another GenIII bites the dust. :-(

TSR6

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just got news that a Gen III went off the track up in the kink and wacked the wall at Road America. It's totaled, but the driver is OK.

Blue with white stripes. Thats all I know as of right now...

G

Gotvenom 08

I know who he is.I was up there yesterday.3 vipers on course yesterday.I didn't track today because of cold and wet conditions.

Glad he is okay.

There was one mishap yesterday in turn 6/7.Apparently hit the rumble strips on outside(Corner 6) *** end got loose crossed track and hit inside wall.Apparently passenger didn't have helmet strapped on and it was laying on the track.Taken to hospital and driver was okay.

It is so important to take all the safety measures.The speeds are very real there.

I just got news that a Gen III went off the track up in the kink and wacked the wall at Road America. It's totaled, but the driver is OK.

Blue with white stripes. Thats all I know as of right now...

redlineviper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The kink can get ya. Must have tried to keep it nailed through it. Many have tried and failed. Sorry to hear of this mishap.

redlineviper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I know who he is.I was up there yesterday.3 vipers on course yesterday.I didn't track today because of cold and wet conditions.

Glad he is okay.

There was one mishap yesterday in turn 6/7.Apparently hit the rumble strips on outside(Corner 6) *** end got loose crossed track and hit inside wall.Apparently passenger didn't have helmet strapped on and it was laying on the track.Taken to hospital and driver was okay.

It is so important to take all the safety measures.The speeds are very real there.

Yea you can hit 150 easily 3 times every lap!

OP
OP
T

TSR6

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Edit - I just realized we're talking about two different wrecks.

I have a picture on my phone.

Most of the damage was to the Right Rear corner of the car, including the rear end/axle.

Glad he is okay.

xlrashn

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The kink has humbled me on a couple occasions. I have only had one track car that could take the kink flat out and it was also on full slicks. Gotta really respect that corner as a driver or it will bite you. Still, RA is my absolute favorite track. I think all in all I have about 3000 miles of seat time there and it never gets dull.

G

Gotvenom 08

The kink has humbled me on a couple occasions. I have only had one track car that could take the kink flat out and it was also on full slicks. Gotta really respect that corner as a driver or it will bite you. Still, RA is my absolute favorite track. I think all in all I have about 3000 miles of seat time there and it never gets dull.

Here are a few pics 2 seconds apart showing the "kink".Doesn't look bad till you experience it.As the drivers who did experience it can attest to.
You must be registered for see images attach

And you are correct X it never gets dull.

OP
OP
T

TSR6

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I've been to RA twice on Hoosier F75 slicks. I can't imagine taking the kink flat out. That definitely has to have a pucker factor.

G

Gotvenom 08

Posted twice,,,,,,,,,,,,,,OOPS

Last edited by a moderator:

Leslie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
yeh that kink DEFINITELY has a 'pucker' factor to it haha!

I ran there 2 yrs ago and it got me every lap

G

Gotvenom 08

I've been to RA twice on Hoosier F75 slicks. I can't imagine taking the kink flat out. That definitely has to have a pucker factor.

My limited experience is you make sure you hit inside of corner at speeds your are capable of and the car just wants to go to out side.I was fighting it and trying to turn in on corner but my instructor pointed out,let the cars momentum just take you(he called it just track it).It is so smooth when you do it correctly.As I was learning.Smooth is fast.No death grip on wheel,as I was doing earlier in sessions.My instructor said treat your car right and "she will" treat you right.The more sessions I ran the more it really did make sense and all come together.

OP
OP
T

TSR6

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My limited experience is you make sure you hit inside of corner at speeds your are capable of and the car just wants to go to out side.I was fighting it and trying to turn in on corner but my instructor pointed out,let the cars momentum just take you(he called it just track it).It is so smooth when you do it correctly.As I was learning.Smooth is fast.No death grip on wheel,as I was doing earlier in sessions.My instructor said treat your car right and "she will" treat you right.The more sessions I ran the more it really did make sense and all come together.

...to make matters worse, I ran at RA in a circle track stock car meant to turn left. We just took the lead from the left side frame rail and put it all on the right side to balance it as much as we could. Turning right? Who does that?:lmao:

G

Gotvenom 08

...to make matters worse, I ran at RA in a circle track stock car meant to turn left. We just took the lead from the left side frame rail and put it all on the right side to balance it as much as we could. Turning right? Who does that?:lmao:

You do.Well that indeed must have been fun.New meaning of taking the lead out.And repositioning it.:omg:

xlrashn

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Yes the pucker factor is absolutely brutal!!:omg: There is a point where you HAVE to commit to the flat out attack, and that is a definite point of no return. I do remember thinking the first time I committed to do it "this is either going to turn out REALLY good, or REALLY bad!".

I have since sold that car, and have yet to attempt it again.

It was awesome though.:headbang: