aluminum flywheels for drag racing

varanus

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know that lightened flywheels have been regarded as a plus for road racing, but how is it for drag racing? Some have said that the heavier mass made for better torque and launching. I thought that since the the viper had so much torque that this would not be an issue and that the lighter flywheel with its lower mass and inertia might rev up quicker.
Any thoughts?
Plus how is it to idle along in first ( like at parking lots). Will it stall??

LTHL VPR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It does take a little getting used to, but we have had no problems with the flywheels and we are making over 750hp and 840 tq.We recently inspected the flywheel and our dual kevlar clutch after some 1/4 mile trips and burnouts and found no abnormal whatsoever. Looked new.
We have some in stock if decide you need one. Our prices seem to be lower than others that our listed. For more info, call us at 408.562.1000.
I like 'em and it seems our customers are happy as well.
-Wayne

S

SUN RA KAT

It revs UP quicker and DOWN quicker. I spend a lot of time with my left leg stretched out pressing the clutch to the floor and just coasting. I accellerate up to about 5 MPH over the speed limit when I do this. I'm going to have to document the gas savings a Viper gets by just coasting and then ask for my $3,000 gas guzzler tax back. When it's time to re-engage the clutch very little gas is needed to get back up to the correct RPM of the gear I'm going to be in. Ease the clutch to full engagement and take it easy with the snake pedal and accellerate smoothly.

If I'm real easy in engaging the clutch I can go forward in first gear up a slight incline on my driveway at idle. Reverse in idle has always been with the clutch partially slipping since I go backwards for only very short distances. I haven't tried cruising at idle in first in parking lots yet, though.

Bear in mind after 35+ years of driving this is my first manual shift car and I'm still learning how to be the expert people expect the driver of a Viper to be. This is also my first Viper. Also bear in mind that I have some "neccessary" mods - smooth tubes with S&B filters, Belanger Headers, Random Tech Ultra High Flow Cats, and a Corsa 3" Cat Back with 4" Tips which probably gives me different power over stock Vipers at the extreme low end.

pauls

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Depends?
Stock or Modified
I can speak for basically stock//bolt ons
Street tires it helps. I run ET Streets and it hurts, bogs motor on launch. Went back to stock wheel on my last clutch change.

jp

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Been there, done that...changed back to original flywheel, works better on the dragstrip. I feels like the torque and the heavy flywheel works better together with the manually shifted gearbox.

MES

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have an aluminum flywheel and using stock tires the AL flywheel did not effect the 1/4 at all. I would bet with slicks the stock flywheel would give a better launch, but I don't know. The AL flywheel is much more pleasant to drive around town, there is not as much jerking when rev matching or shifting.

TOOOFST

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Quicker revs is worth it for me,sounds better.Reving the motor for show with the stock flywheel SOUNDS stupid.I also wish I could quick change back for drag racing with slicks.

OP
OP
V

varanus

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So am i correct is assuming that the general belief is for street and strip with street tires, aluminum works well but for strip with slicks, stay stock cause i'll need the inertia to keep from bogging?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
potterb4