all connecting rods bent

Sten Herne

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi,

having disassembled the engine, we found that all rods were bent. The engine is from 1998 GTS (+ Roe supercharged, 590HP in dyno). As it should have forged rods and pistons this HP should not be the problem.
But how can I make sure if the rods are really forged or maybe previous owner has replaced them? Current rods have markings 53005798 H65 M.

thanks
Sten Herne

OP
OP
S

Sten Herne

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Those look like forged pistons. But what happened to those rods? :confused: Hydrolock with water or fuel maybe?

No hydrolock while car has been here and the car was running fine. We were replacing camshaft and noticed that one piston didn't move as smooth as it should, took piston out and saw that rod was bent.

I understand that this is not a common problem as those rods should take 600+HP easily. Maybe the rods were bent already before the the car was shipped to Estonia.

Does it make sense to replace them with OEM rods or do we have to order stronger ones? We are planning to get 800HP from this engine. And where could we find replacement rods (engine year 1998)?

Joseph Dell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've seen that before. It was hydralock. Were you running water/**** on that set-up? if so, i'd be willing to bet that you had too much water.

Sorry to hear that.

Arrow sells rods for $25 each for your year if you call them...

JD

OP
OP
S

Sten Herne

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've seen that before. It was hydralock. Were you running water/**** on that set-up? if so, i'd be willing to bet that you had too much water.

Yes, we were running water/**** but I doubt if this system is even capable of hydrolocking the engine. Very unlikely.

Arrow sells rods for $25 each for your year if you call them...

Any place to look for forged rods that are stronger than originals? Or billet rods? So far all I have found are for newer generation of engine (different bore and stroke).
Something like this ( https://www.viperspecialtyperformance.co...cf639c5f85941b5 ) for 1998 engine would be great.

jp

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you intend to go higher on boost, why not put in low compression piston and a set of better rods...There is several solutions available.

Joseph Dell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
eagle rods are fine. 10x stronger than stock and ~650 for a set. get the H-beam with the ARP bolts. OR spend 2x that for oliver rods.

But i'm telling you... i've seen hydralock on SMALLER water jets on vipers.

JD

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Someone want to explain why that engine wouldn't vibrate. I cannot believe that the damage would not manifest itself in some sort of vibration, in affect you have 10 different rod lengths.

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Find out why you bent the rods first? I agree with Jacks comment above as well as the hydralok. Get stronger rods if you must, next time you'll just spit the crank out. Water/**** is a poor band-aid for a proper intercooler. It's come and gone over the years for the same reasons.

Joseph Dell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Order the PROPER set of pistons... don't just order off-the-shelf. Roe's Diamond pistons are _ok_ at best. and you have to be aware of overall weight of everything. your rods + pistons either a) have to weigh the same as stock OR you need to pull the whole assembly (including crank) to have it balanced. else you'll get noise.

Ordering 2k rods to go with cheap pistons ain't the best thing you've proposed so far. get some CP or JE pistons. since you have a SC, get a slight dish. ROE only sells diamond flat-top. avoid.

JD

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960