Alarm Set Light on Continuously - Car Still Operates

jgrakla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi All:

Have a problem with Alarm Set light on my 94 RT. Alarm Set light is on continuously but car still runs. Does not respond to arm/disarm button pushes on the FOB. I've read lots of other posts about Alarm Setlight flashing. Few articles about alarm set on continuously. Have tried disconnecting/reconnecting battery. Tried the FOB reprogramming procedure (but not getting the indicative Alarm Set light flash that indicates ECM is entering program mode). Verified both FOBs are good and actually transmitting (using a RF tester/detecter at Home Depot). Also tried pushing both arm/disarm at the same time. Also tried various sequences of trunk/arm/disarm buttons. Not sure what else to do short of taking the car to the dealer. Any ideas? Thanks in advance!

OP
OP
J

jgrakla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is a strange one.....but I found some info that answered my own question. I'll post it here in case others ever have similar problems.

Learned several things by studying this conversation between the owner of a '92 RT and a tech on justanswer.com. The tech gives several key pieces of information summarized as follows:
1. The security system is powered by three fuses. Fuse 7 (25A), 8 (5A), and 14(20A). In my case, I had found blown fuse 14 earlier in the day, and stopped there. Didn't realize there were two more security power feeds to check. Sure enough, my fuse 7 was also blown. Swapped that out, and all of a sudden the security system started responding to the FOB.
2. The tech also describes that the "VTA module of the security system can maintain bias on the CCD bus even when the body controller is powered down". I take that to mean the security system still protects the car even if main power is lost. He goes on to say the system can sometimes go into an initialization mode that was used at the assembly plant so that factory workers could avoid disabled ignition and audible alarms. The resolution in the case (although did not apply to me) requires 20 engine cranks to initialize or reset the system.

Both of these are apparently symptoms of Alarm Set on steady. Learned alot from this....although still not clear what caused my fuses to blow in the first place. I have been working on speaker and stereo upgrade, so it is possible I accidentally grounded out something and didn't realize it. Hope this information may help others in the future with the apparently rare case of the "Alarm Set" on steady.

Magicboy2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had similar issues with my 94 when I got it. Also the security system would arm itself and not be disarmed by the fob (car would just start and then immediately cut off), leaving me stranded once or twice. Anyway, replaced the whole computer module and haven't had any problems since.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jpolen21