And now, the ultimate nanny

VicTxV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah, how's that old saying go..."give up a little freedom in the name of security"

Next will be mandated retro fit for cars built prior to 2015. No black box, no state inspection.

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow. Just Wow. Unlike traffic cameras and tollway RFID passes (that only monitor you once in a while....when you enter their field) THIS doo-dad will monitor you 24/7. Total BS.

MikeG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Have to wait and see, but at present, I don't think it is going to be the issue perceived. They already exist and are in quite a few cars. The data that they capture can only be accessed and downloaded by the car manufacturer. Also, there will be an immediate challenge if and when passed, pertaining to whom the box belongs. This issue has been to court before and the car manufacturers have in the past, always won. Its their box, despite the fact you, the owner, purchased the car. Access also requires equipment and software only available to the manufacturer. The car manufacturers have been and are reluctant to release the information unless there is a very dire need, such as resolution of a fatality accident, often times which involves the question of possible homicide. Additionally, the data accessed and released is restricted to just the information deemed necessary and warranted relevant resolution of the issue.

I don't see big brother at this specific time, checking our driving habits unless something pursuant to what is addressed above, occurs. And, accessing the data is very, very expensive. I know. I had it done in a fatal accident in Ohio one time, where a question of homicide was paramount to the investigation. The spouse that was a suspect, attempted to block access to the black box data by claiming since he owned the car, he owned the black box. The court ruled otherwise. It still required getting a search warrant, and GM would only release data specific to the issue that was being investigated.

But, I agree, given the direction the government is headed, there is cause to raise eyebrows. They are seeking, and are expected to get approval for flying spy drones over US cities in the very near future. So it is not unreasonable to envision the modern version of 1984 being right around the corner.

ferraritoviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Highly questionable Chuck, especially coupled with Congress passing this week of the "FAA Reauthorization Act", which permits Drone surveillance flights over America. Although reasons given for all may be valid, they don't take into consideration errors and abuse...which are inevitable

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
....ah as soon as you're detected as speeding, a drone sends a missile your way. Outstanding...2016's gonna be great :lmao:

gb66gth

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Oh, electronic monitoring.
When you said "ultimate nanny" I pictured a Swedish college girl with big boobs, and short shorts, babysitting my kids.
Never mind. Sorry for the confusion. I thought , who could be against that?! ;)

propsail

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Have to wait and see, but at present, I don't think it is going to be the issue perceived. They already exist and are in quite a few cars. The data that they capture can only be accessed and downloaded by the car manufacturer. Also, there will be an immediate challenge if and when passed, pertaining to whom the box belongs. This issue has been to court before and the car manufacturers have in the past, always won. Its their box, despite the fact you, the owner, purchased the car. Access also requires equipment and software only available to the manufacturer. The car manufacturers have been and are reluctant to release the information unless there is a very dire need, such as resolution of a fatality accident, often times which involves the question of possible homicide. Additionally, the data accessed and released is restricted to just the information deemed necessary and warranted relevant resolution of the issue.

I don't see big brother at this specific time, checking our driving habits unless something pursuant to what is addressed above, occurs. And, accessing the data is very, very expensive. I know. I had it done in a fatal accident in Ohio one time, where a question of homicide was paramount to the investigation. The spouse that was a suspect, attempted to block access to the black box data by claiming since he owned the car, he owned the black box. The court ruled otherwise. It still required getting a search warrant, and GM would only release data specific to the issue that was being investigated.

But, I agree, given the direction the government is headed, there is cause to raise eyebrows. They are seeking, and are expected to get approval for flying spy drones over US cities in the very near future. So it is not unreasonable to envision the modern version of 1984 being right around the corner.

Not quite accurate. The data can be downloaded by anyone with the equipment, which is commercially available (but expensive). More and more police departments, private investigators, and private accident reconstructionists have them. Either owner permission or a search warrant is necessary for a download, but Manufacturer permission is NOT required. Also, the warrant typically gives permission for a complete download of all available data. There is no way to download specific pieces of information.

Lastly, at least for now, the data continually overwrites unless an incident occurs that locks the last moments of the event(usually up to 5 seconds).
-Craig

propsail

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I hate to engage in political discussions, but these have been in cars a lot longer than Obama has been in office---At least since the second generation airbags have been installed. In fact, it was during the Bush administration that the ruling came out that the data should be readable in plain english starting 2013, rather than in engineer-speak.
-Craig

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Car and Driver did an interesting piece on Progressive's "Snapshot" program. The essence of it is that it can actually promote bad driving since it only measures acceleration and deceleration. If you brake hard or wail on the go pedal, it gives you an "X", after so many "X"s your rate decrease is negated. This can actually cause drivers to run red lights (rather than brake hard to stop) and cruise through stop signs. I wonder how Progressive is doing with this rather stupid means of measuring "good driving"......

OP
OP
C

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not quite accurate. The data can be downloaded by anyone with the equipment, which is commercially available (but expensive). More and more police departments, private investigators, and private accident reconstructionists have them. Either owner permission or a search warrant is necessary for a download, but Manufacturer permission is NOT required. Also, the warrant typically gives permission for a complete download of all available data. There is no way to download specific pieces of information.

Lastly, at least for now, the data continually overwrites unless an incident occurs that locks the last moments of the event(usually up to 5 seconds).
-Craig

You said it.

DarcShadow

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I hate to engage in political discussions, but these have been in cars a lot longer than Obama has been in office---At least since the second generation airbags have been installed. In fact, it was during the Bush administration that the ruling came out that the data should be readable in plain english starting 2013, rather than in engineer-speak.
-Craig
They've actually been around longer then that. They started with ABS. Again though it only saves the last few seconds before an ABS event/crash. The GPS in cars tracks more harmful information about your driving than these "black boxes" will.

PatentLaw

Enthusiast
Reaction score
-Craig

Absolutely correct. People just do not understand that information was obtainable in the past as well. On some models, the information has been available for over a decade.

GTS Dean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Additionally, the data accessed and released is restricted to just the information deemed necessary and warranted relevant resolution of the issue.

Not so. When this data is downloaded, ALL of it comes out. The manufacturers provide the software to state troopers and large PDs. A court order is usually requried to extract the data.

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm surprised there isn't a healthy aftermarket in data-logging-defeating devices or software. If its not mandated that you have it, then disabling it or corrupting it shouldn't be illegal right?

DarcShadow

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I believe, in the case of ABS anyway, it's all ingergrated into the ABS control unit. You could probably defeat it but you'd have to open the control unit, which is enviormently sealed, and you'd have to know what on the circuit board to tamper with. For ABS, the reason they started keeping data was to protect themselves from law suits. In the early days people were always trying to sue the manufactures claiming the ABS didn't work, or was the cause of the wreck. Manufactures put this in so they could say, nope, the ABS activated at this time and you were doing XXXmph at the time. Cut down on the number of law suits pretty quickly.

Coloviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't need a fancy high tech device to defeat. Just have a small explosive wired to the trigger of airbag deploy and everytime the airbag deployes, it completely destroys the black box. There is no law stating you can't obliviate the damn thing whenever you want. It is only in an accident where fault is present that is of true concern in these cases. Most cars do not have GPS, so how can they prove your 150 mph blasts were not on a race track. They can't so why waste your time worrying about it! Now whoever implements this great idea, I only want 10% of the profits for such a great idea. Stupid government is out of control! Scary times ahead!

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Excellent idea. Maybe just a short or something that would cause a small smoldering....rather than an explosion:drive:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlamorte