Alternator, something else???

Twans97

Enthusiast
Reaction score
All:

I have an issue with the 97 GTS and had to flat bed it home last night. The last month i have been having issues with the car when I brake or downshift, i lose power and it will sometimes die. I only drive the car every 2 weeks or so and just got a tender but havent used it yet. historically, i would throw a charge on it and it would start up. Yesterday, i drove it and it struggled to start, shut it down and started back up 45 minutes later after lunch and zero! i tried jumping it, then towed it home and threw a 12 hour charge on it and nothing bump ticking. The only gauge working is battery and says its 14. Weird thing is that when I take it off the charge, i can unlock doors or get anything. throw the charger back on (even for 2 seconds) and I can open. Could this be alternator or something worse????

Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks

TG:dunno:

OP
OP
T

Twans97

Enthusiast
Reaction score
battery is 4 months old and only has 2K miles on it. I had the battery charger on it at 10 amps for 14 hrs and when i take it off you cant even access the car unless you put charger back on?

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
You need to have the battery properly/fully tested (there are such things as bad new batteries) ...along with the connectors, cables...then possibly the alternator.

OP
OP
T

Twans97

Enthusiast
Reaction score
any suggestions on how to do that? Should I pull the tire and check connections, anything else?

EZ 2B Green

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Check for a loose connection of the main ground cable and/or the positive cable connection at the starter/solenoid.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
06Quad