Am I deaf? 1000 watt Stereo in my RT...but

gen2lover

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had the system installed in June 2007 right after I bought the car from a guy in Ontario.

It still does not sound that loud to me..Am I going deaf? Seriously...I have a stock exhaust and only tubes/filter upgrades. Top on or off- I find it not that loud.I have a Kenwood Amp,Speakers,etc...:dunno:

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had the system installed in June 2007 right after I bought the car from a guy in Ontario.

It still does not sound that loud to me..Am I going deaf? Seriously...I have a stock exhaust and only tubes/filter upgrades. Top on or off- I find it not that loud.I have a Kenwood Amp,Speakers,etc...:dunno:

Yes. You are deaf. Proceed to the nearest car audio store and spend more money.

Your goal should be your age times your car's horsepower in amplifier watts.

Example: You are 30 years old and your car has 450 hp. You need 13,000 watts to be cool. Notice how it goes up as you get older or you mod your engine?

Great formula, huh?

GTSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wattage has only slight impact on SPL. I can blow your ears with a 10watt system. If the speakers and/or amp are inefficient than most of that power turns into heat not SPL. Yes, you do need a lot of power for high SPL but you can very easily satisfy your needs with a good amp. My JL Audio amp only has 500 watts for 5 channels but I can shake my garage with the car windows closed.

Don't buy audio equipement based on power levels. That's just is a marketing tool.

GTS Bruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Stereo,radio,amp,speakers,a rolling boom box for the hood?Not my cup of java.Think twisty ,hilly,country road and the sounds of engine,transmission,exhaust correctly played.Now that is music.Does your car bounce up and down too?Could have spent the money on a little more power,brake,handling tire.....To each his own. BTW I don't get "racing" on the street or for 1/4 mile either in a car that can't stop or go around corners. GTS Bruce

emo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Stereo,radio,amp,speakers,a rolling boom box for the hood?Not my cup of java.Think twisty ,hilly,country road and the sounds of engine,transmission,exhaust correctly played.Now that is music.Does your car bounce up and down too?Could have spent the money on a little more power,brake,handling tire.....To each his own. BTW I don't get "racing" on the street or for 1/4 mile either in a car that can't stop or go around corners. GTS Bruce

:rolleyes:

Evil Snake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The RT10s have a horribe audio disign for imaging. The sub should be reversed. the tweets are in the right position, but the mids should be facing more to the center of the car instead of straight at the transmission tunnel.

A custom install is required to fix the problem or one hell of a hearing aid.

smcosta90

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Don't forget the fuzzy dice, man. (In my best Cheech impression) :hippy:

But seriously, stock system is fine by me.

You don't need a nice system to impress women, the car vibrates enough as is.:devgrin:

Last edited:

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score

curmudgeon
1archaic : miser2: a crusty, ill-tempered, and usually old man

VIPER650R

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Sorry to tell you. Kenwood amps are not rated what they say. It's probably close to half if that. So your 1000 watts is actually 500 watts. A good frame of mind for amp purchase for true wattage is a $1.00 for every watt. So, a 1000 watt amp should cost $1000.00. So figure what you paid for the amp is what the actual wattage u have. J/L audio is the true to there wattage.

georgethedog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wattage has only slight impact on SPL. I can blow your ears with a 10watt system. If the speakers and/or amp are inefficient than most of that power turns into heat not SPL. Yes, you do need a lot of power for high SPL but you can very easily satisfy your needs with a good amp. My JL Audio amp only has 500 watts for 5 channels but I can shake my garage with the car windows closed.

Don't buy audio equipement based on power levels. That's just is a marketing tool.
GTSnake, you are the man. I am an amature "audiophile" with home audio and the easiest way to say it is "watts don't mean crap"! Go to a good "high-end" speicaialty audio store (normally locally owned) and find some quality watts! I have several Denon home systems and one that is only rated 60 watts that would blow my windows out without distortion if I could stay in the room long enough! Yes, watts is only a marketing gimmick. :)

georgethedog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Also, even if you have a good system (soundstream amp for example with Canton speakers) it might take several hours of adjusting the amp settigs (Hi and low pass) and frequency repsonse to get it to sound right. You may only need to go to someone who really knows how to set the amp to run the system you bought the right way. Again, go to a local specialty store as the "box" stores don't know crap about how to get the most out of what they sell. My brother bought a car with this high watt system that sounded like crap. I adjusted the frequency repsonses, etc. (spent about an hour or so) and it sounded like a new system. Good luck.

Freddog11

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I like having a nice stereo to listen to when taking a nice cruise somewhere or out for a drive with the wife, however, I agree 100% on the street drags. What's the point? Take it to the track if you feel you have something to prove. If you have the money to spend on a high performance car then you should have it to spend on a track day. I went round and round about this with a lot of the guys I ride motorcycles with. It took a while, but most of them are track junkies now. The downside is its harder to get guys to go on a ride with anymore. They all have track only bikes now.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
RT/10s are not a very good car for quality stereos. The biggest reason is because there is no way to use the trunk as a speaker.

Investing more than a few dollars in an RT/10 stereo is pretty much a waste.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ctrengine