An AMG Viper?

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
According to Autoweek "the company's chief operating officer is confirming plans for a performance group at Chrysler patterned after Mercedes' AMG unit.
Chrysler COO Wolfgang Bernhard said the new AMG-like group will tackle the Dodge Viper, Chrysler Prowler and other projects."

Woooohhhoooooo!

RobHook

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would hope John Hennessey is watching this. AMG used to be an independant just like his shop. Hennessey is certainly the best-known name in the Viper tuner category.

Have his business practices improved any?

--Rob

Steve Ferguson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It is already done. The new team is basically what was SVE, and originated as Team Viper. I know that John Fernandez, besides being in charge of Viper and Prowler, also gets to handle high performance editions of other models and also now is in charge of Mopar Performance Parts.

More details should follow soon, but this is what we have been told so far. I guess this all came about because Wolfgang was the former head of AMG?

RobHook

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What I was implying is that Hennessey would be the best choice to bring INTO DC to do the tuning. Just imagine what he could do with that huge budget!!

As an aside, John, do you have a nephew who races a T-Bird supercoupe?

--Rob

Reaction score
Wow Rob, you are really going out on a limb here. I hope Mark Lubin didn't see your post about John H.. He will probably go ballistic!
laugh.gif

Vipergtsbob

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
This is very interesting. I too read the Autoweek article and was intrigued by what was revealed in this info. This might be a little long winded but I have several random thoughts on this topic.
As most know, AMG was originally a separate tuner (although I understand Mercedes trained etc) who did such a good job at aftermarket add ons to MB production coupes and sedans that MB acquired them and integrated their methods and products into what is now literallythe entire Mercedes line.
As I am currentlly negotiating the acquisiton of an AMG S55, (which is the S Class 500 model with an upgraded engine, suspension, wheels and tires, aero body parts,interior upgrades and special badging) I like the idea of a super high performance daily driver which also offers incredible creature comforts. The cost is pretty significant but currantly is not that much more than the ACR option.
Hence, the DC paradox: If the ACR is already the "high performance" special edition (of course respecting all Vipers are high performance by design) what does the AMG/Viper edition add or offer?? Even more performance? Stainless steel cupholders and better floor mats? I would hazard a guess that it would be a package of engine mods and some neat logo addons. However, this now poses interesting production problems. As I understand the AMG production process, the subject "stock" MB vehicle is removed from the production line and shipped to the AMG works who redo the engine completely (various internal mods, blueprinting etc )as well as the suspension changes etc. The car is then shipped back to Mercedes and then put into their order/delivery system.
Query: Will the AMG/Viper start at CAAP and go somewhere to get the additional treatment? Unlikely, but who knows, under US methods, maybe they could give a corner of Caap to the AMG team. Far from being an expert on the car manufacturing industry, I cannot believe that governmet requirements regarding crash testing, emissions and fuel consumption would allow a customer to add huge amounts of horsepower by simply checking off an option sheet, especially when our favorite cars have such a prodigious amount of power already. I guess they could add an engine option that would have an increase in performance ( at AMG Levels that is) but I seem to recall that Dodge did not increse the ACR output in order to save the costs of resubmitting the engine for new certifications.
Pure speculation, but I would love to hear more from Steve Ferguson, Jon B. Joe Houss or whomever might have some informed thoughts on how the AMG team/version might be effectuated.

PS I'll go on record now that I will get in line to order a 700 HP AMG Viper that is LeMans ready with upgraded interior, Bose Beta stereo, DVD, multiple cupholders and a color coordinated California Brush and Ice Scraper, Parktronic and power washer for my rear license plate all for an additonal 10K!!! It still is cheaper than buying a GTSR from Oreca.
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif

Tom and Vipers

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Actually, this may be overdue..... I walked into a Ford dealer (Why? I know, I know) and there were all these Rousch Mustangs all over the place!

...and I think they were getting something like $58k for the supercharged one....

Jay Herbert

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The beauty of SVE getting to do this sort of thing is the improvements they make and sell will come with a factory warranty. John Fernandez also is taking charge of Mopar Performance, so look for a lot more from that group as well.

Most would not ever have called AMG a "tuner". AMG is a firm with a full engineering staff capable of building and designing a complete automobile. They have a full engineering staff supported with technicians and machinists. AMG also worked tightly with Mercedes own engineering group so that the production Mercedes would benefit. They were much more like Lotus, and I don't think anyone here would call Lotus a "tuner".
The closest thing the Viper world has to AMG at this time is Lingenfelter, Callaway does a little Viper work, and they also have a fully integrated company with engineers, technicians, and machinists...... as well as full sales and marketing groups.

TNT is pretty integrated, as they do their own design and machine work, but they do not have any engineers on staff.

I may be a little biased as I am a graduate mechanical engineer
smile.gif