranty work was my 99 Pontiac Trans Am WS6. It is black, and to date has no water spots, bug stains, or scratches on the paint. Well needless to say when I took it in that time they hit something in the shop and scuffed the paint on the left rear panel. Luckily I buffed it out. I would SH*T if they put a scratch on the Viper:omg:

OP
OP
V

Venom08

Viper Owner
Reaction score
:2tu: I fixed it! I had scheduled a visit to the dealer Friday, but I decided tonight to check the plugs on the seats one more time. I looked at them real close and noticed that on the passenger plug one of the wires looked pushed out a little more than the others. I DISCONNECTED THE BATTERY, then unplugged it. For some reason when I plugged it in one of the pins did not line up perfectly or something and had pushed itself out some. So this wire was not making contact when plugged in. Anyway, I got some small needle nose pliers and pulled the pin back in the plug. Plugged it up, hooked the battery back up and checked it....light went off! I am so happy that I will not have to go to the dealer now :headbang:

2001ViperGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the update, I'll have to get under my seats and check all of my connections to make sure they are all tight...