Another Clear Bra Question. Cars With Stripes

HyperViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had some clear protection put on my car yesterday and I am really bothered by something.

Car is black with white stripes (see avatar) and the film Did Not lay down good next to the stripes. Pretty good ridge, where the stripes were painted at factory. The installer wants to come back, and score :eek: next to the stripes on the hood (1/3)and front bumper. I don't feel comfortable with him cutting directly on the painted surface.

He came highly recommended and has done lots of cars, but I think most didn't have stripes.

Anyone have experience with this?

CitySnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is typical. There's only so much you can do with raised stripes, i.e., if the surface is not precisely true, there's just no way to flex the material to compensate to the ever so slight bend. Without scoring the material, you will have to live with some "gaping".

I'm not so particular, so the very minor "gap" honestly does not bother me in the least. Up to you to have the installer score the material. If he's accomplished and takes his time, it can be done without any damage. But I guess there's some risk to be considered.

VIPER GTSR 91

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would NOT let him cut on the car but have him replace the film properly in sections. My guy did this and its perfect. Remember, YOUR the customer.

MTGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had mine redone yesterday. There is a little bubbling by the stripes but it just needs a little time to heat up and go away. Installer told me I could use a credit card if they stayed longer than a day. I would NEVER use a knife. I'll see if I can get a couple pics, car is out of the garage now getting some sun for the clearbra

OP
OP
H

HyperViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just talked to the installer and he assured me that he can score it without damage. He is going to demonstrate on his hand :eek:

CitySnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had mine redone yesterday. There is a little bubbling by the stripes but it just needs a little time to heat up and go away. Installer told me I could use a credit card if they stayed longer than a day. I would NEVER use a knife. I'll see if I can get a couple pics, car is out of the garage now getting some sun for the clearbra

Yep. Often installers will give it a second go with a blow dryer to make the material most flexible and some tool (CC works) to force the "bubble" out of the gap. You can get it 99%, but not completely perfect.

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i used ventureshield ultra on my o8 with stripes, kept at the stripes with my fingernails(very gently) and kept massagin the lines for about 2 to 3 days, they are now hugged right up to the stripe and you cannot see any gaps,been on there 2 years now

OP
OP
H

HyperViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i used ventureshield ultra on my o8 with stripes, kept at the stripes with my fingernails(very gently) and kept massagin the lines for about 2 to 3 days, they are now hugged right up to the stripe and you cannot see any gaps,been on there 2 years now

I did that to one area about an hour ago and it is still down nice. I called the installer back and left a message and asked if I should continue with this process.

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
it will lift back up,just keep doing this and it will finally stay down perfect,pull it in the sun if u can and baby sit it,keep at it,mine is 100 percent perfect,and i am very picky to call anything perfect

MTGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here's a couple before and after shots in 2 different spots.

Before:

After:

Just make sure to leave the car out in the sun for an hour or so. You don't have to put a lot of pressure on it @ all. Be gentle

texas_venom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is a very common issue with the 08 stripes. I have worked on numerous Vipers with this problem. There are only two things you can do. one you will have to wait for a couple of days for the water to dry out of the gap before the film can lay down. If there is water in there it will continue to lift. Once its dry take a heat gun or hair dryer, heat the film up, and press it into the groove. It should stay down fine. The second option is to score the film. Yes there will be cutting on the car but it will be in the groove of the stripes. If these were vinyl I would not reccomend having just anyone do it. If its done properly it will lay down fine without any cuts in the paint.

Last edited:

Mike 123

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In my opinion I would not allow them to cut on your car.:nono::nono: The installer should not have let the car leave if there was air or water under the film or it was not seated properly around the stripes. As long as no dirt or dust has gotten under the film you should be able to get it to stick down. Send me a PM with your phone number and I should be able to walk you through how to get the film to stick.

01ACR/VIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Who did yours????How much???:D

OP
OP
H

HyperViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Mine actually looks better than your before pics. Maybe I should just try a little more to get it to lay down :dunno:

goldcup

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Oh he can cut it on the car.Dont ask me how I know!!!! He would have to clearbra his ******** and cut it w/o blood before I let him near my car!

OP
OP
H

HyperViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looking better :) I parked it in the sun for a while and then worked the edges with a small rubber spatula (for frosting cupcakes). Seems to be laying down nicely. YAY! :headbang:

Thanks everybody, for all your comments and advice :2tu: