All Supercharged Owners w/ dipstick seepage problems (problem fixed)

Built 2 Go

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just recently had my 93 R/T Supercharged by Paxton Engineering. My R/T was their 1st prototype for a Gen I. I recently smelt oil burning after a hard run. I noticed the oil was seeping out the dipstick tube. I hunted the Viper site archives for past similar problems and found some good information...put on a 0-ring from NAPA on the inside handle of the dipstick, purchase the updated dipstick tube and dipstick from Dodge or purchase a heavy metal/chrome handle from various Viper vendors. I elected to order the new improved dipstick tube and dipstick from Dodge. It was going to take 6 days since it came from Michigan and costs $63 dollars.

After I picked the package I noticed some instructions in the package. Believe this or not, these are the instructions for the K6853353 oil level indicator & tube package: "It is to note that the amount of oil required for this engine when using this package has been changed." "The correct amount of oil to be added at REGULAR oil change is nine quarts when used with this oil level indicator and tube package." "If an eleven quart fill is done while using this indicator and tube in this package, it will show an overfill by two quarts. This will not harm the engine but may cause confusion." "THE CORRECT OIL FILL WHEN USING THIS PACKAGE IS NINE QUARTS" "*Add an additional (1/2 quart)of oil if also draining the oil cooler."

Well, I have owned this Viper since 94 and have always used 10 quarts as directed by Dodge, Viper manual and others. Something was wrong with this updated message from Dodge. I then looked at the dipstick and tube. The new dipstick was over a half inch longer then the stock dipstick. The tube also had no wielded bracket at the top of the tube to secure to the stock female type hold down bracket. I immediately said this is bull.... I returned the tube package to Dodge without paying for their normal 25% restocking fee.

The Hunt: After going to several parts stores, I found the perfect fitting dipstick. The unit is made by Spectre Billet, part #57235, made for a Ford S.B. Windsor. The dipstick is the "exact same length" as the stock Viper dipstick, very heavy duty and comes with a very nice looking small round chrome/aluminum top (heavy) with 2 black strips. Inside the chrome/aluminum handle is an O-ring. The dipstick is just Outstanding in both fit (very very snug) and seals to the tube perfectly...fits and looks 100 times better then stock. The cost for the Spectre unit $11.50 at Kragen Auto, with chrome tube and bracket. The chrome tube will not fit but the dipstick is again...Perfect. I have run the Viper very hard and have had no seepage or leaks period. I'm not sure if the Spectre dipstick will be the proper length for a Gen II, but my guess is yes. If not, check out the complete Spectre series of dipsticks.

I hope this posting helps others with a similar seepage problem. I love my New Surcharged Viper...Nitrous 100% of the time.

Built 2 Go
528 rwhp
558 rw torque
(Love that feeling)

FE 065

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not to ignore all your hard work, but it seems you've plugged hole, but not solved the problem, no?

Supercharger induced blowby past the rings is pressurizing the crankcase and shoving the dipstick out.

Connect a catch tank to your empty dipstick tube with some hose, and let that crankcase breath.

ROCKET62

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
As a follow-up to FE 065 post - does the supercharger set-up include a connection for the PCV valve and the Vent tube from the drivers side valve cover? Just wondering as these would also change the crankcase vent system.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
webironmongery