Another Valve Cover Question

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What is the role of the baffle in the valve cover?

Mine has been opened up (sorry don't have pix at the moment) via two 3/4 inch holes stamped above each valve. This clearly reduces any pressure buildup but also has the nice side effect of allowing oil to reach the PCV inlet easier....which sends some dead dinosaur juice into the cylinders. Not alot, just a smidge but that's a smidge too much for me.

So, what happens if you take the baffle out and build a small shroud around the PCV inlet to keep oil from having easy access to the intake?

With all the attention paid to casting-in the holes for the screws that hold the baffle in place, I'm sure its not just there for looks. :confused:

PhoenixGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Aside from baffling the vent hole, I think the goal of the baffle is to get oil to splash down on the rockers. Perhaps removing it would not be a good idea for that reason. And the reason you have the holes in your above each valve is most certainly because roller rockers bump into the baffle unless you do something to make more clearance (I dimpled mine rather than cut holes).

futureacrowner

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Building a smaller baffle around the pcv vent would work fine. Or replace the stock baffle and either dimple it for the rockers or put a spacer under the valve cover.

OP
OP
D

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks folks. Phoenix - how did you make the dimples? Did you do it by hand with a hammer and die or was done on a press?