Almost killed myself today

Mike_W

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Really makes me angry that I am such a horrible driver.

I was entering the onramp to the freeway. No one in front of me, although the freeway itself is crowded.

I step on it. Slam it into second gear and step on it. I don't know how fast I am going, but I am ready to merge with oncoming traffic and I need to shift into third because it sounds like I am about to redline.

So I try to throw it into third, and I throw it into first. For a split second I take my foot off the clutch... fully off... my back tires squeal like I just locked up the brakes and my rear end goes squirrly. Instantly, the gearshift jumps in my hand violently, and something BANGS really loud. Sounds like a metal pipe was slammed against another metal pipe. I don't know what the sound was. I pushed the clutch back in, had a minor heart attack and was once again angry at myself and this car.

I think I have to had broken something because of that incredibly loud bang, but everything seems to be working fine. I am sure I at least weakened something that will eventually fail as a result of this.

I learned my lesson, and I didn't post this to let everyone know how stupid I am... I posted it so you might not make the same mistake. I have never, ever done that in a different car before.

I actually am not sure if it was 2nd to 1st, but I think it was. It might have been 3rd to 2nd, but I don't think I would have been able to redline 3rd on the onramp. Maybe I was able to. I wasn't paying attention as I didn't think this would happen.

Mike

VIPR GTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
***** big time when we mess up our cars from being unattentive, I think we have all done it, and I know we have all missed shifts with these transmissions, at least you and I have.
Just check it out but I doubt that it is broke.

OP
OP
M

Mike_W

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah, I crashed it into the curb the other day too at Circuit City. Wasn't the curb, it was one of those concrete blocks. They installed blocks that are illegally high as far as I am concerned. They should at least have signage up that lets the driver know that the blocks are higher than standard blocks, and although they may only be 1/2 an inch higher than a standard block, they may still cause damage. That darn block... has a nice splash of red all over it. That made me mad too. What was worse, was my wife was in the car. She gave me that look. Made me angry. I am getting angry thinking about that look and that block.

Mike

PRVT JET

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Its not the shifter, I have had 2 vipers with stock shifters and never had that happen. I had a friend do that from 3rd to 2nd, his ending was alot worst than yours. At 70-80 mph, it should be very hard to get into 1st. Just practice and always aim a little away from 1st, worst case you go into 5th.

ViperJoe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah, I crashed it into the curb the other day too at Circuit City. Wasn't the curb, it was one of those concrete blocks.

Mike

OUCH!
Dude.....get a POS ****** to drive!

OP
OP
M

Mike_W

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Even if I did sell it (which I don't plan to... I love the looks and plan to keep it forever- but we all know plans do change), I would have a mechanic check it out completely and I would either fix or disclose anything that could be wrong with it and the price would be adjusted accordingly. I don't lie to people, and I don't cheat people. I would rather keep my integrity for my own personal satisfaction, than make a buck.

Mike

CROM

Viper Owner
Reaction score
After only having this car for a few weeks I've made this 3rd to 2nd shifting blunder a couple of times. Thankfully I was going pretty slow and didnt take the tach past 4500 or so when I shifted back to 2nd. It almost seems that the gate isn't exactly straight back. Sometimes its seems like I almost have to pull back and to the right to get it into 4th. Now I find myself paying close attention each time I shift. I've also thrown it into 1st from second, but again at low RPM's. I think it's just user error

Need more practice, only driven the car 200 miles since I bought it end of February. Damned RAIN!!!

BTW - Will a shifter from a 2000+ (the one with the shiny shaft and round black knob) fit in my 98? Woah, that didn't sound right at all.....

Bad_Byte

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I always rotate my palm away from me when shifting from second to third and third to fourth, fourth to fifth and fifth to sixth also.

I remember Skip T. talking about his ride with Tommy Archer (I believe) and watched as he did the same thing. The reason for it is due to the position of the shifter being up so high you're less likely to pull the shifter toward you with your palm facing out. It takes a little getting used to but it works.

Suprised no one else has jumped on this bit of advice.

GTS Bruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Take your time.Shift a little slower.Ease the clutch out.You can feel if its the wrong gear and put it back out.Why wind it out?Even at a track?Sure wind it out once in a while to clear it out,but other than that use the torque.No need to beat the motor to death.Shift around 4000 or so.Last year on a track in my basicaly stock car mostly I shifted at 4000 or maybe somewhat more.On the straights there was no one that could stay with the car wether it be 308's,355,various porsche lotus etc.Yes some had better brakes,and some were more nimble. Bruce

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
3rd to 4th shift. Been there done that. More times than I care to admit. Now I live by Chucks words.

Dame these engines are strong.

2000 GTS Steel Grey
6 piston Baer claws up front, Front brakes in back, Quaife differential, GKH half shafts,
Alloy fly wheel, Short throw shifter, Polished aluminum intakes, K&N air filters,
Optima battery, Sterling silver ignition key, ACR 5 point harnesses.

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
Exactly!!!! Listen to this advice!!!! When you turn your palm away from you, it helps your arm just naturally put the shift lever in the proper angle..Try it, it works!

I always rotate my palm away from me when shifting from second to third and third to fourth, fourth to fifth and fifth to sixth also.

I remember Skip T. talking about his ride with Tommy Archer (I believe) and watched as he did the same thing. The reason for it is due to the position of the shifter being up so high you're less likely to pull the shifter toward you with your palm facing out. It takes a little getting used to but it works.

Suprised no one else has jumped on this bit of advice.

ROCKET62

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
The shifter in the Viper has to be the weak link as you are definitely not alone. I've posted a few times trying to get feedback on the B&M Ripper, Woodhouse Modded, SVS, or other shifters and didn't receive a lot of comments one way or the other.

Many people have had this problem and you'd think that we could come up with a solution. If you have to think about palming the shifter to get it to shift - there should be a better solution.

Gerald

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How come ALMOST every story about a wreck or near wreck or major screw up is from a entrance ramp onto a freewar or similar road..!

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I cannot determine the year of your Viper

THE YEAR MATTERS

How can we help if we dont know what you are driving and what mods you have?

The NOISE can actually be unique to an RT/10. Is in an RT-10?

Is it a pre-2000 RT-10? There were some other tranny issues pre-2000.

You can call if you like......and remember to add your Viper info to your signature to make it easier to help you.

1) DRIVING SCHOOL
2) No B+M 92-99; Choose SVS instead 99+
3) shorter, heavy knob, especially 1999 - 2004
4) Fluid change pre 1998
5) others TBA ... call

BE SAFE OUT THERE : banging curbs one week, exit ramps the next.....

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
How come ALMOST every story about a wreck or near wreck or major screw up is from a entrance ramp onto a freewar or similar road..!

Very very true. Good observation.

My first solo Viper drive included my 1st Freway onramp in 1993. Memorial Day weekend. One week later I was enrolled in Pro-Drive, DESPITE a past racing license. Why?

1) Massive Torque
2) Ramps seldom straight, usually curved.
3) Usually slow and dirty surface, no traffic to sweep it clean.
4) You don't look far enough ahead.
5) You shift when the car is still cornering / unsettled.
6) Tires are cool before hiway runs.

sbkim

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mike - glad to hear you made out unscathed. I had nearly the same experience you had (without the bang) and so far no problems. No flames but I learned how to drive a manual on my Viper less than a year ago. So perhaps it was not a good idea for me to drive aggressively until I have the shifting down...

OP
OP
M

Mike_W

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks to all you that gave me good wishes. I really expected to hear you tell me how I was unworthy of driving a Viper. At the same time, I figured some other schmuck out there was like me, relatively new... and would make the same mistake. I would have actually posted more on how I almost died, but it would have shown too much irresponsibilty on my part, so I chose not too. Lets just say, I panicked and that made matters worse. Had this not have happened, it would have been a smooth merging transition.

I added my car to my signature. If you know what that big old bang was Jon, please do tell. I think it came from the gear box, but I really wasn't expecting it, so I wasn't listening for it. But it was not kind of loud. It was LOUD like you just banged two metal pipes right above the shifter. No... it was louder than a person could have banged pipes. It sounded like a piece of metal hit one another and snapped... but nothing seems to have snapped and the car seems to be running fine.

Mike

Snakester

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'd also guess that it may be a broken tranny mount (not too expensive or difficult to replace).

I was warned online not to floor it in a corner as a new Viper driver, and I stuck to that. So no incedents in corners for me.

But I did have issues early on downshifting from 6th to 4th (hitting 2nd once) And 4th to 3rd (hitting 1st), and downshifting at speed without revving the engine (and having the car get scarily unsettled). :eek:

Luckily, I was able to catch my mistakes by putting the clutch back in right away. But each incedent was a lesson for me to be mindful manhandling the Viper, and I think surviving those mistakes made me a smoother driver over time.

I wouldn't beat yourself up too badly on this Mike.
You learned clearly how NOT to drive the Viper and happily lived to tell the tale.

-Dean.

JoeD

Viper Owner
Reaction score
...I really expected to hear you tell me how I was unworthy of driving a Viper. At the same time, I figured some other schmuck out there was like me, relatively new... and would make the same mistake...
Mike

My first PUSH on the car blew past 120 quickly - REAL quickly. It absolutely stunned me how responsive it was! I deliberately downshifted to slow (but neglected to brake and match RPM). Don't even ?think? I missed a gear but expected the V-10 to rev-up and slow me appropriately. :eek: NOPE - it stayed right where I PUT IT; rear jumped/skipped hard and eventually settled. That was an extremely frightening and humbling moment! If I wasn't dead straight woulda likely been DEAD.

I am totally novice to performance driving but assume that the torque factor works both ways (powerup and down). BTW, I'm doin my first driving school next month - really wanna bridle this car.....LOVE IT! :headbang:

CallMeStupid2...JoeD