Aluminum flywheel upgrade-good idea?

Bullsnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good afternoon everyone!
I'm going to take my '04 over to Woodhouse and drop it off tomorrow to have them do the exhaust and a few other things. I am seriously considering doing the lightened flywheel option they have-it's supposed to be better throttle response and quicker revving. I was just wanting to hear from those of you out there that have done this and see how it effects it's day to day drivability. My wife drives the car often and has been driving manual type vehicles for years, and she has no problems driving the car in it's stock form (she LOVES the car!). I just don't want to do anything that will make the driving experience any worse for her. Is the car MUCH more prone to stalls from a dead start, or it just a matter of getting into it a little more at launch? We will probably go to a few track events with it, but I will be in the hunt for a GTS after the first of the year, and that will be my main track vehicle. If anyone could please chime in on the flywheel that would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!!

dun4791

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Good afternoon everyone!
I'm going to take my '04 over to Woodhouse and drop it off tomorrow to have them do the exhaust and a few other things. I am seriously considering doing the lightened flywheel option they have-it's supposed to be better throttle response and quicker revving. I was just wanting to hear from those of you out there that have done this and see how it effects it's day to day drivability. My wife drives the car often and has been driving manual type vehicles for years, and she has no problems driving the car in it's stock form (she LOVES the car!). I just don't want to do anything that will make the driving experience any worse for her. Is the car MUCH more prone to stalls from a dead start, or it just a matter of getting into it a little more at launch? We will probably go to a few track events with it, but I will be in the hunt for a GTS after the first of the year, and that will be my main track vehicle. If anyone could please chime in on the flywheel that would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!!

Drivability will be the same, and cutting weight off the rotational assembly is a good thing, but the cost doesnt justify the expense for a street car in my opinion. Put that money towards the GTS.

Vipermann

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I had the Mopar CC flywheel -- noticed a 'slight' improvement ... I'd spend the money on rear gears first -- bigger driving difference there

RedEnuf93

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Depending on the flywheel drivability WILL NOT be the same. I have a 17lbs chromemoly one piece flywheel, compared to the stock 27lbs, it like a night and day.

Expect jerking at lower RPM's, feathering clutch with higher RPM will be a daily routine to take off, life expextancy of the clutch will not be same, etc.

It WILL be a blast to drive! If your intensions are to drive it a lot in city and "cruising" around, dont do it. I love mine, but unless you are willing to pay a loss in everyday cruising drivability and swap it towards better rewing motor... :dunno:

Steve 00RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Viper is probably the easiest manual car I have ever driven. You pretty much can't stall it. All vipers are a little jerky in first gear sometimes-- regardless of flywheel. I thought the stock flywheel was 43 pounds? I have had the Fidanza flywheel (not sure the weight) for over 40,000 miles with the same clutch. Absolutely no driveability issues whatsoever. No feathering of clutch or higher RPM to start. I can let the clutch out from idle with no gas and not stall. I am completely satisfied with this mod. Much quicker revving -- faster stopping.

Steve

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Interesting thread. This has been talked about alot. Check the archives for more info.

I have three Vipers, two with stock flywheels and one with a lighter flywheel (my track GTS). I drive all three of them, usually at least once a week.

Driveability will not be the same with a lighter flywheel. You will have to add throttle to get the car moving especially starting up hill and it's likely that your wife won't like it - mine doesn't.

I would not spend money on a light flywheel for a street car as there are better options avaialble. Get the GTS and make it a track car as RedEnuff93 says.

Dan

eagles

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My experience with aluminum flywheels has been satisfying in both my GTS and SRT with the quicker revving sounding so sweet I would not go back. Sure I sometimes have to tease the the throttle and/or clutch but I had to do that with the stock setup as well.

\I also have a liteweight flywheel in my tt 300zx with lite mods and that is truley a pain to launch whether on the street at the stop lite or more agressive launch. My experience only.

eagles

SnakeEye

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have a Fidenza aluminum flywheel and like the better throttle response and quicker revs it provides. I think if you are sticking with the stock miser 3.07 gears you will most likely notice some minor slow speed drivability grievances that the stock heavyweight flywheel helps to mask. I'd still probably go for it but better yet while in the shop put in 3.33's or 3.55's too. The gears and a lightweight flywheel are some of the best bang for the buck mods and in combo really do wake up the snake. Good luck.

Last edited:

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Depending on the flywheel drivability WILL NOT be the same. I have a 17lbs chromemoly one piece flywheel, compared to the stock 27lbs, it like a night and day.

Expect jerking at lower RPM's, feathering clutch with higher RPM will be a daily routine to take off, life expextancy of the clutch will not be same, etc.

It WILL be a blast to drive! If your intensions are to drive it a lot in city and "cruising" around, dont do it. I love mine, but unless you are willing to pay a loss in everyday cruising drivability and swap it towards better rewing motor... :dunno:

That was my experience with my GTS. I went back to stock months later.
Wouldn't do it again.

OP
OP
B

Bullsnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for ALL of the responses! I think I will leave the stock flywheel in it for now, and I'm gonna head over to Woodhouse tomorrow and look at a 2001 GTS that Bill has-looks like it may be a good place to start for a track car!

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Viper is probably the easiest manual car I have ever driven. You pretty much can't stall it. All vipers are a little jerky in first gear sometimes-- regardless of flywheel. I thought the stock flywheel was 43 pounds? I have had the Fidanza flywheel (not sure the weight) for over 40,000 miles with the same clutch. Absolutely no driveability issues whatsoever. No feathering of clutch or higher RPM to start. I can let the clutch out from idle with no gas and not stall. I am completely satisfied with this mod. Much quicker revving -- faster stopping.

Steve

Steve did you ever have the light flywheel and the stock rear axle ratio? The lower gears would normally improve launch smoothness, etc. A light flywheel sounds like a good mod if you are already removing the trans or replacing the clutch. I am wondering how affordable the new 2008 clutch setup will be and if it will retrofit to previous years without excessive modification or expense.

Reaction score
I do believe there is a night and day difference and would NEVER go back to the stock flywheel unless you drive like grandpa Bill P. ;-) For the money I think it is great mod that rewards you each time you get on the gas. BUT that is just my opinion.

Steve 00RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Steve did you ever have the light flywheel and the stock rear axle ratio? The lower gears would normally improve launch smoothness, etc. A light flywheel sounds like a good mod if you are already removing the trans or replacing the clutch. I am wondering how affordable the new 2008 clutch setup will be and if it will retrofit to previous years without excessive modification or expense.

I had the stock gears for the first 10,000 miles. I can't fathom anyone having drivability issues with an engine possessing 490 pounds of stock torque. It's darn near impossible to stall a Viper engine -- unless you don't have a lot of clutch time. I could start off in 3rd gear without a lot of extra gas. With 3:45s, a 4th gear start is not very difficult. I tried both these starts for an experiment after reading comments like those above. My wife had no problems before the flywheel and no problems after it was installed. I think it was money well spent. Throttle response is immediate.

Steve

Kala

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have the DC Performance Lightweight flywheel, on my Gen III... I like the response, its not hard to drive at all...

Greg-TT

Viper Owner
Reaction score
You should definitely do it. But do it with the rear gear swap. Fidanza alum. flywheel w/ 3.55 rear gear set up did made a BIG difference in a positive way. I dont track the car, just a daily driver. No driveability issue what so ever and it feels awesome.

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
See Mark has to go with the aluminum flywheel ,as he has kind of a rather large bee-hind , whereas I, have alot less rotational mass..............so I get by with a stock flywheel!

Please don't call Mark J.................J -Lo, as he is a bit sensitive.

Seriously, best wishes to Mark Jorgensen at the Solo II Nationals and the SCCA Pro Solo Competition in Topeka this weekend and next week. Do us proud , here at Woodhouse , big guy!

Willie Da P:drive:

Kala

Enthusiast
Reaction score
See Mark has to go with the aluminum flywheel ,as he has kind of a rather large bee-hind , whereas I, have alot less rotational mass..............so I get by with a stock flywheel!

Please don't call Mark J.................J -Lo, as he is a bit sensitive.

Seriously, best wishes to Mark Jorgensen at the Solo II Nationals and the SCCA Pro Solo Competition in Topeka this weekend and next week. Do us proud , here at Woodhouse , big guy!

Willie Da P:drive:

You Nebraska Boys, Play Hard Ball :poke:

Mark = J-Lo ... :outtahere:

:needpics:

EXHLR8N

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Big difference if tracking it in downshifting, heel-toe, etc. Much smoother, easier to rev and find 3rd.
I would recommend.

viperbilliam

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"I would go with a Quailfe Rearend 3:33 and go straight for a change." :confused: Canyon707, are you just getting out of jail or prison?

Dave Moore

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
I have to 2nd the DC performance flywheel. It is designed after the Comp Coupe flywheel. It is lighter than stock, not as light as the aluminum. It should last longer than the aluminun as well. I did the flywheel with a Spec 3 clutch and it is excellent.
Dave